Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[Solved] Running Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2 in a VM

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

mateczko

mateczko

• 27 posts
Sadly to say, :( but VirtualBox has one annoying bug. It doesn't stretch the video in fullscreen. So when my game has 640x480 resolution, it's centered, and the rest is black. And to my knowledge, there's absolutely no way to fix this. And if i set the resolution 1280x1024, it does infact fix the problem, but then , the game performance is very slightly worse, and the sound stutters just a little bit more.

Edited by mateczko, 28 August 2012 - 07:49 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,373 posts

Please close this topic. I know you will not, but I beg you.

I wonder why the heck :w00t: are you obsessed with "closing" this thread.
There is NOT one reason on the world to close a thread such as this one, as someone could add new findings, report his/her experience ask for further help (and members that took part to this thread may have chosen to be notified about new posts), etc.

This is closed. My main problem (not able to run this game in NTVDM or any VM software) is fixed. Capiche?

I know (mainly because the issue was "solved" following my suggestions/hints ;)) that your main problem is solved, but actually there are NO such things as your problem or my (or anyone else's) solution.
There is was a problem and a working solution for it.

Spoiler

What you could do would be to edit the title of this thread from the current "NTVDM doesn't work on Windows 7 x86" to something more "logical" like:

Running Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2 in a VM

and, ideally add to it a [Solved], like:

[Solved] Running Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2 in a VM

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 26 August 2012 - 05:44 AM.

mateczko

mateczko

• 27 posts
Okay, I've changed the topic's name, and removed all mentions about closing the topic. I hope someone will find this topic useful. B)
EDIT:
One extra thing, don't ever bother with Virtual PC, I've just tried it with SciTech Display Doctor, and it didn't help. I would stick to the VirtualBox.

Edited by mateczko, 26 August 2012 - 07:12 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,373 posts

Okay, I've changed the topic's name, and removed all mentions about closing the topic. I hope someone will find this topic useful. B)
EDIT:
One extra thing, don't ever bother with Virtual PC, I've just tried it with SciTech Display Doctor, and it didn't help. I would stick to the VirtualBox.

You could also try directly Qemu (or - easier Qemu Manager):
http://www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm
the emulated hardware tends to be pretty much "standard", though cannot say if it will be too slow for the game :unsure: .

jaclaz

mateczko

mateczko

• 27 posts
Yea, I've had QEMU on mind. But since VirtualBox does it job fairly well, I'll keep it. Maybe they will include scaling on fullscreen mode in future versions. I can only wish. :angel
EDIT:
I just found out that I can use VBoxSDL, included with VirtualBox, to launch true fullscreen mode, and maybe the scaling will be included, I'll test it.
EDIT2:

IT WORKS! IT F***ING WORKS! :thumbup :thumbup :w00t:
Just type this command in cmd inside the VirtualBox folder:
VBoxSDL --startvm [name of you vm's UUID] --fullscreen
To get the UUID, type this command:
VBoxManage.exe showhdinfo "[path to your VM's hard disk]"
It will give you the UUID of your VM.

WOOHOO! No errors whatsoever! The resolution is scaled properly! :D :D

Edited by mateczko, 28 August 2012 - 05:33 AM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,276 posts

One extra thing, don't ever bother with Virtual PC...

Um, no... I haven't yet tried it myself.

I will also (just for fun) attempt to install into my VPC-Win98SE.

Why do you presuppose that it didn't work for YOU that someone else may be able to? A "box" is a "box" and still (somewhat) a VM (of sorts). It APPEARS that it MIGHT run on DOS/Win3.x(?) and "potentially" Win9x IN VPC (with the correct drivers and setup)

edit -
(5) is out-of-commission (CPUIDLE) alternatve download site
Quite a number of older drivers at the site...
notation -> to here (similar pgm for Win3x)

Edited by submix8c, 26 August 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

mateczko

mateczko

• 27 posts
Well, I've tried everything with Virtual PC, and it doesn't work for me. Simply put, Virtual PC's emulated S3 Trio card, will not allow this game to run, no matter what drivers I have used. You can try to run it in Virtual PC. I'm sure it won't work.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,276 posts

Well, I've tried everything with Virtual PC, and it doesn't work for me. Simply put, Virtual PC's emulated S3 Trio card, will not allow this game to run, no matter what drivers I have used. You can try to run it in Virtual PC. I'm sure it won't work.

Please, this is not a "blog" with "running commentary". I'm so happy you're satisfied with your test results. Before I even had a go at it you insist it "can't be done"... good for you! I have a wealth of other drivers for that "card" - do you have what I have (probably not ;))?

I'll report back my findings (not yours...) when I have a chance. Games are not on the top of my priority list.
(and with that - please stop it and wait until I "get there" from "here' as I intend to do with "confirmed" :( or "guess what" :w00t:.)

BTW, did you notice the QEMU references in my new links (above)?

Edited by submix8c, 26 August 2012 - 12:23 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

mateczko

mateczko

• 27 posts
To close this topic once at for all, I've just reinstalled Windows 7. The NTVDM does work! Hooray! :thumbup :w00t:
Now I can play old Win16 classics like Slam!
But sadly, MUGEN doesn't work, as it gives this message:
"This system does not support fullscreen mode".
Because there's no way to set the game to run in a windowed mode, there's no way to play this game on Win7.
Thank god for virtualization!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN