Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Customized XP installer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Lord Wolf

Lord Wolf

• 21 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

So if you have an XP disc of any kind, or can obtain one, that you can update and modify using submix8c's instructions or something similar, along with nLite, RVMIntegrator, HFSLIP, or whatever your method of choice might be, then that's probably what you should do. If you do happen to find a legal source to download an XP ISO, please let us know because I'm sure there are others who would be interested.

Trust me, if I find one, I'll be sure to share. Of course before doing so, as I'm sure you can understand, I'll be checking to make sure that it is legal/legit. Not only because I don't want to get into any trouble for sharing it, but also to ensure that I don't download/use something that could have a trojan in it.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

I'm sorry, but unlike Win7, I am not aware of any place to legally download a copy of an XP ISO of any variety, unless you have a TechNet subscription.

So if you have an XP disc of any kind, or can obtain one, that you can update and modify using submix8c's instructions or something similar, along with nLite, RVMIntegrator, HFSLIP, or whatever your method of choice might be, then that's probably what you should do. If you do happen to find a legal source to download an XP ISO, please let us know because I'm sure there are others who would be interested.

My own opinion is that Microsoft had planned a side business of providing replacement media. Official avenue to get media ...

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Hasn't worked out according to plan really. I believe they simply missed the boat here, being a lumbering behemoth and all. In other words they could have easily used the internet infrastructure to fill the needs of people by posting an ISO (refreshed with each SP). Much of a Windows CD/DVD is found in the large service packs anyway, their sizes are usually more than one half the size of the distribution disc. And, since they went to activation there is really no excuse for the runaround. But it is what it is. There are no fully legal methods for most people to get what you mentioned except for that link. And when you consider how bad Microsoft wants to kill WinXP, it's a miracle that any avenues exist at all.

Keeping in mind that Microsoft support is not completely averse to asking "can you borrow a friend's disc?" (stated in various other forum comments) but stopping short of suggesting to "find an ISO and burn it", we can assume there are several tiers of legality in their minds. But one thing is absolutely for sure, the legality of obtaining an ISO outside of official avenues is a completely separate issue to the rules here (a completely clean and exceptionally well moderated forum) so some things are just better left unsaid! IMHO, it is better for people to go to SevenForums and MDL and do their own research and then, take their own risks.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

Lord Wolf

Lord Wolf

• 21 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Keeping in mind that Microsoft support is not completely averse to asking "can you borrow a friend's disc?" (stated in various other forum comments) but stopping short of suggesting to "find an ISO and burn it", we can assume there are several tiers of legality in their minds. But one thing is absolutely for sure, the legality of obtaining an ISO outside of official avenues is a completely separate issue to the rules here (a completely clean and exceptionally well moderated forum) so some things are just better left unsaid! IMHO, it is better for people to go to SevenForums and MDL and do their own research and then, take their own risks.

Yeah I've seen references, I believe on a Microsoft site (like answers.microsoft.com) and by a MS employee who clarified that it's okay to borrow a disc, so long as they use their own unique key (said in a way that basically says that a key can only be used on one install at a time).

Not sure if you and I are on the same 'page', but when you say "outside of official avenues" and whatever, if it's not by legal means then I don't want to risk it. I'm sure that's what you were referring to but just clarifying my stand on things. If someone (be it me or someone else) is able to provide a link to an ISO and it can be demonstrated/proven that it's legal, then I'm sure that the staff of this site will be fine with it, although asking first would definitely be a good step to take.

Since no one seems to have been able to provide such a resource yet, odds are that there are no resources (legal ones that is). Oh well, just have to hope I can come across that disc if I'm unable to 'piece' one together myself. If not then just have to deal with not using the key. I have multiple product keys for XP Pro, so not a big deal unless I come to a point where I actually NEED one more key.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,282 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
http://www.msfn.org/...tion=boardrules

Aside from the ISO, please read rules 7a, 7b, and 7d, Sir Lord Wolf. If you should reread the thread, you'll see your reactions to a number of senior members.

As for the ISO, AFAIK only MSDN/Technet (and SEL/VAR, whatever) had those available.It just won't happen unless it's illegal so don't even bother. As stated repeatedly (AND in the PM's you HAD to bring up in this thread :realmad: ), DROP it and use the supplied info I gave to "roll your own" as SPECIFICALLY stated in Post #17. I'm absolutely POSITIVE of the "list"/key-info so trust it or not - your choice.

(Some people just don't appreciate honest criticism/assistance.)

On a side note, you (I "assume" it's you) DID provide a couple of Unattended info's. Thanks. (See how easy that is?)

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN