registry invalid parameter

Really! I'm giggling, you could not get my talk. Since i'm replying with my cell hence i can't state the actual registry, but you can use regshot!

If i flashback at mind, i got i need to modify "Vid" and "Mode" please check with "Regshot".

Anyway whether you still did not comprehend, so this moment, will you reply how to use "HKU\S-1XXXXXXX\Software\Microsoft" registry at RunOnce?

And also help me out here:

Edited by FixHELL

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I think that instead of giggling you could at least try to be a little more polite, otherwise soon there will be no-one willing to help you. It's your problem so it's you to provide us with detailed information, not the other way round :ph34r:

This one registry entry is responsible for thumbnails view of the Control Panel in Windows XP:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-823518204-839522115-1202660629-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\34\Shell]
"Vid"="{8BEBB290-52D0-11D0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}"

This should work in hivedef.inf:

[AddReg]
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\34\Shell","Vid",,"{8BEBB290-52D0-11D0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}"

You may find Reg2Inf useful when converting the desired registry entries.

Edited by tomasz86

Please note that the OP wants this for ALL users (AFAICT) during "Unattended" Install. The Registry Entries the OP has listed is for CURRENT User and the OP wants it for ALL Users and WILL NOT WORK one-by-one UNTIL each user is actually DEFINED.

That's why I suggested that the change be made to DEFAULT so that WHEN any given User (including the INITIAL Administrator, if kept via nLite, which the OP did NOT say they were using) the changes would be "picked up" at Logon (when the User Profile/Folder) is created.

Now... in the HIVEDEF file - how would it be done (entries) for DEFAULT user based on the Reg entries given?

(I really don't know myself - I linked to modding a Basic "Default" NTUSER.DAT and possibly "replacing" it during install).

The MISUNDERSTANDING the OP has is that HKU is the HIVE needing changed - NOT SO! It's the INDIVIDUAL one(s) BENEATH it which ONLY "HKCU" (under the s-Value for the Given Logon - DO NOT CHANGE THAT ONE) and OR "DEFAULT" (which is NOT what one can ACTUALLY mod - the "HKU\.DEFAULT" one - ref HKU\s-Value=HKCU). It's GOT to be nodded in the NTUSER.DAT of the "Documents and Settings\Default).

HTH the confusion.

@submix8c

I don't think that there exists any detailed documentation on this but basing on my testing I can say that there exist no real users when the hive files are applied. What is applied to HKCU becomes HKLM and HKU too. That's why adding the HKCU entries to the hivedef.inf should be enough because they will be applied to HKCU/HKLM/HKU. The NTUSER.DAT will be created later and should contain all the changes :)

I'll test it again today using the hivedef.inf to check if everything works as expected.

Edit: Tested. Works.

I added this to hivedef.inf:

[AddReg]
HKCU,"Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics","MinWidth",0x00000002,"-255"

It should change the size of taskbar icons so that only icons (no text) is displayed. This is the result after on a fresh installation:

9tLCY.jpg

The entry is present in both HKCU & HKU (no HKLM because "Control Panel" is not present there at all).

Edited by tomasz86

The entry is present in both HKCU & HKU (no HKLM because "Control Panel" is not present there at all).
I am... SOOO confused! You mean that appears DIRECTLY UNDER "HKU"???

My Running System:

HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER <- Me (Current User)

HKU = HKEY_USERS <- Top-Level - Sub-"Folders" only

HKU\.DEFAULT <- Contents (?) of "Documents And Settings\DEFAULT\NTUSER.DAT" - The Defaults for any New User

HKU\S-1-5-18 <- Local System

HKU\S-1-5-19 <- NT Authority Local Service

HKU\S-1-5-19_CLASSES <- (empty)

HKU\S-1-5-20 <- NT Authority Network Service

HKU\S-1-5-20_CLASSES <- (empty)

HKU\S-1-5-21(etc) <- Me (Current User - Administrator Account)

HKU\S-1-5-21(etc)_CLASSES <-Me (Current User - Administrator Account)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330

I should have been more clear. Sorry :blushing:

This is exactly where the entry appears:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
"MinWidth"="-255"

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
"MinWidth"="-255"

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1957994488-507921405-1343024091-500\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
"MinWidth"="-255"

The last one being the Administrator account (there are no other accounts in the system).

Moreover, it's also present in NTUSER.DAT. After loading it to HKU\CUSTOM (see #3):

HKEY_USERS\CUSTOM\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
"MinWidth"="-255"

All of this means that all changes added to hivedef.inf become default values for all system accounts created later. For me this is WAY simpler than playing with cmdlines or using other "documented" methods :lol: Just add the modifications to hivedef.inf and you're done.

Edited by tomasz86

EGG-ZACTLY what I was hoping you'd say!

"Current User" (HKCU) in the context of the HIVEDEF apparently means "DEFAULT" at "build" time!

Don't know about anyone else, but I'd say "Case Closed". OP needs tonly o add appropriate entries.

THANK you tomasz86 for the "testing"! :thumbup Useful! :w00t:

"You da man!"

"No, YOU da man!"

"No, YOU..."

No problem :) I also wasn't 100% sure about this but now I am. I wish I had known it earlier :lol: I'll try to use this method to set the folder view to details, custom resolution, Start Menu small icons and some other things. After more testing I'll post a reply here so keep an eye on this topic ;)

Edited by tomasz86

No problem :) I also wasn't 100% sure about this but now I am. I wish I had known it earlier :lol: I'll try to use this method to set the folder view to details, custom resolution, Start Menu small icons and some other things. After more testing I'll post a reply here so keep an eye on this topic ;)

With all due respect to everyone involved :), I wouldn't call this exactly "news" :ph34r:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/tips/jsi-tip-2520-how-can-i-customize-registry-settings-prior-to-installing-windows-2000-

Or am I missing something? :unsure:

jaclaz

With all due respect to everyone involved :), I wouldn't call this exactly "news" :ph34r:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/tips/jsi-tip-2520-how-can-i-customize-registry-settings-prior-to-installing-windows-2000-

Or am I missing something? :unsure:

Right but I haven't really seen this method mentioned in many places :P Most people seem to try using cmdlines or other "common" methods. Even if the hive files are mentioned, they usually talk about hivesys/hivesft but not that much about hivedef.

Right but I haven't really seen this method mentioned in many places :P Most people seem to try using cmdlines or other "common" methods. Even if the hive files are mentioned, they usually talk about hivesys/hivesft but not that much about hivedef.

Sure :), but "popular" is not necessarily a synonym of "good" or "better" ;), it simply means "popular", as well "obscure" or "rarely talked about" is not a synonym of "bad" or "worse", if you prefer I was surprised :w00t: at your (and submix8's) surprise at seeing this approach work allright..... (as documented - in few places - at least since 2K times :angel )

jaclaz

Well, to be sure, the "hooks" between the info is there now. I couldn't find it although I was sure it had to be there somewhere.

Now YOU da man!

(sorry, tomasz86, you have been dethroned. :w00t: Finder still reigns but - where were you on this earlier? <-rhetorical )

(sorry, tomasz86, you have been dethroned. :w00t: Finder still reigns but - where were you on this earlier? <-rhetorical )

Oww, comeon, this is unfair to tomasz86 :w00t: me still thinks he's da man. :thumbup (as much as I'm still The Finder ;))

You da man disputes tend to soon become like .... :ph34r:

3f326c08-856f-44d4-9463-eb62696917da.jpg

jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, you can also also change the location of user folders through HIVEDEF.INF. Just go to [strings] and change these lines as you wish:

U_SHELL_FOLDERS_APPDATA="%USERPROFILE%\Application Data"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_DESKTOP="%USERPROFILE%\Desktop"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_FAVORITES="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_NETHOOD="%USERPROFILE%\NetHood"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PERSONAL="%USERPROFILE%\My Documents"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PRINTHOOD="%USERPROFILE%\PrintHood"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PROGRAMS="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_RECENT="%USERPROFILE%\Recent"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_SENDTO="%USERPROFILE%\SendTo"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_START_MENU="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_STARTUP="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_TEMPLATES="%USERPROFILE%\Templates"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_COOKIES="%USERPROFILE%\Cookies"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_MYPICTURES="%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_LOCAL_SETTINGS="%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_LOCAL_APPDATA="%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_CACHE="%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_HISTORY="%USERPROFILE%\History"

These are taken directly from Win2k's HIVESYS.INF so they may differ a little bit in case of XP/2003.

Edited by tomasz86