Error 5 - Please Help!

koolx

i got xp pro sp3. after installing the free version of avast antivrus, i found that it was disabled. i found that the service was not running. when i try to start it, i get this error:

"could not start avast antivirus service on local computer error 5 access is denied"

i also get the following error when i try to start the service in safe mode:

"error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."

i tried using the special uninstall utlility to uninstall completely. but that didnt work. what do i do to fix this??

Are you installing with an Administrator account or a Limited account? Safe Mode won't allow starting any services.

P.S. - read the Forum Rules (link at top). The Topic words you used needs improvement.

Are you installing with an Administrator account or a Limited account? Safe Mode won't allow starting any services.

i'm sure i'm using fuill admin rights. is there a way to check for this? so what do you suggest i do? i really want this specific antivirus working.

Tell ya what (since you're still waiting...)

For any given Service, you can Right-Click, select "Properties", then click "Dependencies"... are ANY of the services listed NOT exist?

edit - and your Topic Title still stinks - please fix it (read MSFN Rules - link at top)...

Edited by submix8c