registry invalid parameter

hi all, i've two pc installed xp. frequently i do format my pc. But i've some settings which i always need, hence i did saved all registry setting and converted that to command (i don't think, i should elaborate that how did i convert since it is working on my that pc where had i created that registry)

But when i tried to execute that "cmd" on 2nd pc. It could not done (said: invalid parameter) . I then seen that registry with notepad.

I Noticed:

Every user has different line beetween "HKU" and "Software\Microsoft" like:

HKU\S-1XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\Software\Microsoft

SO NOW, HOW TO SET "COMMAND LINE" WHICH CAN PERFORM THAT JOB ON MY EVERY USER?

what command i need set instead of "S-1XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" ?? will someone help?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/03/02/1786493.aspx

The registry settings for new users do not come from the .Default user. Rather, they come from what I've started calling the "template user", which is kept in the file C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\ntuser.dat
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168475

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753

Google:

create default user profile xp site:www.msfn.org

...and dig in...

HTH (BTW, I've never tried this - some other esteemed member that HAS done it may be able to specifically help)

You can edit the default user profile (ntuser.dat) like this:

1. Load it:

reg.exe LOAD HKU\CUSTOM "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\..\Default User\NTUSER.DAT"

2. Open the registry (regedit) and edit the HKU\CUSTOM.

3. Unload it:

reg.exe UNLOAD HKU\CUSTOM

DUDE! You should for "Unattended INSTALL" to a No-OS-Installed Partition utilize the DEFAULT "NTUSER.DAT" by

1 - Install then MODIFY the pre-existing one AND "replace" during #2, #3, #n INSTALLS

-OR-

2 - INSTALL and WHEN the DEFAULT "NTUSER.DAT" file is CREATED, do the SAME THING as shown.

READ a little - we CANNOT provide you with one as we

1 - DON'T KNOW what "mods" you want

-OR-

2 - DON'T want to "do for you" when you can

2a - Do it yourself

-AND-

2b - Come back when you have problems with it AFTER YOU TRY IT.

The WHOLE IDEA is to provide the "mods" to ANY AND ALL NEW USERS THAT GET DEFINED AFTER INSTALL COMPLETES! ONE TIME and NOT for "each user" AFTER.

Besides, WHAT are you going to do - run a "script" each time a NEW USER is defined?

We don't do "hand on a silver platter" here - we HELP people HELP THEMSELVES?

I hope this clarifies the situation. Read a little, come back with SPECIFIC questions, OK?

DUDE! You should for "Unattended INSTALL" to a No-OS-Installed Partition utilize the DEFAULT "NTUSER.DAT" by

1 - Install then MODIFY the pre-existing one AND "replace" during #2, #3, #n INSTALLS

-OR-

2 - INSTALL and WHEN the DEFAULT "NTUSER.DAT" file is CREATED, do the SAME THING as shown.

READ a little - we CANNOT provide you with one as we

1 - DON'T KNOW what "mods" you want

-OR-

2 - DON'T want to "do for you" when you can

2a - Do it yourself

-AND-

2b - Come back when you have problems with it AFTER YOU TRY IT.

The WHOLE IDEA is to provide the "mods" to ANY AND ALL NEW USERS THAT GET DEFINED AFTER INSTALL COMPLETES! ONE TIME and NOT for "each user" AFTER.

Besides, WHAT are you going to do - run a "script" each time a NEW USER is defined?

We don't do "hand on a silver platter" here - we HELP people HELP THEMSELVES?

I hope this clarifies the situation. Read a little, come back with SPECIFIC questions, OK?

I have not get properly. I think, You mean :-

1. I have to install my xp on formatted partition.

2. Modify the "HKU" registry as i want.

3. Afterwards now will have modifiyed "NTUSER.DAT"

4. i need to copy that "NTUSER.DAT" to xp setup.

5. AND now have to add replace command (which will replace my my current modified "NTUSER.DAT" with what system creates. )

MY QUESTIONS:

<i> am i right above?

<ii> is there any other way as asked?

Edited by FixHELL

Not exactly ;)

1. If you've already installed the system you just need to do what I wrote in #3. You can add the changes to the NTUSER.DAT and then all new user accounts will use the modified registry settings.

2. If you want to add your changes before actually installing the system then you can do it by modifying a file called i386\hivedef.inf. Just add your changes under the [AddReg] section.

Not exactly ;)

1. If you've already installed the system you just need to do what I wrote in #3. You can add the changes to the NTUSER.DAT and then all new user accounts will use the modified registry settings.

2. If you want to add your changes before actually installing the system then you can do it by modifying a file called i386\hivedef.inf. Just add your changes under the [AddReg] section.

I will surely like to do but as i said before every user has a different user id now how i do?

How i determine this?

Are you talking about the existing user accounts? You could use

reg.exe /query HKU

to get the IDs and then you can write a script utilising reg.exe to add the entries to each of them.

Edited by tomasz86

reg.exe /query HKU

to get the IDs and then you can write a script utilising reg.exe to add the entries to each of them.

Not actually, i want to create an unattended windows xp, which could process my registry settings on HKU. Hey folks help me.

What I said is part of the Information.

#2 of what tomasz86 said is the other part.

HKU consists of System-oriented and the CURRENTLY logged on user and does NOT include any/all users that exist/are-defined.

Try looking in "Documents and Settings" folder. Now look in the sub-folders. See the "NTUSER.DAT" files? Those are the Profiles. DO NOT MESS WITH NON-USER ONES! The "Default User\NTUSER.DAT" is the DEFAULT for any/all NEW USERS (no matter WHEN defined) - it is the SOURCE of the New Users (copied right in there to any new user AFTER defined THEN logs on FIRST TIME).

User Profile Folders DO NOT EXIST until the USER-ID's are DEFINED - AND (see that AND AND AND) - The USER-ID Logs On FIRST TIME! Try it! Define a New User and see if the Folder exists! Now Log On as that User - BINGO! Folder and NTUSER.DAT (from DEFAULT) now exist.

Either you have to MODIFY the DEFAULT one and "copy" it in -OR- Modify it via tomasz86' suggestion.

Please do try "Google"....

reg.exe /query HKU

Not actually, i want to create an unattended windows xp, which could process my registry settings on HKU. Hey folks help me.

Then you should just edit i386\hivedef.inf :whistle: The file is located on your XP CD (ISO). You need to extract / copy it, add changes and then remake the ISO / create a bootable CD.

The changes will apply to ALL user profiles.

Edited by tomasz86

reg.exe /query HKU

Then you should just edit i386\hivedef.inf :whistle: The file is located on your XP CD (ISO). You need to extract / copy it, add changes and then remake the ISO / create a bootable CD.

The changes will apply to ALL user profiles.

OK, I get, i need to edit hivedef.inf

But HOW? I don't have future user id. Read my topic description please.

Or HAVE ANY EXAMPLE?

All setting from hivedef.inf will be applied to the future users. You don't need any IDs! Have you actually opened the file?

You will see something like this:

[AddReg]
HKCU,"AppEvents",,0x00000012
HKCU,"AppEvents\EventLabels",,0x00000012
HKCU,"AppEvents\EventLabels\.Default","",0x00000000,"%DEFAULT_BEEP%"

Scroll the file to the end, add another [AddReg] section and just add your custom lines in the same way.

All setting from hivedef.inf will be applied to the future users. You don't need any IDs! Have you actually opened the file?

You will see something like this:

[AddReg]
HKCU,"AppEvents",,0x00000012
HKCU,"AppEvents\EventLabels",,0x00000012
HKCU,"AppEvents\EventLabels\.Default","",0x00000000,"%DEFAULT_BEEP%"

Scroll the file to the end, add another [AddReg] section and just add your custom lines in the same way.

Hey i asked at HKU not HKCU

I need to know at:

HKU\S-1XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX