Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 (106 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

1. Voted Yes (83 votes [78.30%])

Percentage of vote: 78.30%

2. No (23 votes [21.70%])

Percentage of vote: 21.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Donator

You may also find some of the exploration and method used here in investigating how Server 2012 boots directly to Desktop after Desktop Experience is installed of interest.

I can create a tool which skips or disables metro totally or partially for Win8 explorer.exe, without any services. However, it's not interesting without proper Start menu and is totally different story.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Predator92

Predator92
  • 4 posts

My problem is that my patched Windows 7 explorer.exe don't start under Windows 8. When it tries to start after logon, just a colorized screen appears and the pointer. I can run everything with the task manager, and restoring the original shell with patchex7 is working. I think the problem is with my languange I using. I'm using Hungarian version of Windows 7 and 8, so I've used the Hungarian explorer.exe, and the explorer.exe.mui from the hu-HU folder. This can be the problem, or something that I've not tried yet?

If you have Hungarian versions of both Win7 and Win8 and placed explorer.exe.mui to "hu-HU" subfolder you should be fine. If not, you must use "en-US" explorer.exe.mui.

You can download MUI for win7 from Microsoft, any language:
http://www.mydigital...download-links/

Open downloaded exe with WinRAR and find explorer.exe.mui inside.

Thanks for the help, I will try it when I'm at home :)

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,946 posts

Donator

I'll probably slow down, i spend whole week digging this. With network icon working, this is finally usable with Wi-Fi connections.

ok, thanks for all your hard work, I'll test Beta5 later this day :) :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Impressive work Tihiy! You may also find some of the exploration and method used here in investigating how Server 2012 boots directly to Desktop after Desktop Experience is installed of interest.

this done by a function in the Explorer.exe and the TWinUI.dll called ShouldShowStartMenuOnLogin which checks for Server, next if DE Role is installed and if this role is installed it checks if the license explorer-CanSuppressStartMenuOnLogin is allowed for this edition. Next it checks if the GPO is set to skip Startscreen. if everything is set it allows to boot directly to the desktop.
Posted Image

Predator92

Predator92
  • 4 posts
I didn't place in the right directory the explorer.exe.mui file... I placed it now at the hu-HU folder and it works very well. Marvelous work Tihiy!

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Impossible to get Flip 3D back compared to the useless Win+Tab switcher which is just a vertical version of Alt-Tab?

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

I didn't place in the right directory the explorer.exe.mui file... I placed it now at the hu-HU folder and it works very well. Marvelous work Tihiy!

This seems to be a recurring problem for folks even though it is very clearly spelled out in the instructions. Anyone have any ideas how to make the requirement for proper file placement stand out even better so RTFM responses aren't required as often? Instructions in bold, different colors, flashing text, large arrows, what will it take?

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,946 posts

Donator

the Chinese are working on an Aero Glass patch:

Posted Image

http://bbs.pcbeta.co...125358-1-1.html

With Aero Glass and this Explorer patch I'll upgrade to Win8 when the upgrade offer starts :)
Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

the Chinese are working on an Aero Glass patch:

I hope he is successful but that screenshot doesn't indicate any progress except for some transparency so far. I'm definitely rooting for him though :thumbup

There is chatter of it being faked and other chatter stating he is a softie who has the 'removed code' and plans to re-integrate it. Should be interesting! More discussion on this specific Aero Glass effort ...

Aero Glass [Discuss] open Aero Glass ( PC Beta 2012-09-01<-- probably local date ) ( Chinese source page sorta translated by Google )

Aero-Glass in Windows 8 RTM, by re-instating the Aero Source Codes ( MDL 2012-08-31 )

Windows 8 may get Aero Glass back via modder ( NeoWin 2012-09-01 )

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
I don't know why W8 RTM does look brighter than W8 RP. As usual, I choose to use the automatic theme, choose the same picture to set as wallpaper, and it picks the color quite differrently. It never displays a dark theme no matter how dark the wallpaper is!

I haven't tried Explorer7 on this version yet.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Thank you Tihiy
For making Win 8 bearable for us hard core Window users. :thumbup
Have to download latest from technet before I can try this out.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 03 September 2012 - 06:59 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

the Chinese are working on an Aero Glass patch

isn't simple uxtheme patch enough ?
borders are pictures anyway, no need for hacks
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,946 posts

Donator

no, the Uxtheme patch only allows 3rd party theme fines. The rendering is done by the DWM. The strange thing is the RTM still contains the code to draw Glass.
Posted Image

Riyyi

Riyyi
  • 4 posts
I don't know what is happening but with b5a when I login I see the desktop and the start orb for a sec but then it crashes back to metro and the orb is gone.
With b4 it works just fine, I even tried it with a clean explorer.exe and .mui

I am using Windows 8 Enterprise x64 with the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 explorer.exe and .mui

It does work on my laptop which has Windows 8 Pro x64 on it.
~

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Donator

Please try attached version (others please don't).

Edited by Tihiy, 05 September 2012 - 02:47 AM.

Riyyi

Riyyi
  • 4 posts

That's bad. Can you send me all shortcuts from your desktop?

This one does work, thanks.
What did you mean by: all shortcuts on desktop?
All my application shortcuts or the explorer7 folder with the explorer.exe etc. in it.
~

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Donator

Can you help I have info about Aero which work with your Patchex7-b5 only - (will not work in metro) but I do not know were to post.

I'm all yours. Send me a PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Donator

Beta 6 is here - attached to first post
- Fix: shell could crash if broken shortcuts were on desktop
- AutoPlay now works (no toast)
- Win-P now works
- Other minor improvements

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
OMG! Tihiy you are a genius! AutoPlay is back in the same window!!! If only the Open With window can also be brought back.

Edit: Oh dear! It's the same window as you pointed out. Then Windows 7 for me.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Donator

AutoPlay is back in the same window!!!

No, it's still same window, but you don't get "Choose what to do with removable drives" popup.

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
Cool, I am downloading it for RP. I don't want to use it on RTM.

Er... why do you change the poll, Tihiy? Now the result is all zero!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,946 posts

Donator

Beta 6 is here - attached to first post
- Fix: shell could crash if broken shortcuts were on desktop
- AutoPlay now works (no toast)
- Win-P now works
- Other minor improvements

Posted Image

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
So impressive, especially so for 'strange hacker who never finishes his work'! When you're satisfied you've gone as far as you can with your wrapper, you might want to consider putting the whole shebang in an installer that asks for the User's Windows 7 or Server 2008R2 DVD, and does the rest for them, and asking for some remuneration or at least donations for your effort!

:)

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
Unfortunately I just un-installed Windows 8 and forgot to check the following with Tihiy's Windows 7 shell for Windows 8, and if anyone would like to follow up I'd be very interested in what you discover...

Windows 8 now requires the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service running as it hosts the OpenGL compositer which is now required for the Windows 8 Explorer shell to run. This was not the previously the case in Windows 7 and you'd just get the 'Native Unskinned' UI, could save considerable resource by disabling the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" and "Themes" Services, avoid ssues with some applications and gamas that use OpenGL and/or DirectX, and also see substantial performance improvements with some applications and games...

I'm wondering if the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service can now be stopped with Tihiy's shell installed/enabled, and if that is the case, if the Metro/Modern boot recover UI requires this Service in order to be accessed?

:huh:

Edited by hoak, 06 September 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Donator

I'm wondering if the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service can now be stopped with Tihiy's shell installed/enabled, and if that is the case, if the Metro/Modern boot recover UI requires this Service in order to be accessed?

Yep, it can be stopped (disabled). Logon ui would be black and boot gui - likely.

Edited by Tihiy, 06 September 2012 - 04:24 PM.

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Yep, it can be stopped (disabled). Logon ui would be black and boot gui - likely.

Thank you Tihiy! This will likely make you're project essential for a lot of Developers that that use 3D render software, as well as Gamers that are already seeing issues with the default inability to stop the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service in Windows 8.

Sooner or later (probably later) I'll get a look at how having this Windows Service disabled actually effects configuring and using the Windows 8 restore and recovery options.

In the mean time this is probably one thing for people that may jump on board with Tihiy's 7 Explorer Shell just to get this Service out of their way to be aware of; i.e. if you hose something up with the Service disabled you may need to find a way to get it going again to use Window 8 recovery options, or recover your system.

Awesome project! Impressive progress!

:thumbup

Edited by hoak, 06 September 2012 - 05:31 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Naver (1)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN