Office XP Patches after SP3

xpclient

Okay here are all Office XP Patches after SP3 including all security updates and non-security hotfixes by request. If the update is superseded by a newer update, the older one isn't included: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0zdwe4woufmp80/OFFXPPostSP3.zip

Here's the same for Office 97 Post SR-2 updates: https://msfn.org/board/topic/158257-office-97-patches-and-downloads-after-sr-2/

And Office 2000 Post-SP3 updates: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c47ngtkmhy7ayua/Off2000PostSP3.zip

Edited by xpclient

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I also uploaded Office 2000 Post SP3 patches if anyone's interested: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150203-office-2000-patches-after-sp3/?tab=comments#comment-1009114

And Office 97 Post SR-2 Updates: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158257-office-97-patches-and-downloads-after-sr-2/

If you want  Office 97 with integrated SR-2 (outside of MSFN of course), email me.

• 11 months later...

I've just updated my old Office XP on Windows XP to Office 2013, and decided to install my Office XP on the Windows 98SE side of my machine instead, which I'd never bothered to do before. It installed fine, although I was disappointed to find that there's no way of handling docx files with it. I had the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed on Windows XP, but of course it doesn't work with Windows 98, and I gather that there is no way around that. :(
I now want to update my new Office XP Windows 98 installation as far as I can, being that there's no update mechanism from Microsoft for it any more of course.
I've installed Service Pack 3 with no problem, and the KB947866 patch.
I then found this thread, and I've downloaded the updates ZIP package.
Am I right in assuming that you can't uses the supplied .cmd files to automatically install the patches on Windows 98?
I gather that .cmd files only work on NT systems, and just changing them to BAT files doesn't work!
I started installing them all one by one manually, and the .msp files seemed to all work, but most of the .exe files won't, they open but then crash.
I have KernelEx installed, but none of its modes make any difference.
Are most of these updates not compatible with Windows 98?
Also, is there any way in Office XP to see what updates I have got installed? Apart for "SP3" I can't see any record of the installed updates.
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

The .CMDs won't run on 98SE, that's true. But you may get the .EXEs to install, by extracting the .MSIs or .MSPs from inside them.
The compatibility pack won't install, and the excel module really does not work in 98SE. But it's possible to install the Word docx 2 doc and vice-versa converters on 98SE and it's said they do work. See:  hxxps://msfn.org/board/topic/133124-ms-office-2007-compatibility-pack-with-office-97/?do=findComment&comment=1049845 and   hxxps://msfn.org/board/topic/96877-microsoft-office-2007-compatibility-pack/

I'm getting 403:Forbidden when I try to post those links, so I've scrambled the urls.  :crazy:

Thanks as always Den!
I did have a look at those threads before, but people there seemed to think there was no guaranteed workaround to get the Compatibility Pack to work properly on 98, so I didn't really pursue it. I don't really want to get into things like installing 98se2Me on the system.
I thought I'd just find a 98-compatible separate reader for the docx files I have, as I'll never need to edit them on 98 anyway, but I'm not having much luck finding even that. I've tried a couple which say they work on Windows 98 but actually they don't!
I will try the Office XP update files using the extracted installers, it may indeed just be the packagers that fail in 98.
Cheers, Dave.

On Παρασκευή, 10 Αυγούστου 2018 at 12:11 AM, Dave-H said:

I gather that .cmd files only work on NT systems, and just changing them to BAT files doesn't work!

Have you tried that? In fact it is the same thing, of course if they contain commands not valid for Windows 98 this is another thing.

I've now got the 2007 Compatibility Pack installed, and Word can read docx files, which is all I needed.
I still don't see how I can tell what updates have been installed on Office XP, apart from SP3.
How can I check this?
:dubbio:
Also, although obviously not a deal breaker, the Office Assistant won't work. Is it actually compatible with Windows 98?

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I still don't see how I can tell what updates have been installed on Office XP, apart from SP3.
How can I check this?

Don't they appear in the add/remove programs lis, like on XP? :unsure: I'm becoming less and less able to help... during those 4 years since I've forfeited 98SE I guess I've already forgotten more about it than most latecomers'll ever learn... :( Not that I meant to, though... Anyway, do look at MDGx's site carefully: I seem to remember MS Installer v.3 does work on 9x/ME (but I may be remembering it wrong, by now, of course :crazy:). BTW, I think word actuall does save in .docx format, but it gives the saved file a .doc extension, because four-letter extensions were unusual at the time 9x/ME were written (and they still sound somewhat obscene, don't they?). :D