Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Win XP past Apr 2014... (was: Will XP be supported until 2019?)

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

steveothehighlander

steveothehighlander

• 16 posts
Will XP be supported at all until 2019?

cdob, on 18 June 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:
Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 is based on XP.
http://www.microsoft...ready-2009.aspx
Mainstream support until April 2014. Extended support until April 2019.

Ask again in 2015.

Either with Security Update, or Anything? Can we petition MS??can We do Anything?

XP FOREVER!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
XP will not
and POS Ready is threated as different product, at least from their end...

also in business world its in their interest to shut down XP for good
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
You can petition all you'd like, but most software companies don't find it very wise to support a product no one is purchasing anymore. Also, Windows 7 is quite a worthy successor to Windows XP, and that's 2 major versions beyond it. XP was released in 2001, and we'll still get security update support for XP until April of 2014, almost 13 years after it was released. With how good Windows 7 is, I'd probably recommend looking to upgrade to Windows 7 before April 2014 (Windows 7 is supported until January of 2020).
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
Is there any list of updates available for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009?

If it's really based on XP and the updates are compatible then you could port some of them even now as XP is in the extended support phase while that one is still receives mainstream support.

Edited by tomasz86, 12 August 2012 - 06:54 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

steveothehighlander

steveothehighlander

• 16 posts

You can petition all you'd like, but most software companies don't find it very wise to support a product no one is purchasing anymore. Also, Windows 7 is quite a worthy successor to Windows XP, and that's 2 major versions beyond it. XP was released in 2001, and we'll still get security update support for XP until April of 2014, almost 13 years after it was released. With how good Windows 7 is, I'd probably recommend looking to upgrade to Windows 7 before April 2014 (Windows 7 is supported until January of 2020).

If that is the case, what did this quote mean: Quote
Also, if l upgrade to 7, will my discs/cd's be read by 7? Will l be able to transfer data? My XP is working beautifully and l use Chrome for the most part & Avira AV, SuperAntispyware, Spybot & Malwarebytes antimalware. Also Java Tools Spyware Guard.....so therefore, l should be good, right? l love my XP!

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,406 posts

Donator

You should be continuously backing up your data. So it would just be a matter of restoring it to 7 from your backup.
You're good on XP.

"will my discs/cd's be read by 7?"
I don't know what that means.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

Glenn9999

Glenn9999

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
The real question is if they will allow activation past 2015 or 2019 or whenever.

Bricking new installs of XP from the media that's out there will be more of a scandal than not making security updates.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,985 posts

Donator

WinXP is already in extended support. About which do you talk? POSready?
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts

Probably POSReady 2009:

Edit: A trial version of the OS is available here:
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=11196

Edit2: I've just had a look at it and it seems to be a modified version of XP SP3 :thumbup which probably means that it will be possible to prepare unofficial updates for XP (and 2K too) until 2019 :w00t:

Edited by tomasz86, 12 August 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,247 posts
(sigh...) Chiming in... Look at this older descriptive.

for use on POS devices such as self-checkout, information kiosks, and point of sale devices

Windows Embedded for Point of Service is the only operating system platform to provide Plug and Play functionality for retail peripherals such as cash drawers, scanners, POS keyboards, and receipt printers.

IOW, it's not a Desktop/Notebook OS. It follows that any of the "POS" Windows OS' are of the same ilk and targets certain types of business hardware, hence the "extended support" not applicable to XP as we know it.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

steveothehighlander

steveothehighlander

• 16 posts

You should be continuously backing up your data. So it would just be a matter of restoring it to 7 from your backup.
You're good on XP.

Excuse that please...l have cds/discs that you place in the disc drive drawer to save/read data....CD Roms? If l save my data on a disc thats been formated to my XP pc, can l just put that cd into a new Windows 7 disc and it will read it? Thanks for your time and patience.

steveothehighlander

steveothehighlander

• 16 posts

Probably POSReady 2009:

Edit: A trial version of the OS is available here:
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=11196

Edit2: I've just had a look at it and it seems to be a modified version of XP SP3 :thumbup which probably means that it will be possible to prepare unofficial updates for XP (and 2K too) until 2019 :w00t:

l have sp 3, where will it be possible to get "unofficial" updates from?
thanks for your help. btw what is POS(Point of Service?)

Edited by steveothehighlander, 12 August 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Agorima

Agorima

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

You're good on XP.

Excuse that please...l have cds/discs that you place in the disc drive drawer to save/read data....CD Roms? If l save my data on a disc thats been formated to my XP pc, can l just put that cd into a new Windows 7 disc and it will read it? Thanks for your time and patience.

Your CDs can be read on Windows 7.

Edited by Agorima, 12 August 2012 - 04:44 PM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
Check this comparison out:

Attached File  CropperCapture33.jpg   133.03KB   52 downloads

It seems that POSReady 2009 is just a cut-down version of XP SP3. The files should be inter-compatible.
Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,745 posts

Donator

Is there any list of updates available for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009?

If it's really based on XP and the updates are compatible then you could port some of them even now as XP is in the extended support phase while that one is still receives mainstream support.

There is a list but you need to have a Microsoft Partner account to (potentially) get there. Usually, most communications and support for Embedded products go through an Embedded Partner.

There are some differences with POSReady 2009 than just XP. As an example, some drivers that work fine in XP won't work on POSReady 2009. And there are differences with the updates. You definately can't just put a POSReady 2009 update onto XP, you typically get that "minimum requirements" error. :}
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
Actually it really is XP :thumbup

I've downloaded and installed the TRIAL version.

The installation process is very different:

Spoiler

but after that... :w00t:

Spoiler

What's important is this:

Spoiler

I've checked the available updates and except a few (less than 5) for Windows XP Embedded the rest of them were all normal XP updates. At the moment there seem to be no difference between a normal XP and this one. The most interesting thing is what will happen in 2014 after XP is no longer supported. Of course you won't be able to directly apply updates for XP Embedded into XP Home/Pro but if the files are almost identical then it should be possible to slipstream them or install by modifying the M$ hotfix installer. In my opinion this has huge potential :)

If you're interested here you can see how the whole setup looks like: http://imgur.com/a/cT6jS
Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,745 posts

Donator

The installation process is very different:

Yes, from what I can tell the installer is some early version of what Vista uses.
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__975350
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

mlewy

mlewy
  • 1 posts
yet dont get full support =(

Agorima

Agorima

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
I'm using Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 right now on my netbook.
It runs faster than XP, the installation is only 700 MB with the basic programs which are present on XP, every driver works fine.
Why the Micro$oft doesn't do OSes like this one?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,745 posts

Donator

It runs faster than XP, the installation is only 700 MB with the basic programs which are present on XP, every driver works fine.

All the different OS types (retail, oem, enterprise, embedded) while they can be basically similar, the real differences between them is how they can be used.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Agorima

Agorima

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

All the different OS types (retail, oem, enterprise, embedded) while they can be basically similar, the real differences between them is how they can be used.

If there are some software incompatible with this XP variant, I'll report them.

Edit: Seems that many programs can be installed without problems.
But now I'm returning to the normal XP, because the temperature of the diode jump up, for example, from 82° C to 84° C in a second. When the XP variant doesn't work, the temperature jump down, for example, from 83° C to 81° C in a second.
Although the diode doesn't go over 90° C, it's better to "relaxing" it :)

Edited by Agorima, 24 August 2012 - 10:40 AM.

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
As far as I understand, updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 are the same ones produced *for* Windows XP Professional. Or am I mistaken? Are separate updates produced for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009? It means if Microsoft decides to not produce security updates post April 2014 for Windows XP Professional, there is no advantage to "extended support" that Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 receives. Technical support incidents will be covered but no hotfixes to patch vulnerabilities will be created. Can anyone show me proof that updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 are different and distinct from Windows XP Professional?

The only distinct updates released for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 are for the write filter and registry filter components. What this however opens up is a possibility that Microsoft will make available security updates to custom support agreement holders till 2019.

Edited by xpclient, 27 August 2012 - 10:09 AM.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
This is a full list of components available on WU:

Posted Image

At the moment almost all of them are exactly the same as in Windows XP. There are only a few for Windows XP Embedded... but if the system is indeed going to be supported then M$ will be obliged to release security updates, won't they? If yes then there's hope that updates will be produced after 2014 too.
Posted Image

Ascii2

Ascii2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
I have used Windows XP Embedded, Windows XP Embedded with Service Pack 2, and the re-branded Service pack 3 version of the product, "Windows Embedded Standard" or sometimes "Windows Embedded 2009" or "Windows Embedded Standard 2009" (this is when the namings of the embedded operating systems become much more confusing).

Windows XP Embedded (and its variants at other Service Pack levels) is a software suite that builds an instance of Windows XP using the many sets of components (organized using SQL database). The components are Windows XP components that come with Windows XP Professional plus other sets of components that do not come with Windows XP (such components are or were, however, available on the Microsoft website in various places for download).

I believe that instances of Windows XP Embedded could all the components of Windows XP Professional (I, however, would use a less components) as well as just the bare components for Windows XP to run.

The updates specific to Windows XP Embedded typically address issues that do not manifest in the other version of Windows XP (typically licensing files bugs).

I have not used the "Windows Embedded POSReady 2009" variant, but I expect that it is a re-branded version of Windows XP Embedded with predefined sets of components that are thought to be used at a point-of-sale. Also, from looking at the pictures provided by tomasz86, it seems that the POSReady version comes with an installer that may fully install the Windows XP components. Windows XP Embedded distribution was mostly manually installed, with only an initialization at first boot (which is probably where the REGSVR32 entries are run and the Windows Registration files are merged). The POSReady version seems to fully install the instance of Windows XP.

Edited by Ascii2, 02 September 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Ascii2

Ascii2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

if the system is indeed going to be supported then M$ will be obliged to release security updates, won't they? If yes then there's hope that updates will be produced after 2014 too.

In the past Microsoft has been inconsistent regarding correctly supporting products they should support for the entirety of the product planned life.

I suspect that Microsoft will try to determine the impact to itself of failing to support the Windows XP Embedded series and whether it is preferable to fail to correctly support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN