Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Service Pack 2 for W7?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
Searching the Internet finds no recent comments of Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. Has MS abandoned SP2? If not, is there any guess when it might be seen? Thanks and enjoy, John.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,187 posts
I can only surmise that since MS laid off a mess of folks AND they threw their effort into Windows 8 to compete with Apple and Google (to name a couple) that it's probably delayed, potentially to "back port" Win8 stuff (yuk!) to Win7.

I too have found little except months-old rumors.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
submix8c, I did not know about the layoffs but was thinking that W8 was putting W7 in the basement. Thanks for your reply. Enjoy, John.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

MSFT tries to push Windows 8. It wouldn't surprise me if there won't be a Sp2. MSFT reduces the amount of SP dramatically for each product. This is again the Sinofsky Style. F*ck you costumers, to get fixes buy the next product.
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
Windows NT 4.0 - SP6a
Windows 2000 - SP4
Windows XP (x86) - SP3
Windows 2003 Server / XP x64 - SP2
Windows Vista - SP2
Windows 7 - SP1?
post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
Thanks guys. I will not wait for SP2. Enjoy, John.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
I too wonder about SP2. If Windows 8 and Metro defies the expectations and takes off I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck Windows 7 in an early grave.

However, two obvious things contradict that. It is cheaper to roll up all the updates into a single service pack from their point of view considering the time it takes to hit the servers one file at a time again and again. And the other thing is that they have support planned for at least ten years, so unless they dramatically alter their public statements and commitments all signs point to SP2 and even SP3.

Far more likely is that there won't be any physical media for SP3 and maybe SP2 except from OEM's still selling machines, but it again hinges mightily on the success or failure of Windows 8 and Metro.

Common sense would suggest that Microsoft would happily keep important operating systems up-to-date as it is in everybody's interest for a stable computing universe. They followed common sense back in the NT4 and Win2K days but have been back-peddaling with each successive release it seems. And with more than a few strange decisions and careless mistakes emanating from the halls of Redmond lately, I'd say it is a coin toss if they get this one right.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
usually when new OS gets SP1 old one gets SP2
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

usually when new OS gets SP1 old one gets SP2

Vista got the Sp2 before releasing Windows 7 RTM, so this doesn't match.
Posted Image

rmholland89

rmholland89
  • 1 posts
I haven't heard anything about a service pack 2 for windows 7, From my experience service pack 1 is fine. Microsoft will be supporting windows 7 with mainstream updates till about 2015 and then end security updates in 2020. 8 years to go, not a huge amount of time really :/

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

Windows NT 4.0 - SP6a
Windows 2000 - SP4
Windows XP (x86) - SP3
Windows Vista - SP2
Windows 7 - SP1?

Hey guys, do you realize the graphical aspect of this trend? :unsure:

It is probable that Windows 8 will have NO service pack (i.e. you will be stuck with the stuypid thingy "as is")! :ph34r:
;)

:lol:

jaclaz

Attached Files

• Attached File  SPs.jpg   61.79KB   60 downloads

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
to me whole MS approach is stupid
bgates once in past said that purpose of SP to him would be only to deploy patches

but even when "last" SP's are being released, there are tons of patches later
by the logic there should be "end-SP" that would deliver last "wave" of patches and then to end the product support

just look how many patches XP has after SP3... its hilarious
If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,696 posts

Donator

It is probable that Windows 8 will have NO service pack (i.e. you will be stuck with the stuypid thingy "as is")! :ph34r:

If your calculations are correct, this would also mean Windows 9 won't even come out! :o
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

If your calculations are correct, this would also mean Windows 9 won't even come out! :o

... and Windows 10 will only exist in a negative universe!

Spoiler

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
There will definitely be at least an SP2 for Windows 7, although there may not be an SP3. I wish for a Vista SP3 more than Windows 7 SP2 at this moment. :( The new evil Msft only supports an OS depending on how well it succeeds or fails. Vista didn't deserve this.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

Vista is longer supported than Win7. Server 2008 gets Updates till 2018 so you can sue them on Vista, too.
Posted Image

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• 2,295 posts
I think Windows 7 is the new XP, the OS that was hard to kill. So I think we will see a SP3 for 7 because of public demand

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

I doubt this. Sinofsky is not so user friendly.
Posted Image

Photek

Photek

• 29 posts

Windows NT 4.0 - SP6a
Windows 2000 - SP4
Windows XP (x86) - SP3
Windows Vista - SP2
Windows 7 - SP1?

That list doesn't reflect the reality, which is:

1 - The need for service packs depends partly on how half baked the RTM was. Seriously, how many of those versions were usable and stable from day one?
W7 was far better out of the box than Vista, XP or 2000 was. Dunno about NT 4.0 or NT 5.2 since I never used the RTM versions of them.

2 - How much better did W7 actually get with SP1? Sure, you didn't have to install loads of updates, but the overall impression was the same as with RTM.
W7 RTM was stable.

3 - The reason why XP SP3 exists, why Vista was delayed, and why Vista RTM sucked was all because MS dropped the ball back then, simply put.

4 - The reason for why there are six service packs for NT 4.0 is partly because back then you didn't update the OS over internet the way we do it today.
You used floppies or a CD with the service pack to update, the service packs were much smaller and came more often. SP1 was 1.4 MB large and came SEVEN WEEKS after the launch of NT 4.0.. :D
As a contrast, W8 got a 170 MB large cumulative update this week from WU, before launch. That update alone is larger than all the service packs for NT 4.0 combined!

I expect one more SP for W7, at most.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts

2 - How much better did W7 actually get with SP1? Sure, you didn't have to install loads of updates, but the overall impression was the same as with RTM.
W7 RTM was stable.

Wasn't the original meaning of a Service Pack to just include all updates and hotfixes in a one package which can be either installed or slipstreamed? No new components were added to Win2k in any of its SPs. It's XP SP2 where a lot of new things were introduced.

Not having to install a lot of single updates is a huge advantage. Another one is that if you check what exactly was included in the SPs for 2K/XP/2K3 you will see that apart from the security updates available to download directly from WU there were also HUNDREDS of hotfixes by request included. Downloading such hotfixes separately is a pain.

As a contrast, W8 got a 170 MB large cumulative update this week from WU, before launch. That update alone is larger than all the service packs for NT 4.0 combined!

You can't compare it like that :w00t: First check size of system files in NT 4.0 and W8.

Edited by tomasz86, 14 October 2012 - 01:16 AM.

post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
Contrast the discussion here with the one at Fanboy Central ...

Microsoft may kill Windows Service Packs ( NeoWin 2012-10-12 )

I nominate this one for the Darwin Ballmer Award of the Day ...

I say good.

Waiting years for a cumulative pack of fixes is a waste of bandwidth every time you install Windows.

wtf? :blink: :huh: :no: :puke:

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,941 posts

Donator

wtf? :blink: :huh: :no: :puke:

What do you expect from the trolls at Fanboy central? Neowin is simply terrible and most users have no deeper knowledge.
Posted Image

Photek

Photek

• 29 posts

W7 RTM was stable.

Wasn't the original meaning of a Service Pack to just include all updates and hotfixes in a one package which can be either installed or slipstreamed?

Sure, but the difference between now and then is that it's not a matter of life and BSOD anymore.

No new components were added to Win2k in any of its SPs. It's XP SP2 where a lot of new things were introduced.

Who said anything about components?

Not having to install a lot of single updates is a huge advantage. Another one is that if you check what exactly was included in the SPs for 2K/XP/2K3 you will see that apart from the security updates available to download directly from WU there were also HUNDREDS of hotfixes by request included. Downloading such hotfixes separately is a pain.

Well that's what I said, right? I guess we're all a bit spoiled by the overall stability of W7 RTM compared to older versions.
W7 RTM is 3 years old now, and still usable. Of course we all use W7 with SP1 now, but RTM is still usable.
Imagine using XP RTM in 2004, it was a whole different story..

You can't compare it like that :w00t: First check size of system files in NT 4.0 and W8.

And that's my point, you can't compare six service packs for NT 4.0 from an era when MS couldn't even expect everyone to have a dial up connection,
to today when MS makes a 170 MB update to W8 before launch. Without the internet, that update alone would have been a service pack.

Edited by Photek, 14 October 2012 - 04:19 PM.

Digitalfox

Digitalfox
  • 6 posts

Contrast the discussion here with the one at Fanboy Central ...

Microsoft may kill Windows Service Packs ( NeoWin 2012-10-12 )

I nominate this one for the Darwin Ballmer Award of the Day ...

I say good.

Waiting years for a cumulative pack of fixes is a waste of bandwidth every time you install Windows.

wtf?

wtf?

What do you expect from the trolls at Fanboy central? Neowin is simply terrible and most users have no deeper knowledge.

Who would ever guessed that by searching Windows 7 SP2 a quote from me would be found...

Anyway.

LOL, that troll would be me and fanboy? Seriously, me a iPhone and Samsung S3 owner/user, PlayStation gamer, and Fedora 17 KDE as my home File Server, and I'm a fanboy for using also Windows? You guys are quick to know and acuse a person, wow so grown up around here (even someone from the *house*) aren't we?

I guess you misunderstood my post, or I made it not clear enough (reading it now do make me wonder what crap did I smoke, it doesn't make much sense), so:

I was referring to the fact most KB are unavailable or well buried in MS KB database and can't be easily found and installed. So you have to wait for a SP. With Windows 8 that's not case anymore and it's a good thing. And please spare me the Windows 8 crap, I dislike it too, but that's not point here.

So with the first "type of" SP for Windows 8 that was released, more hidden KB (and sooner) can be made available to the home user without requiring searching for OEM pages with those updates. Is it a true SP like in the old days? No it isn't.

Look, back in NT6/2000 SP's were more important, online updates were barely usable and there were lot's of limited bandwith problems, now it's not case, for 50€ my ISP provides Triple Play (TV+Internet+Phone) with unlimited bandwith, yes completely unlimited and I'm from a country that is no where the speeds most country's now have.

Now it is good to have a SP with say 2 years of updates and avoid time and bandwidth waste every time you install Windows? Yes. But nowadays not so important and even less since Microsoft doesn't bundle the last versions of it software with it, say IE9/10, Directx 11.1, etc... You still have to manually update a lot of stuff. Plus it's much harder to slispstream a SP in Windows than say 2000/XP/2003, for example you lose the option to choose edition when doing so in Vista/7 (unless you get a Technet or similiar account and grab the ISO).

I hope I now make more sense and if you disagree, fine by me. :)

PS: And thanks for the award, please send it to me, so I can put it next to my certifications.

Edited by Digitalfox, 21 October 2012 - 10:40 AM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,187 posts
@Digitalfox - I think "fanboy central" meant Neowin, not you in particular, nor were you designated as "troll". Just that the comment seemed rather silly and not very explanatory. You might use the expansive explanations you used here over at that forum. ;)

There are methods to include the "upgrade" components. As was stated, XP SP2 had new "features" that apparently no other SP ever actually offered, the reason being security (e.g. "basic" Firewall). I've never seen any SP ever offer "upgrades" (as in your example IE9), including any given SP Release of any given WinOS (since they are just "pre-integrated").

I would be willing to bet (again) that an SP2 for Win7 is being delayed due to the release of Win8. Indeed, the link given has "implications" not yet even known. It in fact "implies" that some "features/fixes" may be in this so-called Pre-RTM Win8 SP since Win8 has been found to be "flawed" for desktop use.

As for KB's being "unavailable" or "buried", seems members here have methods and even supply Link Lists via their own or other associated websites. Generally speaking, all Win OS have a list/links that are kept up to date (with some exceptions, mainly Servers). Seriously, we (generally) have this covered...

Glad to see you have a good stable Linux for a server (NOT a snark, OK?)...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN