Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Format utility for DOS/Win9x

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Marius '95

Marius '95

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 12-January 06
Hello everyone!

Do you know any advanced formatting tool for FAT12 / FAT16 / FAT32?
I want to do some testing and I need advanced formatting options like setting the number of reserved sectors following the boot record, setting the number of FAT copies, setting formatted partition size and location independent of partition table (i.e. write a filesystem structure somewhere on the disk while no partitions are defined in the partition table), etc.

I also need a tool to display advanced partition and filesystem information like the number of reserved sectors, 1st and 2nd FAT locations and size (first and last sector number, bytes used), position of the first and last cluster (sector #), position of root directory (sector and cluster), etc.

Thank you.

Edited by Marius '95, 15 August 2012 - 09:46 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

Hello everyone!

Do you know any advanced formatting tool for FAT12 / FAT16 / FAT32?
I want to do some testing and I need advanced formatting options like setting the number of reserved sectors following the boot record, setting the number of FAT copies, setting formatted partition size and location independent of partition table (i.e. write a filesystem structure somewhere on the disk while no partitions are defined in the partition table), etc.

I also need a tool to display advanced partition and filesystem information like the number of reserved sectors, 1st and 2nd FAT locations and size (first and last sector number, bytes used), position of the first and last cluster (sector #), position of root directory (sector and cluster), etc.

Thank you.

My RFORMAT program can do the Formatting you requested and provide information on an existing Format.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08
Maybe the Norton "DiskEdit" utility from the Norton Emergency Disk 2001 (from Symantec)? Search for "ned_2001". For normal formatting needs, I often use FreeDOS.

Joe.

dw2108

dw2108

• 34 posts
  • Joined 05-December 10
Ranish partition manager is a very good tool for customizing the drive. It's freeware, too.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users