Any way to configure Windows Update?

Is there a way to set WU not to download and install updates, but rather just check for them and let the user know?

I absolutely HATE the default behavior. I install most drivers during the setup, and if I am not quick enough the bloody piece of s... downloads drivers from WU and overwrites the newer ones with the crippled outdated versions from there. That sucks horribly.

Use Autounattend.xml

ProtectYourPC specifies whether Windows® Update installs important and recommended updates automatically.

Values

Specifies that important and recommended updates are installed automatically.

Specifies that only important updates are installed.

Specifies that automatic protection is disabled. Updates are available manually through Windows Update.

There is no default value. If a value is not set, the Help protect your computer and improve Windows automatically page opens during Windows Welcome.

Valid Configuration Passes

oobeSystem Configuration Pass

Parent Hierarchy

Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup | OOBE | ProtectYourPC

Applies To

This setting applies to versions of Windows® 7 and Windows Vista® only.

For a list of the supported Windows editions and architectures that this component supports, see Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup.

XML Example

The following XML example shows how to disable automatic system updates.

<OOBE>

<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>

</OOBE>

This is the "standard" way lacking what you want.

The article given by Trip states:

Note: You must create these registry keys manually.
and does NOT say Win7, but DOES state Vista. It's worth a shot...

Does this help?

(no Win7 installed ATM, so can't check any of it.)

I use this in my Unattended

Check for Updates but let me choose whether to Download and Install

;62 Microsoft Update settings
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002
"IncludeRecommendedUpdates"=dword:00000001

You can change the setting manually and go to that key in Registry and see what it changes to

Edited by maxXPsoft

FWIW, I don't know if this helps any, but when I did the interfaces for the Update Downloader I posted once upon a time, I did functionality for Automatic Updates settings too. When I did that, I found that it's controlled through the IAutomaticUpdates interface, specifically the Settings property which is a IAutomaticUpdatesSettings interface. Specifically, you would want the NotificationLevel property to satisfy the OP's request.

I don't know if any of that could be useful for the scripters out there (or if it can be done in this context with Windows 7, it probably can), but hopefully it can provide a pointer towards doing it with the API if trying it with the registry doesn't work out.

Edited by Glenn9999