Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

patronu

OPK for Windows 8

22 posts in this topic

it doesn't have winpe-srt.cab. i need it to build Windows RE.

Edited by patronu

Hmmm, I see the mui files for it in the en-us subdirectory, but no winpe-srt.cab in the folder. Maybe this is Vista snafu all over again, did you try grabbing it from a W8 install.

EDIT: Here is link I found, maybe helpful

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825125.aspx

Edited by MrJinje

Do you mean that I can find that cab file in windows 8? Where?

Nope, but the winre.wim is in the system32>Recovery folder (inside install.wim), mount with dism and use that as your baseline. You can add custom packages to it.

Edited by MrJinje

There is no "OPK" for Windows 8, per se. OEMs and System Builders use ADK for everything. Any "OPK" you can get for Windows 8 is documentation only.

I've never once used the SRT package in anything. You can easily build your own recovery image by using the built-in winre.wim.

There is no "OPK" for Windows 8, per se. OEMs and System Builders use ADK for everything. Any "OPK" you can get for Windows 8 is documentation only.

I've never once used the SRT package in anything. You can easily build your own recovery image by using the built-in winre.wim.

Any guides on that? This is something I been wanting to do for a while now.

Any guides on that? This is something I been wanting to do for a while now.

Guides on the winre.wim? Well it just uses winpeshl.ini to launch apps, usually recenv.exe. You can see my post about adding a custom command into the recenv program so that I can install a Windows WIM using the built-in Setup.exe with an answer file here:

This is Wiindows 7 specific however, I haven't gotten far enough into testing to build a custom Windows 8 recovery partition yet.

Michael Niehaus of Microsoft is reporting that they have non-technical reasons for not providing this to anyone, so I guess the winre.wim or boot.wim is the only way to go unless/until someone pacakages up a replacement cab we can use.

What is the purpose of the package winpe-str.cab?

What is the purpose of the package winpe-str.cab?

That's a typo, he meant WinPE-SRT.cab, it's for adding recovery disc to winpe 4.0 - which we currently can't do with the ADK because it's been removed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744533%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

WinPE-SRT

The Windows Recovery Environment feature package. Provides a recovery platform for automatic system diagnosis and repair and the creation of custom recovery solutions.

Edited by MrJinje

ah, ok. thanks for the explanation.

On second thought, if they removed it from only the RTM, maybe it exists in the RP versions of the ADK, anybody have a copy and could look, I never downloaded the RP version so I don't know.

The RP ADK documentation is good ONLY because it has an Index on the CHM. RTM ADK doesn't, which is annoying! but... the information is more complete just difficult to search for. :rolleyes:

Just installed the 8.1 ADK, it seems the WinPE-SRT.cab is AWOL again. But we have the LP

\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\WinPE_OCs\en-us\WinPE-SRT_en-us.cab

Edited by MrJinje

Well let me know if you find something to do with it! :D

It's only the language pack for it. it's useless.

yes and I also have the LP in the ADK 8.0 folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\en-us\WinPE-SRT_en-us.cab"

Aunty Mel of MDL is working on a winsxs tool that reads the new compressed modules. Maybe it will be useful in the future for extracting the .cab from the winre.wim.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/48613-Aunty-Mel-s-Cheap-And-Nasty-SxS-File-Expander-%28Updated-2013-09-26%29

update Nov 5. Extraction went successful, here is info on WinPE5.0-SRT.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/48613-Aunty-Mel-s-Cheap-And-Nasty-SxS-File-Expander-%28Updated-2013-09-29%29?p=836049&viewfull=1#post836049

http://pastebin.com/HrNYqnm0

Edited by MrJinje

Do you still have these modules somewhere? The links are dead.