Microsoft removing XP downloads

That's true because M$ doesn't like when their files are stored on 3rd party servers. Because of that ALL websites link directly to the M$ servers to download their files. Then if M$ removes the file the URLs become invalid too.

... And that is so incredibly ironic since the real Microsoft Windows support force exists out here in the wild, are largely unpaid and a million times more thorough and precise than the 'real' paid support staff stationed 8,000 miles away. Every person who nudges against their rules about distributing patches, hotfixes and updates is likely saving them money, at least from a server/download point of view. If tomorrow every person not connected with Microsoft suddenly closed up shop, stopped answering the phone, replying to forums, fixing relatives and friends computers, and all the problems were instantly re-directed to Redmond, they would shut down cold after realizing their software products are an impossible to maintain business model without the massive non-Microsoft employed tech industry. They would be done. They couldn't possibly hire enough people to handle the hundreds of millions of Windows users working with their OS on a daily basis. They might think that their product is almost perfect and that they can handle the tiny remaining amount through official support channels but that is only their delusion. It is likely that 90% of the users never *have* to make support tickets in the first place because of the 'advanced' or experienced 10% who are debugging their problems daily.

Seriously, if they were smart and cash conscious they would encourage 3rd party hosting and distribution and simply provide lists of hashes or some other more advanced method so that a recipient could verify the integrity of a given Microsoft file.

I get this problem on my home computer and laptop, both genuine Windows installations Is WGA gone too?

I was trying to download a copy of WMP 11 because I accidentally deleted it. I later found a saved copy.

post-56376-0-47417900-1347989688_thumb.j

Edited by RJM

Something is broken with validation when downloading updates. On XP you can still install the WGA update (I don't remember its KB number) and download the files. Under 2000 it's impossible...

BUT

it's possible to download the files using a little "trick". You need to use the "confirmation links", ex.

Original: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30617 (requires validation)

Confirmation: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=30617 (no validation required)

This way you can download the updates for all languages except ARA and HEB. If you check the URLs for 2732052 on the Win2k updates list you can see how they should look like for the other languages. You only need to change the ID number at the end of the URL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm... maybe they're transferring to another server and the files are "temporarily unavailable"? I had tried (see original "complaint") at that time and got a "not found"...

It may be partially true but they did remove some older files like the IPv6 stack and several other very old updates for Win2k.

I seem to have found the IPv6 download for Win2k here, which still works on my end.

• 2 weeks later...
...the real Microsoft Windows support force exists out here in the wild...

So true. Also, the Microsoft knowledge base often seems to speak a different language that is more difficult to comprehend compared to an Internet forum. Instead of one paragraph summarizing a problem followed by instructions to resolve it, I see one warning about warranty, another warning about editing the registry, that is written in style that borders with legalese, after which I stop reading.

I trust and value Microsoft's solutions the least because I expect them to be heavily biased and limited because of copyright or business reasons. They will usually not direct me to get files from an older operating system, or to a small patch that enables 48-bit LBA. But will load a webpage that is bigger than those files I need and that suggests to upgrade to a yet bigger SP or a newer product.

Removing files is consistent with their practice of not offering a disk with retail and even Volume licenses (at least a few years ago when I was in the line of work). They can pull and replace versions at will, to decide what is best and ensure we have the latest Genuine Advantage and Rights Management.

Edited by j7n

Also, the Microsoft knowledge base often seems to speak a different language that is more difficult to comprehend compared to an Internet forum. Instead of one paragraph summarizing a problem followed by instructions to resolve it, I see one warning about warranty, another warning about editing the registry, that is written in style that borders with legalese, after which I stop reading.

One example is: KB2724197

MS blabing mumbo-jumbo about 'security', but said nothing that it would impact EMS availabilty on NTVDM.

• 2 weeks later...

After uninstalling the fix i can run Quick BASIC in full screen mode again without ntvdm.exe crashing. Thanks! (I suppose the crash is due to a bag that will be fixed in future patches, I anyway sent the crash report to Microsoft).

Also, the Microsoft knowledge base often seems to speak a different language that is more difficult to comprehend compared to an Internet forum. Instead of one paragraph summarizing a problem followed by instructions to resolve it, I see one warning about warranty, another warning about editing the registry, that is written in style that borders with legalese, after which I stop reading.

One example is: KB2724197

MS blabing mumbo-jumbo about 'security', but said nothing that it would impact EMS availabilty on NTVDM.

Well, the previous "security" update, KB2707511 already caused NTVDM to crash on opening a pipe, an issue that hasn't been fixed. Since security updates are cumulative, KB2724197 must have both issues. Now, ain't those latest updates really awesome? :(

• 6 months later...

Good news! I found the solution for the NTVDM problem here:

KB2724197 causing ntvdm.exe to crash. Cannot run 16bit applications

Here it is presented as a .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NTVDM]
"BiosRomMappingOption"=dword:ffffffff

It works with the latest NTOS files update KB2813170. Caution: It needs a reboot in order to work.