Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

xplode, what is this

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Famer

Famer

Aka Snake Plissken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
hey guys what's is this xplode program about and what is it used for or how can it be used

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

shawn26

shawn26

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04
Wraith would say.....

*bashes head against the wall*
*bashes head against the wall* :)

Try the search engine. There would be many information ybout XPlode!
But i will explain in one sentence!

Unattended Installation of WinXP or W2K, hotfixes, applications, adding users and groups, copying files and directories and so on...

Here (where it could be run): T13 min, T12 min, T9 min, after first logon
Here (XPlode 1.0x Plugin Development): Plugin Development

Wraith:

It's the new, completely rewritten XPinstall.

I wasn't terribly happy with more than half of my code, so I decided to rewrite it - figured a name change would be a Good Thing ™

:rolleyes:

Shawn26

Famer

Famer

Aka Snake Plissken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
seems to indepth for me right now i will stick with GM's progie seems like the Xplode program runs like his

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
oiy...

Famer, if you don't understand something, you really should try the search first. You could have also LOOKED in the sicky seciton, or even possibly, oh i don't know, SEARCHED XPLODE or XPINSTALL.

THIS IS NOT LIKE GM's XPCreate. It has the capibilities of running programs and thats about all that is the same between the two. This does OTHER STUFF.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Famer

Famer

Aka Snake Plissken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
okie guys cool out you guys build progies s fast around here and no one puts up a how to guid with any of them it's kinda hard to tell what they do and dont do

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
There's something that's been stated before, but obviously needs stating again.

Search the forum.

And for the benefit of Mr Kite, there will be a show tonight, on the wall.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03

okie guys cool out you guys build progies s fast around here and no one puts up a how to guid with any of them it's kinda hard to tell what they do and dont do

WHOA!!

no one puts out a how to. If there sufficient documentation there is NEVER a need for a how to. Did you honestly need a how to to run windows?

There is a how to to get the program running. There is documentation with a PICTURE of what the program could look like WHILE running.

Famer, you need to READ before asking questions. You obviously don't sometimes.
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
A picture says a thousand words :)

*bashes head against wall*

Famer

Famer

Aka Snake Plissken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
@ you guys Wise Asses lol

LANJAN

LANJAN

• 30 posts
  • Joined 03-March 04
I kind of agree with Famer.
I have been looking around a bit in order to learn a bit more about XPlode.
But since XPlode is never mentioned in any guide on how to make an unattended xp install and since I dont really know what it does (and the sticky posts don't help either) I did not feel the need to download or use it, since the unattended install works fine without an extra tool. So someone tell me what is the BENEFIT of using XPload, what can it do, that I cannot do with winnt.sif?
A screenshot and a cryptic description on how to start it don't give me too much information on all that.
I mean if I can start the executable for XPload I can as well start any Batchfile.

Maybe what people need is not a "How To" guide but perhaps an introduction to what exactly that thing is, and a reference to the documentation.
Maybe you should make the documentation available over the net, so people can determine if this method is worth trying out before they download another tool, spend time with it and then figure out that is not what they want.
I guess that would be better that continuously banging your head against a wall.

Regards
-LANJAN-

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
haha maybe its because it was called xpinstall
but it doesn't matter
because I think at least alanoll's signature explains everything.
and also if u look at the unattended guide there is a nice link to ppl's creations of programs and its also in threads of interest
i think u didn't click enough :)

let me go with the trend as well :

*bashes head against the wall* :rolleyes: Posted Image

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

Posted Image

Oh man, I wish I had thought of doing that earlier...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

I kind of agree with Famer.
I have been looking around a bit in order to learn a bit more about XPlode.
But since XPlode is never mentioned in any guide on how to make an unattended xp install and since I dont really know what it does (and the sticky posts don't help either) I did not feel the need to download or use it, since the unattended install works fine without an extra tool. So someone tell me what is the BENEFIT of using XPload, what can it do, that I cannot do with winnt.sif?
A screenshot and a cryptic description on how to start it don't give me too much information on all that.
I mean if I can start the executable for XPload I can as well start any Batchfile.

Maybe what people need is not a "How To" guide but perhaps an introduction to what exactly that thing is, and a reference to the documentation.
Maybe you should make the documentation available over the net, so people can determine if this method is worth trying out before they download another tool, spend time with it and then figure out that is not what they want.
I guess that would be better that continuously banging your head against a wall.

Regards
-LANJAN-

XPlode is less than a month old. Not too many people have been using it to do an unattended setup, which is why there's no OFFICIAL how-to.

You'll find that there is documentation available, on the XPlode website.

Now, just looking at the forum, there's no sticky saying where the site is, so that will be rectified in the near future.

However, if you had read both mine and Alanoll's signatures, the links there will undoubtedly explain what it is, how to run it, and all the documentation to set it up.

As for benefits, I'm not going to list any because it's up to the user's preference. If they decide XPlode is better than command lines and whatnot, they'll use it. If they come to the conclusion that the converse is true, then they will use cmdlines. All it boils down to is whether the user wants to use it or not.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
:rolleyes:
Posted Image

haha :)

patters

patters

• 36 posts
  • Joined 18-March 04
I don't think you're being very fair to the original poster. As someone who discovered this today, I'm still not sure what the point of Xplode is. I've looked at the site, and I've also downloaded the package. I do not see any basic documentation explaining what it's use is. Sure there's a ton of stuff on here about very specific XML setups etc. but at the end of the day there is no clear explanation beyond this:

XPlode is a tool which aids installation of programs during a Windows XP / 2003 installation. (Even been known to run under Win2K! Requires a copy of GDIPLUS.DLL.)

This thread goes into a lot of detail (http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=15076) but I'm still not sure what's so great about Xplode. Is it just a graphical frontend to the usual unattended install progress that happens to use the same look and feel as Microsoft's installer to make your install generally look better?

Here are the most obvious questions I can think of having looked at the screenshots and read what little I could find, so maybe there should be a FAQ on the site.

. Does it seamlessly graft onto the existing Windows install screens? i.e. can you use the normal Windows layout, fonts and graphics?
. What is XPInstall.exe (mentioned in the Docs but not in the downloadable archive)? Is this the Microsoft binary, or was it some prior version of Xplode.exe?

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
all fonts you can used have to be registered on the system (basically in the font folder, and the registry entries entered).
Graphics, I beleive it supports most graphic formats you may wish to use.

By seamless graft onto the existing Windows, I guess you mean the GUIInstall mode. This XPlode running in a trasparent background state and draws right on top of the "advertisements" during the Windows Setup. If you use this at first startup (via GUIRunOnce or the like) then I would advise StandAlone which would be like a RunOnceEX box, but instead however you speficy in the configs how you want it to look.

Not sure what you mean by Windows Layout, sorry.

XPInstall.exe, that was a previous incarnation of XPlode.exe, but the name was changed as another XPInstall program was found and Wraith didn't want any trouble later on.

patters

patters

• 36 posts
  • Joined 18-March 04

all fonts you can used have to be registered on the system (basically in the font folder, and the registry entries entered).
Graphics, I beleive it supports most graphic formats you may wish to use.

By seamless graft onto the existing Windows, I guess you mean the GUIInstall mode. This XPlode running in a trasparent background state and draws right on top of the "advertisements" during the Windows Setup. If you use this at first startup (via GUIRunOnce or the like) then I would advise StandAlone which would be like a RunOnceEX box, but instead however you speficy in the configs how you want it to look.

Not sure what you mean by Windows Layout, sorry.

XPInstall.exe, that was a previous incarnation of XPlode.exe, but the name was changed as another XPInstall program was found and Wraith didn't want any trouble later on.

Thanks Alanoll that has cleared things up. So really the major advantage is cosmetic (progress bars etc.).

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
pretty much
but there is also plugin support so say someone makes a plugin to do something (logon to a Domain maybe, i dunno), you just drop it into the XPlode folder and the comman is accessible through XPlode.

say you want to Create a shortut at runtime, the new XPlode has a function to do that.

but its pretty much cosmetics

big_gie

big_gie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Joined 27-July 03
I think XPlode's first intend can be interpreted from the screen shots.

While installing Windows XP (or whatever else), instead of having an ugly dos box openned to install your apps, you get a nice gui window, period :)

thats the goal of XPlode and I don't understand why it should be so difficult to understand? Of course there is some advanced features like plugins and GUIInstall/Standalone, but those are just details... the goal is really just running your command a nice way!

Maybe the screenshots should be updated with a more "intuitive" ones?

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Maybe they should. If someone wants to make some for me, I'd be quite grateful :)

On a sidenote, all XML's for v1.0.5+ will now need to be UNICODE... not UTF-8, not ISO-8859-1, not UNICODE(Big Endian), but plain old UNICODE. Codepage 1200 if you're interested.

This SEEMS to have fixed some, if not all, regionalisation issues. Will test it with things like chinese characters in a short while.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Well, the chinese characters don't work... they're probably not part of the unicode spec. *shrugs* (The title should be three chinese characters.)

Posted Image

You can see the difference.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
is there a spec you haven't tried? :)

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Actually, it was the font.

/me forgot that most fonts don't support chinese characters :rolleyes:

Make sure you use a font that supports the characters you want :)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

SlimShady

SlimShady

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 29-November 03
Nice job! :)

db2k

db2k

• 32 posts
  • Joined 22-February 04
Heres your fricken how to:

1) Find your favorite interweb browser. its the thing that allows you to access that great sea of information. In many cases looks like an "e" on the left side of that big tv part of your computer.

2) take that weird looking ( usually white ) thing with the buttons that fits in your hand and move that arrow thinger on the tv part of your computer over the top of the icon we found before.

3) click twice ( regular click )

4) Look way at the top of the internet program and way up at the top you should see a big long bar with the word address next to it. That's where we want to start.

5) again grab a hold of that white thing with the buttons and click in that space at the top.

6) this is where it gets trickey. Now we are going use that big thing in front of you with the alphabet on it. type in the following: www.google.com

7) press the key labeled "enter", also on the white thing with the alphabet on it.

8) Now you should see a white screen with the words GOOGLE across the top.

9) click in that white typing space box. This is where we will type in the name of the program.

10) type in the following: xplode

11) Now were gonna be cool and bypass about 80 steps. Click the "Im feeling lucky" button.

12) and there ya go a complete description of the program.

...... Sir? , sir you still following me. umm no sir the icon with the "e" on it. No sir its not black... it should be blue. No sir i can't tell you exactly where it is in inches on your tv. Sir it should be on the left side... Wait no sir, you need to turn on your computer. No sir stop kicking it, its not broke just turn it on.
-db2k (Ryan)
www.thedb2k.com
lahifr33@uwosh.edu
AIM: thedb2k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users