Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Need help with data recovery on HDD

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

mattiasnyc

mattiasnyc

• 27 posts
  • Joined 16-August 12
Went to boot my computer and it wouldn't go past POST. BIOS couldn't find OS or drive. This was as I mentioned the OS drive and I didn't touch it prior to shutting down. I never initialize drives "willy nilly". The words "initialize", "erase", "format" etc throw up red flags in my brain and I've yet to be dumb enough to clean a drive from data. I'm plenty dumb in other ways to make up for it though.

Then I went to the thread called " The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs" and went through the instructions and "unbricked" it. The symptoms of my drive conformed to the ones the "unbricking" would potentially solve.

The drive then spun up properly and got detected by the OS. After that I tried absolutely nothing else but instead posted in this thread.

I'm guessing "file based recovery" is some sort of time consuming scan where the software tries to intelligently piece together what binary constitutes a file, and what type of file that would be... Would that be the next step?

Thanks again for your help and patience.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Went to boot my computer and it wouldn't go past POST. BIOS couldn't find OS or drive. This was as I mentioned the OS drive and I didn't touch it prior to shutting down. I never initialize drives "willy nilly". The words "initialize", "erase", "format" etc throw up red flags in my brain and I've yet to be dumb enough to clean a drive from data. I'm plenty dumb in other ways to make up for it though.

Yes, OK, but were BSY or LBA0 symptoms?

Then I went to the thread called " The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs" and went through the instructions and "unbricked" it. The symptoms of my drive conformed to the ones the "unbricking" would potentially solve.

Which EXACT commands did you send to it in the Hyperterminal (or whatever you used)?

The drive then spun up properly and got detected by the OS. After that I tried absolutely nothing else but instead posted in this thread.

Yes, the issue here is that your drive behaves "strangely".
The MBR CODE is there, exactly where it should be, but the data in it have been "00ed". <- this is "queer", usually either the "whole" MBR is there or it has been completely (not just 16 bytes of it) 00ed.
Also, it seems like all the sectors you accessed are all 00's (wiped).
I am suspecting that - for *any* reason - the disk has gone in some kind of "loop" :w00t: and - besides the MBR - only "provides" the same bunch of 00ed sectors :unsure: , no matter which sector you try to access.

I'm guessing "file based recovery" is some sort of time consuming scan where the software tries to intelligently piece together what binary constitutes a file, and what type of file that would be... Would that be the next step?

Yep, that is the idea, that has a big caveat, though.
Provided that the disk is not all 00's, any file that was contiguous should normally be retrieved without issues, whilst any file that was fragmented will most probably result as either corrupted or "partial".
The "reference" tool is PHOTOREC (the companion of TESTDISK):
http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/PhotoRec
(it is not just for photos)

Thanks again for your help and patience.

No prob. :)

Let's try again to see if some data can actually be read on that disk.
Open the disk in Tiny Hexer and search, starting from sector 0 the hex 4D5A90 (which equates to "MZ<nop>", i.e. the header for executable files, one of the most common filetypes on a "system" disk).
If you don't find a hit within (say) first 50000 sectors it is likely that there is the "all 00's issues.
Are you trying to access the "original, unbricked" disk or the clone of it? (can it be, if the latter, that the cloning failed?)

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users