Win XP past Apr 2014... (was: Will XP be supported until 2019?)

steveothehighlander

Actually it really is XP :thumbup

I've downloaded and installed the TRIAL version.

The installation process is very different:

M2W0zl.png

9ugoIl.png

c2YKWl.png

I2DlA.png

but after that... :w00t:

b4juIl.png

LHnlI.png

yi2ZWl.png

NJ7FUl.png

What's important is this:

x2eIpl.png

I've checked the available updates and except a few (less than 5) for Windows XP Embedded the rest of them were all normal XP updates. At the moment there seem to be no difference between a normal XP and this one. The most interesting thing is what will happen in 2014 after XP is no longer supported. Of course you won't be able to directly apply updates for XP Embedded into XP Home/Pro but if the files are almost identical then it should be possible to slipstream them or install by modifying the M$ hotfix installer. In my opinion this has huge potential :)

If you're interested here you can see how the whole setup looks like: http://imgur.com/a/cT6jS

I'm using Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 right now on my netbook.

It runs faster than XP, the installation is only 700 MB with the basic programs which are present on XP, every driver works fine.

Why the Micro$oft doesn't do OSes like this one?

It runs faster than XP, the installation is only 700 MB with the basic programs which are present on XP, every driver works fine.

All the different OS types (retail, oem, enterprise, embedded) while they can be basically similar, the real differences between them is how they can be used.

All the different OS types (retail, oem, enterprise, embedded) while they can be basically similar, the real differences between them is how they can be used.

If there are some software incompatible with this XP variant, I'll report them.

Edit: Seems that many programs can be installed without problems.

But now I'm returning to the normal XP, because the temperature of the diode jump up, for example, from 82° C to 84° C in a second. When the XP variant doesn't work, the temperature jump down, for example, from 83° C to 81° C in a second.

Although the diode doesn't go over 90° C, it's better to "relaxing" it :)

Edited by Agorima

As far as I understand, updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 are the same ones produced *for* Windows XP Professional. Or am I mistaken? Are separate updates produced for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009? It means if Microsoft decides to not produce security updates post April 2014 for Windows XP Professional, there is no advantage to "extended support" that Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 receives. Technical support incidents will be covered but no hotfixes to patch vulnerabilities will be created. Can anyone show me proof that updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 are different and distinct from Windows XP Professional?

The only distinct updates released for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 are for the write filter and registry filter components. What this however opens up is a possibility that Microsoft will make available security updates to custom support agreement holders till 2019.

Edited by xpclient

This is a full list of components available on WU:

dys2Vl.jpg

At the moment almost all of them are exactly the same as in Windows XP. There are only a few for Windows XP Embedded... but if the system is indeed going to be supported then M$ will be obliged to release security updates, won't they? If yes then there's hope that updates will be produced after 2014 too.

I have used Windows XP Embedded, Windows XP Embedded with Service Pack 2, and the re-branded Service pack 3 version of the product, "Windows Embedded Standard" or sometimes "Windows Embedded 2009" or "Windows Embedded Standard 2009" (this is when the namings of the embedded operating systems become much more confusing).

Windows XP Embedded (and its variants at other Service Pack levels) is a software suite that builds an instance of Windows XP using the many sets of components (organized using SQL database). The components are Windows XP components that come with Windows XP Professional plus other sets of components that do not come with Windows XP (such components are or were, however, available on the Microsoft website in various places for download).

I believe that instances of Windows XP Embedded could all the components of Windows XP Professional (I, however, would use a less components) as well as just the bare components for Windows XP to run.

The updates specific to Windows XP Embedded typically address issues that do not manifest in the other version of Windows XP (typically licensing files bugs).

I have not used the "Windows Embedded POSReady 2009" variant, but I expect that it is a re-branded version of Windows XP Embedded with predefined sets of components that are thought to be used at a point-of-sale. Also, from looking at the pictures provided by tomasz86, it seems that the POSReady version comes with an installer that may fully install the Windows XP components. Windows XP Embedded distribution was mostly manually installed, with only an initialization at first boot (which is probably where the REGSVR32 entries are run and the Windows Registration files are merged). The POSReady version seems to fully install the instance of Windows XP.

Edited by Ascii2

if the system is indeed going to be supported then M$ will be obliged to release security updates, won't they? If yes then there's hope that updates will be produced after 2014 too.

In the past Microsoft has been inconsistent regarding correctly supporting products they should support for the entirety of the product planned life.

I suspect that Microsoft will try to determine the impact to itself of failing to support the Windows XP Embedded series and whether it is preferable to fail to correctly support.

• 11 months later...

This is interesting reading and so are the 90 + comments ...

Uptake of Windows 8 for desktop computers – which was never particularly fast – has slowed, according to stats for July from web traffic pollsters Net Applications.

But a disturbing fact for everybody else is that Windows XP - enjoying second place in the stats - had a minor resurgence during July. Net Applications found XP, first released in 2001, clawed back 37.19 of the market versus 37.17 in the month before, pausing its long-term downward trend towards its demise. Many companies moving off Windows XP are going to Windows 7, the number one most used desktop OS, and Net Applications found version 7’s use up by 0.12 points on June.

OK, here is the whole article ....

Win XP alive and kicking despite 2014 kill switch (Don't ask about Win 8)

On track to be world's second most used desktop OS when security patches cease

By Gavin Clarke, 2nd August 2013

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/02/windows_8_v_windows_xp_july_data/

Uptake of Windows 8 for desktop computers – which was never particularly fast – has slowed, according to stats for July from web traffic pollsters Net Applications.

Microsoft's latest operating system held a 5.4 per cent of the global desktop OS market last month, up 0.3 points on June which was up 0.83 points on May. A glance at the Net Applications graph shows a gradually slowing trend over time. We're told the stats were gathered from the logs of some 160m unique web surfers hitting 40,000 websites in the pollster's analytics network: each visitor's browser is expected to reveal some basic information about their computer, but this can be spoofed so the usual health warnings about user-agent statistics apply.

Officially released in October 2012, Windows 8 has been growing at less than one per cent a month in the desktop arena, but June was the high water market hitting nearly a whole one percentage point of growth. Last month, though, its rate of increase slumped.

That's sobering news for Microsoft. But a disturbing fact for everybody else is that Windows XP - enjoying second place in the stats - had a minor resurgence during July. Net Applications found XP, first released in 2001, clawed back 37.19 of the market versus 37.17 in the month before, pausing its long-term downward trend towards its demise. Many companies moving off Windows XP are going to Windows 7, the number one most used desktop OS, and Net Applications found version 7’s use up by 0.12 points on June.

These numbers are incremental changes, but momentum begins with a small shove. Is an overbearing attachment to Windows XP to blame for the revival or the fact techies are hitting the beaches for the summer break, so temporarily AWOL on the upgrade front? While the Windows 8 usage numbers are more salt in wounds for Microsoft, it’s the minor consolidation in Windows XP that should worry everybody else.

... more reading at the link and also the 90 + comments !

and also this on Windows XP

Browsium Blog

Time to Check on Windows XP’s Share Decline

August 1, 2013

http://www.browsium.com/2013/08/01/july-windows-xp-share-decline/

Windows XP end of life has been a topic of discussion in IT circles for quite some time. This discussion always heats up on the first of each month as the various data tracking companies release their stats on browser and OS usage share.

Here we are on August 1st, 2013 checking in with NetApplications to see how much Windows XP dropped this month, on its way to extinction when Microsoft ends support next April. When we last looked at Windows XP share on this blog, we used the May 1st data which had XP at 38.31%. As of July 1st, it had dropped to 37.17%. Though that drop was only a bit more than 1% in 2 months, we can surely expect the pace of decline to increase as we get closer to April 2014. We’re now only 8 months away, so let’s do a little wagering. Who wants to bet that it went down 5% this month? 3%? And for the conservative bettors, 1%?

… everyone loses (and we mean everyone!). XP usage went UP this month, from 37.17% to 37.19%. How is the IT industry going to drive XP usage to zero by April 2014 if it’s heading in the wrong direction in July 2013? There’s clearly a lot of work ahead for enterprise IT. In fact, XP share has only come down 2.3% since January, for an average of 0.3%/month. That certainly does not inspire confidence in achieving the goal.

... more reading at the link and there is also a chart that I don't know how to reproduce here.

Add: I just noticed that this article was already posted under "Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions" in the "General Discussions" thread by TELVM but it should probably also be in the Windows XP forum ... I didn't know it was already mentioned when I posted.

Edited by duffy98

XP will live on in this household until MS produces another lite OS...if they ever do. I doubt it. They've gone stupid over there.

So it's gone up .02% in july... If it goes1%down in august and goes 0.01% up in september, will you go "waow!" again? :huh:

Even here you can see the XP forum is the less active. Even less active than the 9x forum. But that can make you hope it goes up again in a few years. :D