Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
313 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

1. Voted Yes (84 votes [78.50%])

Percentage of vote: 78.50%

2. No (23 votes [21.50%])

Percentage of vote: 21.50%

Vote

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,217 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

In post #3 Tihiy states that:

Explorer Ribbon is still there, it's not explorer.exe related!
Using explorer.exe from Windows 8 DP won't give solve many problems, it's shell32 which was cut of start menu features.

So, IMO, this means that Ribbon Disabler should work OK in the presence of patchex7-modded Explorer 7, just as well as it does with plain-vanilla Win 8.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Thanks. Upon closer reading I see in post #22 Tihiy specifically mentions Ribbon Disabler, so that confirms that. Now I just need clarification re the use of Classic Shell and/or Aero8Tuner with patchex7.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

kronflux

kronflux
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-July 11
is it just me, or is the volume control icon, and network icon and such missing?
is there a way we can get these back? as for volume control, I -assume- that simply replacing the sndvol.exe for windows 8 with the windows 7 one -might- work, as I assume the one windows 8 has is dependent or integrated on/into metro. but I have yet to try it.

Come on guys! Lets get this fully functional! this will make windows 8 -worth- it.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

is it just me, or is the volume control icon, and network icon and such missing?

You need to reset tray icon cache to get them working. Re-run patchex7, 7-Y-Y

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Excellent! I tried this patch and it really brings the original Win7 shell back. Now it would be interesting whether it is possible to bring back original Desktop Window Manager to have Aero Glass functionality back.

btw, maybe a bit offtopic, but is it possible to put background image on win8 login/welcome/restarting/shutting down screen? It is only a minority, but Win7 has nice background there and Win8 uses only a plain colour which looks ugly.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04
Nice work Tihiy! It should be obvious from the strong positive reception you wrapper gets everywhere it's found or posted it has a huge audience of appreciative users.

Have you considered creating a wrapper for Explorer libraries from the Windows 8 Developer Release or any of the public builds previous to the CP that also still had a fully functional Start Menu? Some of these builds also allowed you to display not just a Windows 8 Start Menu like this:

http://s15.postimage...l/screen739.jpg

But also a Charms Menu like this:

http://s15.postimage...tart_button.jpg

Or even depending on your settings and where you pointed your mouse -- both:

http://s16.postimage...mbdk3/bothp.jpg

The DP version of the Charms Menu was actually an improvement as it didn't steal the desktop the way the newer Charms Bar does, giving you more Windows 7 legacy Desktop like access to Metro when and/or if you wanted it.

It just seems to me that we might get more functionality in all directions using binaries from these earlier builds of Windows 8, but obviously you're the one making the effort and with the man skills so it's your call, and I'm pleased and thank you so much that you've made the effort you have!

:)

Edited by Tripredacus, 20 August 2012 - 07:57 AM.
removed img tags

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Can anyone else see those images?

The links are good when posted directly into the Address Bar, but they appear as empty boxes with the ALT text "POSTED IMAGE".

Weird.

EDIT: I am referring to the post #108 just above this one.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 19 August 2012 - 11:52 PM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04
Oh dear, some kind soul added working link, I edited out the links that looked like they weren't loading (in Opera) but in IE 10 apparently the the oppsite doesn't work -- cleaned my browser caches and everything before doing it...

:huh:

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
To hoak, I'll try to get them to display here in this comment. It looks like that hosting site is another that doesn't like embedding.

Here are the URL's of your three linked images ...
http://s15.postimage...l/screen739.jpg
http://s16.postimage...mbdk3/bothp.jpg

When embedded using those URL's (given by the hosting site I presume) they will not show.

But if you open them up each individually and then copy image address (in Opera) you will find these different URL's ...
http://s15.postimage...9/screen739.jpg
http://s16.postimage...168v7/bothp.jpg

Here I will embed those new URL's ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice pics. hoak, If you want to edit your post and change the URL's then I will delete them from here. Just let me know. NOTE: don't copy/paste the displayed text of the URL you see above because it uses ellipsis (...), instead, right-click 'copy link address' to get them.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
The images still doesn't work. You need to open them directly. Why don't just change the hosting site? :unsure:

post-47483-1123010975.png

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

The images still doesn't work. You need to open them directly. Why don't just change the hosting site? :unsure:

tomasz86, see the post above yours (I think we posted at the same time!).

His hosting site is okay, apparently they just gave him the standard web URL that shows the desired picture but also has some advertising and disclaimers. From there I pulled out the actual image URLs and included them above so he can edit them if he wishes.

EDIT: Ah I see now, they are using dynamic URLs at the hosting site within the original URL page. God I hate that. To hoak, tomasz86 is exactly right, you need to dump them. Photobucket still works okay, as does imgur and others.

P.S. Sorry for cluttering up the thread Tihiy!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 20 August 2012 - 07:18 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I saw the post above mine. The images are still not displayed there ("Posted Image") :angel

Edited by tomasz86, 20 August 2012 - 06:22 AM.

kronflux

kronflux
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-July 11

Windows 7 explorer.exe for Windows 8
Long story short, i made a wrapper to Windows 7 explorer.exe to run on Windows 8. You can try it now in order to have native Windows 7 desktop experience, without immersive shell bits enabled, saving RAM. New Windows Explorer features like ribbon and file copying are present.

You need to have Windows 8 RP or RTM (32-bit or 64-bit) installed. Works with Server 2012 too.

Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip).
It must be same bitness and same language (or en-US) version. You can use Server 2008 R2 too.
Extract them to directory like "c:\explorer7". Extact attached archive to that directory too. It should look like this:
C:\explorer7\explorer.exe
C:\explorer7\en-US\explorer.exe.mui
C:\explorer7\patchex7.exe
C:\explorer7\wrp32.dll
C:\explorer7\wrp64.dll

Launch patchex7.exe. It will patch windows 7 explorer.exe. Then choose "7" to set it as default shell in registry, terminate current explorer.exe and log you off.
After log-on you should see Windows 7 desktop.
To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry. Do this if you're upgrading patcher too.

Spread the word, i need to hear opinions. If you redistribute this build, make a link where you put it and don't forget my credits.

Could you please provide the source for this? I'd really like to see what exactly is being done, and maybe even tinker with it for other shells(windows xp perhaps?)
the other reason of course being that other developers might be able to provide input on ways to improve it.

kala

kala

• 12 posts
  • Joined 31-July 12

Could you please provide the source for this? I'd really like to see what exactly is being done, and maybe even tinker with it for other shells(windows xp perhaps?)
the other reason of course being that other developers might be able to provide input on ways to improve it.

Would be also interested in this.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,217 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

With all due respect, don't hold your breath. While Tihiy does always create free software, he rarely releases source code, and I, for one, think he's right in not releasing it. It truly is the only thing that allows an author to establish his authorship beyond reasonable doubt. I don't want this to become a hijack discussing the merits and shortcomings of open source, so, please, *do not* reply to this post, and let's keep ontopic. This is just for your information.

kala

kala

• 12 posts
  • Joined 31-July 12
Well if he don't want to he don't have to, im just saying if he don't mind, I'd love to take a look at it, I have some ideas which might work for recent thingy in start menu, nothing certain or sure. I respect his work, and would not release my own kind of thing without asking him, crediting him and so on. I just want to know how the heck did he wrote the wrapper and got rid of these errors. I know some programming in .NET and would really like to know how this thing is done and learn from it.

Tihiy, I dont force you to do anything, don't think that.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip).
It must be same bitness and same language (or en-US) version. You can use Server 2008 R2 too.
Extract them to directory like "c:\explorer7". Extact attached archive to that directory too. It should look like this:

I wonder if the files from Windows Thin PC (trial link here) work too. The ISO is much smaller (just 1,5 GB) than regular Windows 7 so people with slower Internet connections may prefer to download it in order to get the required files instead of downloading the normal ISO. Of course I'm talking about those who don't own a copy of Win7.

My guess is that the files will work but haven't tested it.

kala

kala

• 12 posts
  • Joined 31-July 12

I wonder if the files from Windows Thin PC (trial link here) work too. The ISO is much smaller (just 1,5 GB) than regular Windows 7 so people with slower Internet connections may prefer to download it in order to get the required files instead of downloading the normal ISO. Of course I'm talking about those who don't own a copy of Win7.

My guess is that the files will work but haven't tested it.

It should have normal win7 sp1 explorer.exe , im sure it'll work.

whitevandal

whitevandal
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 23-August 12
I have a stupid question, in clear violation of the imposed "no stupid questions" rule:

Any chance we'll be able to use this Win7 shell alongside Win8 Metro? As in, use this shell as the Windows 8 desktop view, and still retain metro functionality/look if we choose to switch out to that on the fly?

I don't like being restricted to metro and an awful desktop in default Win8, but I don't want to completely cut out the metro interface or metro apps.

Regardless, great work. This must have taken a lot of effort, but people unanimously dislike metro, so you've done so many people a huge favor completely for free. Kudos!

Edit: Clarity. Same amount of disregard for the rules, though.

Edited by whitevandal, 23 August 2012 - 10:01 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
@whitevandal

I think that Classic Shell will do what you want.

Edited by tomasz86, 23 August 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Any chance we'll be able to use this Win7 shell alongside Win8 Metro? As in, use this shell as the Windows 8 desktop view, and still retain metro functionality/look if we choose to switch out to that on the fly?

It won't be possible to reinstate Metro in win7 explorer since it doesn't have trusted signature, and circumventing it would require patching kernel. :ph34r:
Now i'm busy trying to restore pin list / mfu start menu functionality. It's hard work (CP->RP cut 200KB code off shell32.dll which i need to recreate). Metro bits require circumventing WinRT trust levels and i haven't succeeded yet.

Edited by Tihiy, 24 August 2012 - 03:01 AM.

kala

kala

• 12 posts
  • Joined 31-July 12
So CP had working these things?

Cannot wait for full functionality, would be awesome with WES8 (once its released). So that everything I wanted Windows 7 to be is there. Well, almost.

Edited by kala, 24 August 2012 - 03:22 AM.

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04

Now i'm busy trying to restore pin list / mfu start menu functionality. It's hard work (CP->RP cut 200KB code off shell32.dll which i need to recreate). Metro bits require circumventing WinRT trust levels and i haven't succeeded yet.

Succeed or not, it's very exiting news that you're looking into and working on it! If it's an impractical mess that can't be resolved, well that will be that, but cool cool you're up and at it Tihiy!

:thumbup

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,242 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Now i'm busy trying to restore pin list / mfu start menu functionality. It's hard work (CP->RP cut 200KB code off shell32.dll which i need to recreate).

wow, thanks, this would be awesome :) :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Edited by MagicAndre1981, 24 August 2012 - 08:37 AM.

Posted Image

imaginaryperson

imaginaryperson
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-August 12
Win 8 RTM 9200 (x64), Multimonitor-Setup. Works, following this guide

This tool manages to change the second screens taskbar color, independent of the color settings (haven't bothered to look into it any further yet):
http://www.softpedia...r-Changer.shtml

It seems like Microsoft is using RGBA everywhere, I just can't get why those idiots disabled any customization aside for preselected choices.
Simple transparency would be possible but only with patching and replacing dlls. It 's just that blur seems gone and
an completely transparent alpha channel would cause display issues (reminds me of early OpenGL bugs).

Also, if anyone is disliking the RTM skin (like those ugly close buttons) you are able to just do a downgrade to RP without patching anything at all:
http://forums.mydigi...Server-2012-RTM

Edit:

Seems like this tool generates a copy of your current wallpaper with the selected taskbar color applied.
Clever idea, but only usable if you are able to completely disable the taskbars background-color first.

Edit 2:

Screenshot possibility with WIN + PRINT shortcut is gone when using Win 7 Explorer.

Edit 3:

This tool removes the empty show desktop button on the right side:
http://www.door2wind...with-one-click/

Edited by imaginaryperson, 24 August 2012 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users