Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

1. Voted Yes (84 votes [78.50%])

Percentage of vote: 78.50%

2. No (23 votes [21.50%])

Percentage of vote: 21.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

@Tihiy

do you know why the "show desktop" button is now larger? In former patches it has the same size like in Windows 7.

Attached File  Win8_patch_Win7_explorer.png   16.01KB   9 downloads
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

do you know why the "show desktop" button is now larger? In former patches it has the same size like in Windows 7.

It is found that win8 thinks you have touch input and thus gives you touch-optimized button. Are you sure previous patches had smaller button? Can anyone confirm? Test with previous version.

Edited by Tihiy, 10 September 2012 - 02:57 PM.

SIW2

SIW2

• 29 posts
  • Joined 02-August 08
Tihiy,

Thanks.

It makes a huge difference to my pe build.

It might look like there haven't been many downloads - but your patchex is being used widely all over the world.

Youe efforts are appreciated. :thumbup

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

It is found that win8 thinks you have touch input and thus gives you touch-optimized button.

ah, good point! I'm now using Vmware player 5 and no longer virtualbox. And VMware seems to emulate touch in the VM.
Posted Image

Aloha

Aloha

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
I'm using beta 6 on RP now. Show desktop button looks small as usual. I didn't notice how it looked like with beta 5 or older version, but I believe it always looks small.

BTW, Happy Birthday Tihiy! Wishing you good health and happiness in life!

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Beta 7 is here - attached to first post
- Tray icon settings are stored separately for explorer7; wipe no longer needed
- Show Desktop button has slightly different style
- Windows start-up sound is always played

You must uninstall previous versions first to reset tray icon settings for the last time.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

nice :)
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Only 26 Downloads And I know Two are from me?? really people? This hack this the best, I like to think that most people are not downloading because they can't get the Windows shell files correctly. Happy coding and mods thanks for deleting some of my posts. ;)

Probably not many forum users are using Windows 8 :whistle:

Guests are unable to download files.

post-47483-1123010975.png

cad

cad

• 10 posts
  • Joined 07-August 04
Thank You,
I have used a few other programs for this, and I must say this by far the best.

FisoFizzy

FisoFizzy
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-September 12
Yeah, it works (on es-ES)!
Now, I ve got a 7... :sneaky:

ace1

ace1

• 21 posts
  • Joined 09-August 12
@Tihiy

Great work keep it up.

B.T.W You derserve all the credit for being able to enable aero glass in Win8RTM. :thumbup
I know it not working GREAT BUT ITS A START.
I think you could make it work PROPERLY, I hope you will look into IT.
I will not be making any more POST :hello:

Sheldon

Sheldon

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 15-September 12
Thank you very much, Tihiy. It is just great!

I made a screenshot, so you know, it works fine:
Posted Image

Edited by Sheldon, 15 September 2012 - 10:49 AM.

gnsks

gnsks
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 12-September 12
I have registered only to thank you for this, you've turned Windows 8 into something usable. It's working great for me so far, the only issue I had is that I had to unpin Windows Explorer from the taskbar, and pin it manually again because two instances were showing on the taskbar before that.

Thanks again.

yatsura2k

yatsura2k
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12
More thanks to Tihiy for making Win8 usable.

I do have a bug report though -
If you select a high-contrast theme it breaks the Personalization control panel,
preventing you from making further changes.

Yatsura

JJerome

JJerome
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 17-September 12
isn't this in violation of the EULA? oh yes it is!

"- You may NOT repackage, translate, adapt, vary, modify, alter, create derivative works based upon, or integrate any other computer programs with, the Product in whole or in part."

"- You may NOT decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Product except to the extent that you may be expressly permitted to reverse engineer or decompile under applicable law."

Microsoft is not forcing anything on anyone, if you want to use a Start Menu, use Windows 7 or earlier. Or use a third-party program. I personally love the Start Screen. They (rightly) decided to move forward in Windows 8. Much like Windows 3.1 - > Windows 95.

Nevermind that the Start Screen still has instant search, pinning, and also live tiles, better screen estate, item grouping, etc.
If we had your way, we'd still be using the Program Manager.
They kept the new Start Menu until Windows 7. That gave it a good life of 8 years. Now we're on to bigger, better things.

When Windows 7 was in beta, adherents of the Classic Start Menu were told "it's time to move on", yet the same people who rebuked these adherents don't want to lose their Windows 7 Start Menu. Irony at its finest.

Oh and as for the people complaining about it being "hard to shutdown", do yourself a favor and press Alt+F4 while you're on the desktop.
If memory serves, you can create a shortcut in Windows 8 to shutdown or restart your computer. Place it on the desktop, taskbar, or pin it to the Start Screen.

To shutdown,
Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

To restart,
Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

Problem solved.

Edited by JJerome, 17 September 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,845 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Considering YOU have to provide all files and then the program\scripts modify and patch the files on your computer ONLY then this is fully legal...

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

"- You may NOT repackage, translate, adapt, vary, modify, alter, create derivative works based upon, or integrate any other computer programs with, the Product in whole or in part."

I didn't. Who use do, but adapting programs for personal use is absolutely legal in most countries.

"- You may NOT decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Product except to the extent that you may be expressly permitted to reverse engineer or decompile under applicable law."

You didn't. Someone else did (under applicable law), otherwise we wouldn't be having any kind of programs which change Windows UI.

This talk is pointless because my work is legal for me. For you, it is too, unless you have a law which explicely disallows this. Also it's pointless because you troll.

In other news, i didn't have time to work on project but hope to bring good news soon.

JJerome

JJerome
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 17-September 12

You didn't. Someone else did (under applicable law), otherwise we wouldn't be having any kind of programs which change Windows UI.

The user of your patch doesn't modify any Windows files, but someone else does for you. ...Isn't that a loophole?

This talk is pointless because my work is legal for me. For you, it is too, unless you have a law which explicely disallows this.

Oh contraire. I wonder how Microsoft would feel about such an endeavor? Perhaps we should ask to make sure that it's O.K?

Also it's pointless because you troll.

...One post is trolling? That's new.

Edited by JJerome, 18 September 2012 - 12:31 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
M$ EULA itself is probably illegal in most countries :ph34r:

post-47483-1123010975.png

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Oh contraire. I wonder how Microsoft would feel about such an endeavor? Perhaps we should ask to make sure that it's O.K?

You should. Also try to find a precedent of legal persecution for patching windows files to change ui with various programs.

...One post is trolling? That's new.

Registering just to bash my work i consider trolling. Or obsessive agressive behavior, you call it.

JJerome

JJerome
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 17-September 12

You should. Also try to find a precedent of legal persecution for patching windows files to change ui with various programs.

Will do.
And I have no interest in legal persecution. I merely stated that it isn't (to my knowledge) legal.

Registering just to bash my work i consider trolling. Or obsessive agressive behavior, you call it.

Please, I don't wish for you to misunderstand me. I've only come here to prevent another Windows from being panned. Your patch is to my objective...how do I put it delicately? A fly in the ointment.
Now on the surface, this appears to be a contradiction, since people may actually want to use Windows 8 due to your patch. However, sometimes a product becomes such a convenient whipping boy that we lose sight of what it really is... Windows 8 is maligned in the same way, and by the same crowd of clueless tech bloggers. Your patch gives the impression that the start menu is absolutely necessary for the operating system to be usable, not to mention throwing out Microsoft's hard work.

Edited by JJerome, 18 September 2012 - 01:23 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Windows 8 is maligned in the same way, and by the same crowd of clueless tech bloggers. Your patch gives the impression that the start menu is absolutely necessary for the operating system to be usable.

Ah so you hate everyone, not just me. That's good. Long story short, there is target audience for this product so there is point for it to exist. I agree it's technically not the best implementation possible, but it's good enough. Feel free to bash.

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04
As someone that collaborated on a project that took a similar approach to what Tihiy is doing, that actually became a retail 'product' called 98lite, now hosted and still sold apparently here -- I can offer that we contacted numerous Attorneys and even Microsoft and no one felt there was ground for concern none less legal redress.

While Microsoft may have become a more litigious company since then, their attitude toward small independent projects, even those that make money and/or may walk a thin line of legality (like MDL) has ranged from benign curiosity to passive indifference.

Many Micrisoft Employees used Mark Russinovich's System Internals Tools before he was hired by the company which he sold (and did require substantial reverse engineering of Windows System Internals); as well even more Microsoft Employees use Nir Sofer's excellent tools and utilities today, some of which take a far more aggressive approach then anything Tihiy has done...

I can confidently report there are Microsoft employees that are as pleased with Tihiy's project as Fans in this thread, and if there is ever any contention over Tihiy's work he'd have probably heard from Micosoft already and will have a very generous notice if that changes...

:)

Edited by hoak, 18 September 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08

I wonder how Microsoft would feel about such an endeavor?

Actually MS already know, some member of this forum already try to post about Tihiy's excellent works on MS forums.
And their reaction? They delete it on sight, almost to made it never there.
And no, they not even bother to comment their feeling abot Tihy's works..

So, i'm trully suggest you ask them, again.

not to mention throwing out Microsoft's hard work.

Hard work can be misguided though,
with many who find a way to circumvent the Metro or Start Screen (full-screen taskbar) floating in the net,
why can't MS take hints about it?

- How to disable Metro (now dubbed as Name-less Crap) Interface?
- Wheres my aero/glasses? why can't folk at MS take hints that Ugly-Fication is more DisTractIng than beautificaion? (as folk at MS want us to believe the otherwise?)
- Why are hell, I must use my computer like I use my tablet ?

MS Hard work should be directed at something more useful, not for crap like windows8 user-interface.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,970 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Rest assured, Microsoft knows what goes on in this forum. If at any time they may find something on MSFN that is illegal, we will take care of it. No need to get angry about it. :rolleyes:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users