Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

svchost.exe virus

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,263 posts
PLEASE look up the definition of TROJAN (what McAfee THINKS it is).

NOW look up the definition of VIRUS (what YOU think McAfee said it is).

NOW download, install, and RUN both
1 - MalwareBytes AND
2 - Spybot.
Find anything?

NOW go to the
3 - Free Panda Scan.
Find anything?

You want US to REPEATEDLY do something and YOU have NOT done ANY of those things. NUTZ on that!
DO WHAT WAS TOLD (#1, #2, and #3) and report back! PERIOD!

Now... KNOCK IT OFF!!!!

Attached Files

Edited by submix8c, 30 August 2012 - 08:20 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

PeterEl

PeterEl

• 17 posts

PLEASE look up the definition of TROJAN (what McAfee THINKS it is).

NOW look up the definition of VIRUS (what YOU think McAfee said it is).

NOW download, install, and RUN both
1 - MalwareBytes AND
2 - Spybot.
Find anything?

NOW go to the
3 - Free Panda Scan.
Find anything?

You want US to REPEATEDLY do something and YOU have NOT done ANY of those things. NUTZ on that!
DO WHAT WAS TOLD (#1, #2, and #3) and report back! PERIOD!

Now... KNOCK IT OFF!!!!

the guy does not get excited, calmer.
thanks for your variant of troubleshooting, i'll make it.... some later...
thanks again. Nice pic! :D just to the point!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,266 posts

Also, just for the record, McAfee isn't the worst antivirus out there ....

JFYI (and for a seemingly needed quick laugh :unsure: ):
http://www.msfn.org/...-xp-inst-v047z/
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__951837
I think there are NO limits to "worse" :ph34r: , but quite frankly, I would be puzzled by a product that not only detects an "own" app as a virus, but additionally affirms that it has deleted it while it hasn't..... :whistle:

:lol:

jaclaz

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Also, just for the record, McAfee isn't the worst antivirus out there ....

JFYI (and for a seemingly needed quick laugh :unsure: ):
http://www.msfn.org/...-xp-inst-v047z/
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__951837
I think there are NO limits to "worse" :ph34r: , but quite frankly, I would be puzzled by a product that not only detects an "own" app as a virus, but additionally affirms that it has deleted it while it hasn't..... :whistle:

jaclaz

Of course McAfee is sometimes totally off but i've seen almost all other antivirus doing similar things or worse:
- Kaspersky is indexing files and stores its index in the file %windir%\system32\drivers\fidbox.dat and you can't change its location. Just google fidbox.dat to see the side effects.
- F-secure is well known for its memory leaks.
- Symantec AV or Endpoint is most likely one of the worst with it virus definitions using as much space as %systemdrive% can handle and then simply stoping working. Also its default settings are the worst.
- Sophos doesn't offer a good protection. It let some viruses bypass its protection even when it detect them (conficker for example).
- TrendMicro often get problem updating and older version might be detected as virus by the newer one's. But all in all it is not that bad.
- AVG is a little better than sophos but it let conficker spread on some computers.
For the others, i didn't had the opportunity to see them working in the real world so i can't tell.

Also, there are two important things that a good antivirus should be able (at least in my opinion):
- Properly detecting new viruses (most antivirus can do that properly). And it includes having a good virus definitions update scheme (that's were some are behind).
- Being able to remove viruses (quarantine or delete depending on your settings). And there, the gap between them might be huge.
Most of the time, end users still need to report strange behavior because their AV didn't properly do its job. For example, i'm pretty sure that almost all AV out there wouldn't be able to stop conficker (of course with some specials conditions like having a weak administrator password) as conficker has dictionnary attacks on admin$ shares.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,263 posts
http://static.libsyn...ddf9/FbR632.gif

Market Share

I use Symantec. I don't say it's "the best" though. TWICE in SEVEN years and "stopped" both times.
1 - In reference to "default settings", what AV (or any software for that matter) doesn't require "tweaking"
2 - As far as the "space" there is a way to "clean" the "bloat". Got any STATS for space utilization on "the others"?
3 - Extremely opinionated, aren't you?

Back on Topic - FALSE FALSE FALSE POSITIVE! Live with it! ;)

Edited by submix8c, 30 August 2012 - 11:38 AM.

Posted Image

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
I found this site with a lot of data and stats. In 2011 McAfee got the award of the lowest false positive detected and this is very strange.
But it doesn't have the size of virus defs. I looked the system requirement of many of them and for most of them the requirement is in the real the bare minimum.

Symantec endpoint virus defs take about 3GB (with the default number of virus defs: 3) and symantec say it only require 1GB.
Trend officescan virus defs take 700MB (still with 3 virus defs) and Trend say it only require 350MB.
McAfee Viruscan virus defs take 400MB (but with 2 virus defs) and McAfee say it only require 500MB.
Kaspersky virus defs take about 800MB (but with 2 virus defs) and Kasperky say it only require 500MB.

As i work everyday with different AV in production environments, i get to see many scenarii where each AV behave differently.
For example, sometimes symantec antivirus service will take 100% cpu for hours (or until we restart its service) just because it isn't able to update properly its virus defs.
This problem appear to have been corrected with symantec endpoint.

Edited by allen2, 30 August 2012 - 01:20 PM.

PeterEl

PeterEl

• 17 posts
gays, what firewall you use?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,266 posts
Posted Image

:whistle:

jaclaz

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Spoiler

:whistle:

jaclaz

Mine is better B)

Posted Image

http://www.matousec....nge/results.php
http://www.matousec....-64/results.php
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,263 posts
I told you in your OTHER thread. SOME folks do NOT install a "firewall" but use "TCP/IP Filtering".

NO I will NOT go into "explaining that"! Do a little research ON YOUR OWN.

The whole POINT of this Forum is to HELP - NOT "Please hand it to me on a silver platter"... ;)

BTW, there are MANY threads on MSFN about "Firewalls" and "Antivirus" Products. TRY SEARCHING FIRST rather than asking for something that's ALREADY THERE (See that "gear" at the top right? CLICK IT!).

Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,766 posts

Donator

Submix8c, not sure why all the drama... :unsure:

Anyways, it is obvious to me (in light of this research) that Windows XP is a virus! Posted Image

Oh, and while I also use MSSE, I don't rely on it protecting anything. Last I checked version 1 of MSSE, it didn't even detect the EICAR file! :rolleyes:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,263 posts

Anyways, it is obvious to me (in light of this research) that Windows XP is a virus! Posted Image

:thumbup

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,266 posts

:thumbup

NO reason whatsoever to be happy :no: , as the XP virus is an evolution (bloated) of the 2K one :ph34r: .

;)

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN