Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Installing 98SE on Emachines w3629

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
Since my last post I have tried version 8, it suffters the same way. While I'm here, Curious if there was an equivalent fix to KB888111 for 98SE and ME?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
Well, I've gotten the port for the built-in sound card to work. I download uaa.zip from Intel. This looks to be the same thing as kb888111.exe for Windows 2000 sp4. I modified the inf files for that specific OS, changing the 'signature' from Windows NT to CHICAGO, removing the block (last character of each INF file), and saved them as text (as opposed to unicode) using Wordpad. I then went into the Device Manager and updated the driverless PCI card (pointing it to the folder with the modded files) and it seems to have worked. I would have thought it'd fine a new sound card. Not so... I'll keep digging. The device is now listed as 'Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio'.

Don't think it'll matter, but I do have KernelEx installed.

Edit: Bus Driver, lol!

Edited by Steven W, 17 September 2012 - 07:51 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
HDAUDBUS.SYS 5.10.1.5013 has no missing functions. Great find :thumbup

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
What about portcls.sys version 5.00.2195.6906 and sysaudio.sys version 5.00.2195.6906. Would you mind checking those for me? I could upload if need be.

Edited by Steven W, 17 September 2012 - 09:15 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I checked them all. HDAUDBUS.SYS 5.10.1.5013 is the only one.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06

I checked them all. HDAUDBUS.SYS 5.10.1.5013 is the only one.

Thank you!

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,379 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
??? Back-track FireFox to v3.6.28... I thought I indicated that. And TURN OFF FF AUTOUPDATE ENTIRELY!!!

Edited by submix8c, 18 September 2012 - 10:58 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
submix8c, I got the issue covered. I'm using Opera 12.02 as my main browser and I'll get an old version of SeaMonkey for issues (like using Java, etc). Right now, I'm more curious as to why later editions of FF behave this way when using VBEMP and if anything can be done about it. FWIW, I've use FF8 on another system with 98 SE on it and it was slower than 3, but it was acceptable to me.

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
submix8c, I almost forgot about you. I got to looking at that inf file and as far as the hard drive goes, the thing does not copy any files. It just makes the controllers show a name in the registry and device manager.

So, as long as your using a partition that's 137 GB or less, all you have to do if you have a SATA hard drive is start and run the install until the thing won't boot, get into safe mode, and you'll have to play with the IDE Channel settings of the hard drive controllers. Mine had two controllers showing in the device manager the top one has to be set to 'Only Primary IDE Channel enabled' and the bottom one to 'Only Secondary IDE Channel enabled'. That may vary depending on your machine's setup. Here's a screenshot (not mine!) showing where the setting is:

Posted Image

Once you have the proper setting for the hard drive and reboot, setup will continue.

I strongly suspect an IDE hard drive (using a partition with 137 GB or less) would simply just boot.

I was making it more difficult than it had to be in my previous attempts.

To make sure we're on the same page here, I have exactly 1 GB RAM, more than that and I'd have to work around it (according to dencorso).
I have the default settings used in the BIOS. The only thing that I can think of that might worth noting is an option for SATA speed. I have Disabled, Force SATA I and Force SATA II. Mine is set to Disabled. That seems to be the default. No need to disable hyperthreading, Windows 98SE seems to be fine with it enabled.

Once you get fully booted then you can use that file to perform updates, just install 7 zip, extract the files, go into the device manager and update device drivers one at a time by pointing to the !UPDATE.W98 folder.

If you use VBEMP driver, make sure to set up a _default.pif, to force fullscreen of the command prompt/dos-based windows:

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__794749

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131877

NOTE the underscore in that file name!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users