Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Minimal Updates for Win98SE?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

jayjech

jayjech
  • 3 posts
Since Windows Update is no longer active for Win98, can someone help direct me to the most minimal upgrade / service pack available? I would like to get any updates that improve overall stability and compatibility of the OS, without changing the look/feel. If I wanted Windows ME icons, I'd install Windows ME, do you know what I mean?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
PROBLEMCHYLD's Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition Service Pack 3.4 (formerly Gape's) is what you need. This is the most recent, and the most complete. It is configurable. Just check off only what you want. Make sure you do some reading and understand the service pack before installing. And as always, BACKUP your data first.

jayjech

jayjech
  • 3 posts
Sadly, that's one of the many unofficial upgrades that replaces many system icons with Windows ME style. There's no option to preserve the Windows 98 look/feel. (Icons are replaced regardless of Windows 2000 theme checkbox.)

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,274 posts
Have you tried looking here? Lists and links to both official and unofficial. There are actually three "update packages" available, BTW.

Edited by submix8c, 03 August 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

jayjech

jayjech
  • 3 posts
Thanks! I think what I'm looking for would be considered a "cumulative update pack" vs an "unofficial service pack." Looks like there are several options available in that list.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,274 posts
Actually, if you look real close, you'll find a link to a List of all Official (and Unofficial) updates that you can individually download...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 810 posts

Donator

Sadly, that's one of the many unofficial upgrades that replaces many system icons with Windows ME style. There's no option to preserve the Windows 98 look/feel. (Icons are replaced regardless of Windows 2000 theme checkbox.)

I also find this icon replacement business very annoying. Use EXPLORER.EXE from inside NUSB and SHELL32.DLL from Q313829 to restore the original 98 Icons. You will also need to delete the "ShellIconCache" file from DOS or another OS after replacing these files.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Only a few people made a big deal about the icons being change, so I ignored it because at the end of the day,
theres always gonna be someone who doesn't like something about it. :}
If someone want the original Win98 icons, you can install the SP and then replace the necessary files from the links below.

http://www.msfn.org/...0-and-its-mods/
http://www.msfn.org/...__1#entry572137
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__981391

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 04 August 2012 - 07:53 AM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
Another solution to using the SP is to add a higher version number to EXPLORER.EXE + SHELL32.DLL, so anytime you install a new version of the SP it won't replace your lovely icons. This is the best way to have your cake and eat it too. :thumbup

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts

Since Windows Update is no longer active for Win98, can someone help direct me to the most minimal upgrade / service pack available? I would like to get any updates that improve overall stability and compatibility of the OS, without changing the look/feel. If I wanted Windows ME icons, I'd install Windows ME, do you know what I mean?

A new version has been released with original icons. Version 3.6 is what you might want. :whistle:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN