Can't use OTF fonts in Win2k

Asp

Windows 2k, installed SP5.1 and UURollup 10b.

I cannot install or use any OTF fonts.

Clicking on any OTF font gives me an error "The requested file X:....otf is not a valid font file."

The font editor FontLab just crashes if I try to open any OTF font.

On my previous Win2k machine, I could use OTF fonts with no issues.

Googling I found that this can be caused by an issue with Nvidia drivers. See http://www.thomasphinney.com/tag/install/

However, I tried the recommended registry hack, but it had no effect.

Further, if I booted in safe mode with VGA drivers, I still got the same error attempting to open any OTF.

Any point in uninstalling the Nvidia driver, even after the safe mode check seems to show it's innocent?

I'm not sure if this issue existed before I installed the SP5.1 or UU10b, as installing OTF fonts is not a frequent task. But it is important that I be able to do this.

Any clues on diagnosis or cure?

Edited by Asp

Confirmed. The WildBill's atmfd.dll 5.0.2.231 is buggy. The problem will be fixed in the next version of UURollup. If you want an instant fix then download KB980218, unpack it and manually replace your atmfd.dll from %systemroot%\system32 and %systemroot%\system32\dllcache with atmfd.dll from the update. You can use Replacer to easily replace system files.

Edit: Actually the XP file seems to work correctly too. I'll probably include it in the next stable version of UURollup.

Edited by tomasz86

It's good to know that the solution worked :)

By the way, has anything changed about the blank icons problem you described last time? I think the glitch is caused by mixing WildBill's 32-bit icon support with BlackWingCat's shell32.dll. If it is so then there are two ways of "fixing" it:

1) Bring back WB's shell32.dll. I wouldn't like to do it as the BWC version adds many useful APIs not present in the WB one.

2) Remove the 32-bit icon support, i.e. use comctl32.dll from XP and win32k.sys from BWC. I'm also not sure about this way of solving the problem but at least we don't lose any functionalities due to it (we can rather gain some more APIs thanks to the XP's comctl32.dll).

By the way, has anything changed about the blank icons problem you described last time? I think the glitch is caused by mixing WildBill's 32-bit icon support with BlackWingCat's shell32.dll. If it is so then there are two ways of "fixing" it:

No, if I change the association and thus icon of any extension, they all still get the blank icon.

Also, I can't edit the open command, using the "advanced" option as I think I used to be able to. Now for any association I have changed I only have "change" (to select an application) or "restore" to return to whatever Windows thinks is the default association.

That is actually more annoying than the blank icons, as sometimes I want to customise the open command.

I don't care at all about how many colours in the con, if the other issues can be fixed I'd be happy with b/w icons.

Edited by Asp

Also, I can't edit the open command, using the "advanced" option as I think I used to be able to. Now for any association I have changed I only have "change" (to select an application) or "restore" to return to whatever Windows thinks is the default association.

That is actually more annoying than the blank icons, as sometimes I want to customise the open command.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't think there's anything in UURollup which would cause such behaviour. Could you provide some screen shots to show what the problem is exactly about?

I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't think there's anything in UURollup which would cause such behaviour. Could you provide some screen shots to show what the problem is exactly about?

Well whatever the root cause I thought that problems with extensions would be related.

Note that there is no "Advanced" option for txt, unlike doc.

post-52389-0-10068200-1343141146_thumb.p

I guess that this can be accessed via the Registry, or by 3rd party tools.

Edited by Asp

I've just tested it and this is normal system behaviour. It has nothing to do with unofficial updates :angel

Okay.

So it's a Windows "feature" that you can't configure the command lines if you aren't using the default app.

I'll look into 3rd party utilities then.

Coming back to the icon problem, I think all issues should be gone with the newest test version of UURollup-v11:

The 32-bit icon support has been removed. As before, feel free to try it or you can just wait for the next stable release :)

Edited by tomasz86