Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnhc

W8 Release Preview SHA-1?

23 posts in this topic

which Antivirus software do you use?

MagicAndre1981, I use Comodo on my HW but none on my VM. I have bad DLs on both. As near as I can tell, the failures are just random. Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: I have no evidence of bad DLs on any other file(s).

Edited by johnhc

The problem remains UNRESOLVED. I have DLed the file many times using FDM and it has the wrong SHA-1 most of the time. I am tired of DLing and I am sure the MS server is also, so I give up now that I have a valid copy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Sorry if I missed it upthread, but are you downloading from a web browser? There is / was a problem in Opera resulting in random bad downloads.

If you are using Opera I will elaborate.

CharlotteTheHarlot, thanks. You missed some of it. I am not using Opera. I have seen failures in IE9, Chrome and Free Download Manager (FDM). I have not kept a record, but I think I have about 10 DLs all total with one success in IE9 and one in FDM. Both of my successes were using the direct link shown above. Thanks and enjoy, John.

which network card do you use?

which network card do you use?

I have an ASRock MB and it contains a Broadcom NIC (in fact, two) - Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet. Drivers are most recent released by ASRock. Thanks and enjoy, John.

@OP, I used NetXFer (NetTransport) btw and max. download connections=1 setting.

@OP, I used NetXFer (NetTransport) btw and max. download connections=1 setting.

Thanks, xpclient. I DLed NetTransport ,installed (on a VM), took all defaults and DLed the W8 RP. SHA-1 was correct - first try! The "Max concurrent tasks" was set to 10, but I saw only two connections (TCPView). The DL speed was somewhat less than my ISP speed (25 minutes vs 15 for FDM). I then went over to HW and DLed the file using FDM (20 sections-like threads, I think) and got a correct SHA-1 also. I need to do some more testing, but I am beginning to think it is a server load problem. These two tests were done on Saturday (8-18-2012) between 6:02 AM and 6:59 AM CST USA. In NetTransport I don't see a way to disable Torrents and $30 is a lot for this application, although it looks more sophisticated. Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Just did two more DLs, both with good SHA-1 codes, about 10:30 AM Saturday. On VM NetTransport with 10 threads (ran almost at ISP speed) and FDM on HW. I will try again on Monday.

EDIT: Two more DLs on Monday went fine. Whatever the problem was it is no more.

Edited by johnhc