Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Menu Selector for DOS based programs on same CD?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,199 posts
Dogway, you really ARE a glutton aren't you? Playing the "semantics" game doesn't erase the fact that the initial SPECIFIC suggestion was correct and you took it upon yourself to make a, well, FALSE assumption.

Seriously, jaclaz is not one I relish debating with and (trust me), I'm well educated. Besides the fact that (and you must have missed this) English is NOT the "first" language of either of you (but IS mine).

Play it smart... stop while your (almost) "even". Second place is a lot better than "L"... ;)

Seriously, you WOULD like later assistance, wouldn't you? :unsure:

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dogway

Dogway

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
submix8c, I don't debate to win or lose, that's very primitive thinking. I do for being understood, (not the same as agreed).

"...SPECIFIC suggestion was correct..."

I'm not saying that what you said was wrong, it's just that don't expect everyone to think things you already know. ... reverse thinking, that is.

"Playing the "semantics" game"

No, "among others" is not an expression tied exclusively to English. It does exists in the 3 languages I talk, so rather than semantics is about logical thinking, common sense superpower, we all have, we all use, just that for some is not the most common of the senses, that's all. And now that you submix8c are in and twisted memmes start to substitute conversation I'm out. This starts to smell like a bullying fest.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,062 posts

No, "among others" is not an expression tied exclusively to English. It does exists in the 3 languages I talk, so rather than semantics is about logical thinking, common sense superpower, we all have, we all use, just that for some is not the most common of the senses, that's all.

I guess that the origin, as often is, is Latin:
Inter Alia:
http://dictionary.re...owse/inter alia
http://en.wikipedia....tin_phrases_(I)
so it is very likely that the concept exists at least in all western languages.

While I am at it, another Wikipedia (statement alike) opinion

jaclaz

Dogway

Dogway

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

I guess that the origin, as often is, is Latin:
Inter Alia:
http://dictionary.re...owse/inter+alia
http://en.wikipedia....tin_phrases_(I)
so it is very likely that the concept exists at least in all western languages.

are you suggesting that I don't speak any non-western language? otherwise your sentence is totally out of context.
FYI It does exist in Japanese.

BTW you can throw all the absurd links you want, without coherent reasoning they're just cheap excuses, cheap demagogy (as called in Spanish)

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
@Dogway, do you still have a technical issue remotely connected with your original post that you would still like assistance with? O would you, jaclaz, and/or submix8c just like to continue your discussion about words and phrases and their origin, meaning, or interpretation in whichever language any of you care to use? If the latter, would you please move that part of the discussion to a more appropriate place in the forum? If you choose to do that, I'm sure an admin or moderator would be glad to strip out the relevant posts into the new thread. That part might be interesting for those fascinated by the nuances of language. That would leave the useful technical bits here for others to read if they have a similar problem and they then wouldn't have to wade through the distracting parts to get to the useful info. Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN