modding boot,log-on and background

2010kaiser

Hi all,

I'm trying to mod the boot screen,log-on screen and change the default backgrounds in a win7 install disk to make it personal.

Can anyone give me some help/direction as to the file addresses of the above mentioned files i.e. where they're contained on a Win7 installation disk.

Thanks in advance,

Look around first... then come back when you have problems. Repeating is, well, repeating.

BTW, Windows 7 uses WIM (Windows Image Format) files and not CABS or Folders/Files like XP. Most everything is inside them. Contents can be viewed with 7-Zip. Changing the contents is an entirely different (and more complex) process than the "old-fashioned" Compressed and CAB files.

Many thanks for the reply.

I've tried to access individual files using PowerISo, then taking specific files to e.g. restorator to "mod" them in the past and i've been successful to a point.

I've also used RT7Lite but find it a bit too hard when it gets to tracking specific files.

Is there a dissassembler which will dissassemble a Win7 OEM install disk into it's component parts and allow each file to be examined until a required file is located, examined (As in viewed) and then modded.

I have floated around the forum, and although i find many brilliant threads which relate to my query. None are specific to the "graphical files" i'm looking to Mod i.e. completely remove all traces of the Win defaults and replace them with my custom ones.

.GIf's as in the WINDOWS "floating" boot screen i haven't gotten around to creating mods for yet.

Again, they are WIM, e.g. "BOOT.WIM", etc. on the ISO Image. The can be manipulated by mainly MS pgms., eg DISM or IMAGEX. The can be viewed by OPENING them with eg 7-Zip. Again, WinVista/Win7 is NOT the same method as eg XP and musch more complex. The do not "install" per-se - they are kind-of "dumped" to the Partition. PowerIso will only allow extraction of a WIM to be "manipulated" and then "reloaded" to the ISO image.

There is no "disassembly" of it - DUMP A xxxx.WIM and OPEN IT IN 7-ZIP - literally, a DISK IMAGE!

Better do some light reading first. ;)