Minimal Updates for Win98SE?

jayjech

Since Windows Update is no longer active for Win98, can someone help direct me to the most minimal upgrade / service pack available? I would like to get any updates that improve overall stability and compatibility of the OS, without changing the look/feel. If I wanted Windows ME icons, I'd install Windows ME, do you know what I mean?

PROBLEMCHYLD's Unofficial Windows 98 Second Edition Service Pack 3.4 (formerly Gape's) is what you need. This is the most recent, and the most complete. It is configurable. Just check off only what you want. Make sure you do some reading and understand the service pack before installing. And as always, BACKUP your data first.

Sadly, that's one of the many unofficial upgrades that replaces many system icons with Windows ME style. There's no option to preserve the Windows 98 look/feel. (Icons are replaced regardless of Windows 2000 theme checkbox.)

Thanks! I think what I'm looking for would be considered a "cumulative update pack" vs an "unofficial service pack." Looks like there are several options available in that list.

Sadly, that's one of the many unofficial upgrades that replaces many system icons with Windows ME style. There's no option to preserve the Windows 98 look/feel. (Icons are replaced regardless of Windows 2000 theme checkbox.)

I also find this icon replacement business very annoying. Use EXPLORER.EXE from inside NUSB and SHELL32.DLL from Q313829 to restore the original 98 Icons. You will also need to delete the "ShellIconCache" file from DOS or another OS after replacing these files.

Only a few people made a big deal about the icons being change, so I ignored it because at the end of the day,

theres always gonna be someone who doesn't like something about it. :}

If someone want the original Win98 icons, you can install the SP and then replace the necessary files from the links below.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Another solution to using the SP is to add a higher version number to EXPLORER.EXE + SHELL32.DLL, so anytime you install a new version of the SP it won't replace your lovely icons. This is the best way to have your cake and eat it too. :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

Since Windows Update is no longer active for Win98, can someone help direct me to the most minimal upgrade / service pack available? I would like to get any updates that improve overall stability and compatibility of the OS, without changing the look/feel. If I wanted Windows ME icons, I'd install Windows ME, do you know what I mean?

A new version has been released with original icons. Version 3.6 is what you might want. :whistle: