Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

ok, Windows hangs while loading the registry hives:

ntkrnlmp.exe!CmpInitializeHive
ntkrnlmp.exe!CmpDoFindSubKeyByNumber

this time run this:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+POWER+REG_HIVE+REGISTRY -stackwalk profile+RegHiveInit+RegHiveDestroy+RegHiveLink+RegHiveDirty+RegQueryKey+RegEnumerateKey+RegEnumerateValueKey+RegDeleteKey+RegCreateKey+RegOpenKey

this traces Registry activity, too. And please,compress the file as 7z (LZMA2 with ULTRA compression ratio to reduce the filesize!) before uploading it.

how large is the registry file SOFTWARE under C:\Windows\System32\config? Opening some keys takes some time.

~680 000 KB :)

The second largest file is COMPONENTS, which is ~36 000 KB.

oh, I forgot your topic.

This is bad. Run RU (registry usage) from Sysinternals to see which key is soo large:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dn194428.aspx

ru -ct -v HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE > D:\reg2.csv

now open the CSV and look which keys are the largest in size.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

My Windows 8 loads really slowly and behaves generally terribly.

I have for ages checked the task manager and it often says things like 1.5MB/s - 100% Disk usage, which seems totally wrong...

The task manager is another thing that's slow, if I ask for it, it takes about a minute to appear and if I use CTRL+SHIFT+ESC multiple times, when it decides to show itself it shows two copies of the task manager, one full mode and one the stripped down mode...

I have tried to do the boot analysis as a beginning point to see what is going on and I get errors when I try to process the two ETL files that appear:

Using cmd as an Admin, I get the following output when I try to process the files into XML:

C:\temp>xperf /tti -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1_km_premerge.etl -o summary_boot.xml -a boot[1/2]    100.0%[2/2]    100.0%Execute: boot [0x80004005]C:\temp>xperf /tti -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1_um_premerge.etl -o summary_boot_um.xml -a boot[1/2]    100.0%[2/2][-]   0.1%warning: EventSink {08bf3547-4cf4-4f28-9ea7-95267fb97af6} signaled an Invalid Event:         Event#: 726252   (T#0:#726252)         TimeStamp:  341361587, Process: 2172, Thread: 3292, Cpu:   2         ProviderId: {30336ed4-e327-447c-9de0-51b652c86108}         EventDescriptor: 0x2581 0x2581 0x01   0x00    0x10    0x04  0x8000000004010000         UserDataLength: 0[2/2]    100.0%Execute: boot [0x8000ffff]

Then the generated XML files say:

For "boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1_km_premerge.etl", the XML file has the following error: "Boot action failed: Could not locate ExplorerReady event or mark.".

For "boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1_um_premerge.etl", the XML file has the following error: "Boot action failed: No disk IOs found.".

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. =)

I have dual boot Windows 8 and 8.1 and it is slow till it reaches desktop, it waits 3-4 minutes at the dual boot screen not much activity it seems. And suddenly some disk activity and second monitor goes power on.

I have removed the hibernate file with powercfg command. Maybe I should put it back, but I only have 4-5 gig free space left after installing Windows 8 SDK and the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit. I installed all the stuff on the C:-drive. I also don't know how to check which boot mode I use the fast startup or hybrid boot, don't know how to check this. I am going to read some more about this.

I did a powercfg /h on

summary_boot.xml

Edited by pmania

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me, my laptop which has Windows 8 takes 140 seconds to shutdown , I just did a "recover to factory image" 2 weeks ago, everything was ok.

but now suddenyl the shutdown takes so long!

I tried a lot of things like enabling/disabling "Fast Startup" and enabling/disabling hibernate

(and by the way a hibernate takes the exact same duration 140 seconds)

Also I did a pure system shutdown from CMD using "shutdown /s /t 0" to avoid hybrid shutdown.

bu all these steps did nothing and the shut down time is as it is 140 seconds.

The "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" is set to 5000ms (tried changing it to 3000ms and nothing changed)

Also the "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" is set to 0

I uplodad the .etl file and the .xml log here

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bh7b2u4u3mbfak0/logs.zip

I noticed that the shutdwon time in the log is "70060" not 140000 or even around it , also the "NtShutdownSystem" is taking 65270!!

Thanks in advance :)

the trace doesn't sow me why the kernel takes so much time to shutdown. Run this command instead:

xbootmgr –trace boot -traceFlags BASE+LATENCY+DISK_IO_INIT+DISPATCHER+DRIVERS+FILE_IO+FILE_IO_INIT+NETWORKTRACE+PERF_COUNTER+POWER+PRIORITY+REGISTRY -stackwalk profile+CSwitch+ReadyThread -resultPath C:\TEMP

*do'h*

I posted a boot command, not shutdown. Sorry. Try this:

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+LATENCY+DISK_IO_INIT+DISPATCHER+DRIVERS+FILE_IO+FILE_IO_INIT+NETWORKTRACE+PERF_COUNTER+POWER+PRIORITY+REGISTRY -stackwalk profile+CSwitch+ReadyThread -resultPath C:\TEMP