Win XP past Apr 2014... (was: Will XP be supported until 2019?)

steveothehighlander

Will XP be supported at all until 2019?

cdob, on 18 June 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 is based on XP.

http://www.microsoft...ready-2009.aspx

Mainstream support until April 2014. Extended support until April 2019.

Ask again in 2015.

Either with Security Update, or Anything? Can we petition MS??can We do Anything?

XP FOREVER!

You can petition all you'd like, but most software companies don't find it very wise to support a product no one is purchasing anymore. Also, Windows 7 is quite a worthy successor to Windows XP, and that's 2 major versions beyond it. XP was released in 2001, and we'll still get security update support for XP until April of 2014, almost 13 years after it was released. With how good Windows 7 is, I'd probably recommend looking to upgrade to Windows 7 before April 2014 (Windows 7 is supported until January of 2020).

Is there any list of updates available for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009?

If it's really based on XP and the updates are compatible then you could port some of them even now as XP is in the extended support phase while that one is still receives mainstream support.

Edited by tomasz86

You can petition all you'd like, but most software companies don't find it very wise to support a product no one is purchasing anymore. Also, Windows 7 is quite a worthy successor to Windows XP, and that's 2 major versions beyond it. XP was released in 2001, and we'll still get security update support for XP until April of 2014, almost 13 years after it was released. With how good Windows 7 is, I'd probably recommend looking to upgrade to Windows 7 before April 2014 (Windows 7 is supported until January of 2020).

If that is the case, what did this quote mean: Quote

Mainstream support until April 2014. Extended support until April 2019.

Also, if l upgrade to 7, will my discs/cd's be read by 7? Will l be able to transfer data? My XP is working beautifully and l use Chrome for the most part & Avira AV, SuperAntispyware, Spybot & Malwarebytes antimalware. Also Java Tools Spyware Guard.....so therefore, l should be good, right? l love my XP!

You should be continuously backing up your data. So it would just be a matter of restoring it to 7 from your backup.

You're good on XP.

"will my discs/cd's be read by 7?"

I don't know what that means.

WinXP is already in extended support. About which do you talk? POSready?

Probably POSReady 2009:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-pos-ready-2009.aspx

Edit: A trial version of the OS is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11196

Edit2: I've just had a look at it and it seems to be a modified version of XP SP3 :thumbup which probably means that it will be possible to prepare unofficial updates for XP (and 2K too) until 2019 :w00t:

Edited by tomasz86

(sigh...) Chiming in... Look at this older descriptive.

for use on POS devices such as self-checkout, information kiosks, and point of sale devices
Windows Embedded for Point of Service is the only operating system platform to provide Plug and Play functionality for retail peripherals such as cash drawers, scanners, POS keyboards, and receipt printers.
IOW, it's not a Desktop/Notebook OS. It follows that any of the "POS" Windows OS' are of the same ilk and targets certain types of business hardware, hence the "extended support" not applicable to XP as we know it.

You should be continuously backing up your data. So it would just be a matter of restoring it to 7 from your backup.

You're good on XP.

Excuse that please...l have cds/discs that you place in the disc drive drawer to save/read data....CD Roms? If l save my data on a disc thats been formated to my XP pc, can l just put that cd into a new Windows 7 disc and it will read it? Thanks for your time and patience.

WinXP is already in extended support. About which do you talk? POSready?

Probably POSReady 2009:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-pos-ready-2009.aspx

Edit: A trial version of the OS is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11196

Edit2: I've just had a look at it and it seems to be a modified version of XP SP3 :thumbup which probably means that it will be possible to prepare unofficial updates for XP (and 2K too) until 2019 :w00t:

l have sp 3, where will it be possible to get "unofficial" updates from?

thanks for your help. btw what is POS(Point of Service?)

Edited by steveothehighlander

You're good on XP.

Excuse that please...l have cds/discs that you place in the disc drive drawer to save/read data....CD Roms? If l save my data on a disc thats been formated to my XP pc, can l just put that cd into a new Windows 7 disc and it will read it? Thanks for your time and patience.

Your CDs can be read on Windows 7.

Edited by Agorima

Is there any list of updates available for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009?

If it's really based on XP and the updates are compatible then you could port some of them even now as XP is in the extended support phase while that one is still receives mainstream support.

There is a list but you need to have a Microsoft Partner account to (potentially) get there. Usually, most communications and support for Embedded products go through an Embedded Partner.

There are some differences with POSReady 2009 than just XP. As an example, some drivers that work fine in XP won't work on POSReady 2009. And there are differences with the updates. You definately can't just put a POSReady 2009 update onto XP, you typically get that "minimum requirements" error. :}