Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Software to expand names that start with @ in registry?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05
I guess they are MUI names. For example, under the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip] there are values:

"Description"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\tcpipcfg.dll,-50003"
"DisplayName"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\tcpipcfg.dll,-50003"

I want to:

1. See the strings.
2. Maybe replace them in some places.
3. (optionally) work from CLI - I just give it the parameter

Can Resource Hacker do it? Does it even work on Windows 7? (such strings are present in other versions of Windows, but their number in 7 has increased.)

Does anyone know if there is an automated software to replace in bulk? (with necessary checks, of course, maybe after visual inspection.)

GL

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,411 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Hmmm... don't know but... does this or this help?

Edited by submix8c, 14 July 2012 - 01:00 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05
Well, I'm not that good at scripting to find out if the first link contains the part that I need or how to extract it. :( It seems to me it has hardcoded values, but I might be wrong. The second link lists the changes someone/some program did.

I want to do something like muicache does, at first just to see the descriptions, and later maybe to replace them. Not necessarily to kill muicache (but I will try... Soon B) ). Additionally, I want to find a quick way to read these resources which are in many places in Windows, not only in MUI descriptions/strings/whatever they are. I think they are also in .lnk files and elsewhere.

GL

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,411 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
I will assume that Reshacker would work in Compatibility Mode and "Run As Administrator". I don't have access to a Win7 Install ATM (on another HDD not hooked up) but looking at XP, it appears that it might be inside the "Messages" resource. :unsure: I would be wary of "modifying" the files as that may break something. :ph34r:

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users