• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrofLuigi

Software to expand names that start with @ in registry?

4 posts in this topic

I guess they are MUI names. For example, under the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip] there are values:

"Description"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\tcpipcfg.dll,-50003"

"DisplayName"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\tcpipcfg.dll,-50003"

I want to:

1. See the strings.

2. Maybe replace them in some places.

3. (optionally) work from CLI - I just give it the parameter

Can Resource Hacker do it? Does it even work on Windows 7? (such strings are present in other versions of Windows, but their number in 7 has increased.)

Does anyone know if there is an automated software to replace in bulk? (with necessary checks, of course, maybe after visual inspection.)

GL

Hmmm... don't know but... does this or this help?

Edited by submix8c

Well, I'm not that good at scripting to find out if the first link contains the part that I need or how to extract it. :( It seems to me it has hardcoded values, but I might be wrong. The second link lists the changes someone/some program did.

I want to do something like muicache does, at first just to see the descriptions, and later maybe to replace them. Not necessarily to kill muicache (but I will try... Soon B) ). Additionally, I want to find a quick way to read these resources which are in many places in Windows, not only in MUI descriptions/strings/whatever they are. I think they are also in .lnk files and elsewhere.

GL

I will assume that Reshacker would work in Compatibility Mode and "Run As Administrator". I don't have access to a Win7 Install ATM (on another HDD not hooked up) but looking at XP, it appears that it might be inside the "Messages" resource. :unsure: I would be wary of "modifying" the files as that may break something. :ph34r: