Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

1. Voted Yes (84 votes [78.50%])

Percentage of vote: 78.50%

2. No (23 votes [21.50%])

Percentage of vote: 21.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

it patches the Win7 explorer file. Running the newer version complains about already patched file.

Oh I see.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
If one wanted to have everything automated the tool would have to download Win7 SP1 (500MB), extract explorer.exe & explorer.exe.mui from there and then patch them.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

roirraWedorehT

roirraWedorehT

The Keeper of a lot of Useless Knowledge

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

If one wanted to have everything automated the tool would have to download Win7 SP1 (500MB), extract explorer.exe & explorer.exe.mui from there and then patch them.

Actually, he probably would be allowed to for instance:

1. Create the patched Windows 7 Explorer file on his own machine.

2. Run a DIFF between the Windows 8 RP Explorer and his now patched Windows 7 one.

3. Do the same for the MUI.

4. Have his patcher apply the DIFFs to the RP Explorer and MUI to create the patched Windows 7 ones.

Beyond that his program would be the same, wait for user prompt to decide whether they want the Windows 7 Explorer or Windows 8 RP one.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
I've cleaned up this thread of unnecessary drama. Sorry if some on-topic stuff had to go with it.

For the record: we cannot legally share original MS files (from Windows or anything else, be it explorer.exe or whatever else). It's also against the forum rules, and understandably the site owner doesn't like getting DMCA takedown notices in his email. If someone doesn't like it, they can feel free to provide a better solution (while remaining legal of course).

Constructive criticism and on-topic discussion is more than welcome as usual. Let's keep it at that please.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
Anyway, how about getting Win7 SP1 explorer.exe from this hotfix?

http://support.micro....com/kb/2444677

x86: http://hotfixv4.micr...tl_i386_zip.exe (1.2 MB)

x64: http://hotfixv4.micr...ntl_x64_zip.exe (1.7 MB)
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
This explorer 7 is more interesting than I thought.
- Now there are sounds when I sign out, sign in or shut down or start the computer.
- With explorer 8, the automatic theme always makes the title bar and the taskbar have the same color when I change the wallpaper. This explorer 7 lets them choose color severally. The color of the taskbar always blends well with the color at the bottom of the wallpaper, while the title bar will have the dominate color of the whole picture. This means sometimes they have the same color, sometimes they have different color. And I really like this!

florin91

florin91
  • 8 posts
Are you sure this patch is still working?

I tried it today on Windows 8 x64 updated Build 8400 and it didn't worked. No start menu here!

Thanks!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

Anyway, how about getting Win7 SP1 explorer.exe from this hotfix?

expand the MSU and use expand.exe to extract the CAB.

I tried it today on Windows 8 x64 updated Build 8400 and it didn't worked. No start menu here!

have you used the 64Bit Explorer? Is the MUI at the correct place?
Posted Image

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
I wonder why he can't solve the problem relating to the scroll bar I mentioned in my own topic. It is explorer 7, and this problem doesn't happen on W7 at all.

In case there is a new update, I would like it possible to log out through the start menu instead of having to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

And ... I think Tomasz86 just offered where to get explorer 7, he didn't ask for the way how to get it!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

I think Tomasz86 just offered where to get explorer 7, he didn't ask for the way how to get it!

ok, I misunderstood this.
Posted Image

florin91

florin91
  • 8 posts

have you used the 64Bit Explorer? Is the MUI at the correct place?

Yeah, you were right! I didn't place the MUI in the /explorer7/en-US, it was rather in the explorer7 directory.

Now with the old explorer I'm wondering how can one connect to Wifi, since the network icon doesn't have that function like in windows 7 and the right menu isn't anymore.

And would the windows 8 explorer work in windows 7 ? Not that I want it, but just a testing question.

Thanks!

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
it could but would be crippled by some functions
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

Beta 2 released - attached to first post
- New Alt-tab window works;
- Start menu shutdown choices shows Log off, Switch user, Lock.

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

awesome, thanks :)

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
Posted Image

ftwelve

ftwelve
  • 1 posts
Thanks, I love it.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Actually, I always copy folder Explorer7 with the two needed unpatched files to a new place. Then I put the new patch into this folder and run it there. When I know the new explorer runs OK, what I need to do is delete the old folder. I don't have to change it back to explorer 8 before using the new patch.

Thanks for this upgrading.

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
Thanks for the update

Works great :thumbup

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Hell! I've just read through some old posts and find out I made a big mistake in this one:

I wonder why he can't solve the problem relating to the scroll bar I mentioned in my own topic. It is explorer 7, and this problem doesn't happen on W7 at all.

Actually, I wanted to ask why it couldn't solve my problem! And by "it" I mean explorer 7, I didn't mean you, Tihiy! Don't know why I didn't read my post carefully before posting it at that time.

Hey, Tihiy, you know well that I am a reasonable and polite person, right? I won't say something mindless like that!

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
Tihiy, unless you're the user mustdie, someone else is distributing your work without mentioning you.

Edited by UltimateSilence, 31 July 2012 - 12:41 AM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

kala

kala

• 12 posts
Weird thing the fact that ribbon is not explorer dependent. I know the main part of it is in explorerframe.dll , talking the guy who figured out that if we delete this we get rid of ribbon. Now to the point, wondering if we would import the file to Windows 7 explorerframe and add back/forward button images to .msstyle would we get ribbon in windows 7 explorer as well.

Edited by kala, 31 July 2012 - 06:01 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

Btw, it is possible to fix the "connect to network" dialog and bring the Win7 version back? I hate when Win8 fill so much space which this dialog.

Attached File  33919.png   120.22KB   69 downloads

(source: xpclients topic: http://www.msfn.org/...d-in-windows-8/)
Posted Image

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

Btw, it is possible to fix the "connect to network" dialog and bring the Win7 version back? I hate when Win8 fill so much space which this dialog.

You're not the only one. Win7 one is hard to port, but if you have Win8 DP around, you can try swapping pnidui.dll, van.dll and netshell.dll (and corresponding mui files) from system32 dir.

Edited by Tihiy, 31 July 2012 - 03:27 PM.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Tihiy, unless you're the user mustdie, someone else is distributing your work without mentioning you.

thats what you get when you show your work to MDL kids
its inevitable but they won't have most recent versions

Edited by vinifera, 01 August 2012 - 10:47 AM.

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,861 posts

Donator

Well, in any case, that's a Russian site, so Tihiy is better equipped than most of us to complain there. But, in any case, with threads about it here, and over in Neowin and MDL, all linking Tihiy to this product in particular, that "mustdie" must be out of his mind if he thinks he can get away with pretending to be the developer! :wacko:

Later edit: I don't think "mustdie" is trying to claim authorship, really.
I just noticed that just above the download link, there is a lone word: "Источник" that, according to Bing Translator means "Source", and if one hovers the mouse pointer above it, it's a link to the MDL thread. So I think he's just trying to spread the word. Of course Tihiy can complain about unauthorized redistribution... but I do not think he will. Posted Image

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Well, in any case, that's a Russian site, so Tihiy is better equipped than most of us to complain there. But, in any case, with threads about it here, and over in Neowin and MDL, all linking Tihiy to this product in particular, that "mustdie" must be out of his mind if he thinks he can get away with pretending to be the developer! :wacko:

Later edit: I don't think "mustdie" is trying to claim authorship, really.
I just noticed that just above the download link, there is a lone word: "Источник" that, according to Bing Translator means "Source", and if one hovers the mouse pointer above it, it's a link to the MDL thread. So I think he's just trying to spread the word. Of course Tihiy can complain about unauthorized redistribution... but I do not think he will. Posted Image

I just figured that he should know.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN