Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

bootvis Performance Boot slow

• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

AlistairLipp

AlistairLipp
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-August 13

Dear MagicAndre, I also have a very slow Windows 8 boot. I have followed your instructions and have looked at the trace in the graphic Windows Performance analyser. I seem to have a very long WinLogin time. If my interpretation is correct, this is linked to a long time in the "None" group linked to a long FDResPub and SSDPSRV.

But - what does this mean and what can I do about it? Summary_boot.xml in link below.

http://sdrv.ms/152c2Jk

Alistair

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

booting to the UI is slow:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="61794" bootDoneViaPostBoot="74194"

61s to UI and 64s to be fully booted.

First delay happens when Windows hangs scanning the SATA controller

pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_8086+DEV_2822+SUBSYS_B0001458+REV_00\3+13c0b0c5+0+FA" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="468" endTime="2659" duration="2191" prePendTime="2191" description="Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller" friendlyName="" /> 

prePendTime = driver issue. Get a new Intel driver.

The longest delay seams to be caused by Group Policy client:

- <notification type="Logon" sessionId="1" startTime="24350" endTime="60083" duration="35734">
  <subscriber name="GPClient" startTime="24586" endTime="60045" duration="35460" /> 

Which GPOs do you apply?

Posted Image

AlistairLipp

AlistairLipp
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-August 13

Thanks. I have installed a new RAID driver going from a version 8.x to a version 12.x (!). However, I don't think I have any GPO policies. I have checked rsop.msc and nothing showing there either.

So I am still puzzled.

A

KenEsq

KenEsq
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 14-September 13

MagicAndre1981,

Two separate Windows 8 x64 machines started having very slow boot times after the August Windows Updates.

Machines boot very quickly to the logon screen and then after either:

1. Supply password

2. Entering fingerprint (laptop)

3. Entering PIN (desktop)

It takes almost a minute to get to the desktop. Prior to the patches I would see the desktop (I use Start8) within 20 seconds.

To give a little more info, after I login the long wait generally occurs prior to seeing the "welcome" message and spinning dots.

At first I thought it might be Google Drive and removed that from my startup, but that made no difference.

I've also tried a couple of different AVs (bitdefender and now Panda), but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Attached Files

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

this service is extremely slow:

serviceTransition name="PSUAService" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="60841" firstCheckpointTimeDelta="190" processingTimeDelta="60651" container="PSUAService.exe (3172)" startedAt="9016" firstCheckpointedAt="9206" endedAt="69857" /> 

This is Panda Cloud Antivirus.

Posted Image

KenEsq

KenEsq
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 14-September 13

Thank you for the quick response. You were correct. I uninstalled Panda and boot times came right back. I then reinstalled bitdefender and slow boots again. Uninstalled that and tried Panda and same thing.

Both of them were working fine until the August updates. I'm not seeing a lot of other reports on the issue though.

Anyway, for now I'll run MS Defender until I can figure this one out.

Thank you again for your time.

Ken

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

hi - have followed instructions in post 1 - hope i got it right - my system has recently started to take an age to restart - the bootup part is fine - it just seems to hang for ages with the rotating icon waiting to shut down - log is here - again hope i have done it right

link deleted

its double dutch to me - but would appreciate any help

thanks

Edited by adacom, 28 September 2013 - 12:55 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

what is the service "ndassvc"? This service seams to hang during shutdown

Posted Image

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

its for a drive on the network - slightly different to a normal nas drive in that it needs software on each pc that wants access - bit old technology now - made by XIMETA - and that was and is the problem stop the service and all is back to normal - will have to put up with it - but at least i know the problem

how you saw that i have no idea but we all have our own knowledge

thanks for your time and the solution

tony

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

how you saw that

Open the ETL with xperfview and go to the service graph and here you see a long line of the service. This means it takes very long to shutdown the service.
Posted Image

littlesantashelper

littlesantashelper
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-October 13

Hi all,

I have a VERY big issue with boot timings with Win 8.1.

20 mins of delay with black screen between loading ico and boot of Windows

Here is my trace:

https://dl.dropboxus.../boot-trace.zip

-<services autoStartDuration="1741" autoStartEndTime="1206896" autoStartStartTime="1205155">

<serviceTransition name="PlugPlay" endedAt="1205165" firstCheckpointedAt="1205162" startedAt="1205155" container="DcomLaunch svchost (880)" processingTimeDelta="2" firstCheckpointTimeDelta="7" totalTransitionTimeDelta="9" transition="start" group="PlugPlay"/>

[...]

Thanks in advance

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

CreatePrimaryTerminal takes too much time:

//*************************************************************
//
//  CreatePrimaryTerminal()
//
//  Purpose:    Creates the primary terminal
//
//  Parameters: void
//
//  Return:     TRUE if successful
//              FALSE if an error occurs
//
//*************************************************************

CreateTerminal.png

Capture a boot log from Process Monitor and upload this file, too.

Posted Image

littlesantashelper

littlesantashelper
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-October 13

Thanks Andre,

here is the boot log from Process Monitor

https://dl.dropboxus...882/bootlog.zip

EDIT - in the boot log I see many "access denied" errors with custom fonts. I Don't know why but all of those fonts seems to disappear ... I have to reinstall them each time I boot my laptop (but Windows says that they have been already installed ...).

EDIT2 - surfing the web I've found that this problem is due to the fact that I'm installing fonts that are encrypted! http://goo.gl/vR0jLe

Is this causing delay?

EDIT3 - HURRAY! Man, you made my day. Reinstalling decrypted fonts solved my problem. Now boot takes less than one minute.

Thank you very much :) Hope this will save many other human's life :D

Edited by littlesantashelper, 22 October 2013 - 02:27 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

yeah, I also sow those messages. Nice to hear that you fixed it :) Enjoy your fast booting Windows now.

Posted Image

npfd

npfd
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 14-November 13

Hi there,

I need some help with identifying some failed startup issues with Windows 8.1.

I've done lots of formatting, trying out different drivers, uninstalling, but I still get errors like

Kernel Power Errors, Kernel Boot, Previous system shutdown was unexpected... (errors in event viewer).

I've ram'ed bunch of componenets, tested out ram, etc... in touch with Asus... done the SFC check...

I've attached the shutdown, boot, and hibernation, if anyone can have a look at it please.

Thank you and to MagicAndre1981

Attached Files

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

xbootmgr is useful to trace perf issues, not stability issues and boot failures. Create a new topic in the Win8 forum and post some data from the eventlog

Posted Image

Thajjd

Thajjd
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-November 13

Hello there.

I have recently stumbled upon this problem myself and I hope that I could get help with this. I've got a very long boottime and so I did the boot trace. The result showed that the problem lies in the preSMSS phase (bootStart). This is the xml file I generated from the trace:

https://www.dropbox....ummary_boot.xml

I'm not super techsavy so I don't really know what to do from here... replace my chipset AHCI Controller driver?

<phase name="bootStart" startTime="27" endTime="244154" duration="244127">
        <pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_8086+DEV_1E03+SUBSYS_15071043+REV_04\3+11583659+2+FA" type="Device" activity="Start"
                   startTime="282" endTime="240556" duration="240274" prePendTime="240274" description="Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" friendlyName=""/>
        <pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_8086+DEV_1E03+SUBSYS_15071043+REV_04\3+11583659+2+FA" type="Device" activity="Enum"
                   startTime="240557" endTime="242675" duration="2118" prePendTime="2118" description="Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" friendlyName=""/>
        <pnpObject name="SCSI\Disk+Ven_ATA+Prod_Hitachi_HTS54505\4+238af970+0+000000" type="Device" activity="Start"
                   startTime="242705" endTime="243413" duration="707" prePendTime="707" description="Disk drive" friendlyName="Hitachi HTS545050A7E380"/>
        <pnpObject name="ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0" type="Device" activity="Start"
                   startTime="33" endTime="64" duration="31" prePendTime="31" description="Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" friendlyName=""/>
        <pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_8086+DEV_1E12+SUBSYS_15071043+REV_C4\3+11583659+2+E1" type="Device" activity="Start"
                   startTime="225" endTime="255" duration="31" prePendTime="31" description="Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 1E12" friendlyName=""/>
        <pnpObject name="ACPI\PNP0A08\0" type="Device" activity="Enum"
                   startTime="105" endTime="134" duration="28" prePendTime="28" description="PCI Express Root Complex" friendlyName=""/>
        <pnpObject name="PCI\VEN_8086+DEV_1E10+SUBSYS_15071043+REV_C4\3+11583659+2+E0" type="Device" activity="Start"
                   startTime="197" endTime="224" duration="27" prePendTime="27" description="Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1E10" friendlyName=""/>
      </phase>

What to make of this?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Thajjd, 26 November 2013 - 02:25 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

yes update the driver. prePendTime is a driver issue.

Posted Image

Thajjd

Thajjd
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-November 13

According to my Device manager, that driver is allready up-to-date. Got any good reference material that covers how to reinstall drivers like these? And for some reason, I can't find the proper driver for this device in the Intel download center for windows 8!

Thanks!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

don't let Devicemanager search for Updates. Get the latest version from here:

http://downloadcente...ogy (Intel RST)

Posted Image

Thajjd

Thajjd
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 26-November 13

I'm not sure what file to choose! My current driver version is 12.8.0.1016, the latest, how do I reinstall this driver with this version properly? I'm guessing that there is some sort of misconfiguration that is the issue, so my best shot would be to reinstall the same driver?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ok, this is the latest version. Try older version or switch to the Microsoft driver and see if this helps.

Posted Image

trandoanhung1991

trandoanhung1991
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 26-October 13

Hi Andre,

I'm having a problem with slow booting. Here's the XML file.

http://sdrv.ms/18sYsWG

Thanks a bunch!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

PreSMSS is slow with over 41s:

<interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="41503" duration="41503">

I need the ETL file to see more details.

Posted Image

j9900090

j9900090
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-December 13

Hi there,

I have been pointed to post here about my issues, I'm afraid your initial post I found a little confusing. Here is my post:

http://www.msfn.org/...g-time-to-boot/

or I can paste it here:

Hi there,

I apoogise in advance as I did try to follow the tutorial to get the correct log files. If you can Help me please let me know and I can show them to you.

Basically I have windows 8 running fine taking about a minute ish to start up now it takes 10mins or so. Once booted its fine.and runs ok, but this is ridiculous!

To the best of my knowledge I haven't installed anything prior to this happening. I'm unsure if this would be a hardware or software issue so open to suggestions.

I have run an Av and malware and rootkit scan and removed one malware.

I have stopped everything from running on boot except my AV software.

Booting to safe mode is still as slow as ever.

I cannot boot to safe mode as the start up is so slow that nothing happens anymore hitting f8. (can only get there by restarting using msconfig)
I have defragged and optimised both HDDs and run chkdisk.
No warnings in device manager. A few errors in eventlog but nothing major or consistent - I can get them if wanted.
I used SFC /SCANNOW Command which initially failed so I used Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth this appeared to work and then on running sfc /scannow then completed successfully with no errors, but no change in boot speed.

Windows update has been run and all up to date.

I've looked at the reliability monitor and the only thing that is showing as critical events is amd CCC, but have removed all traces of it now as I have an nvidia graphics card now and a couple of windows not shut down properly and photos for example not responding.

Tried, command prompt and type :
wmic
diskdrive get status

shows:

ok

ok

Used seatools and the WD one too - all shows ok (SMART)

I then used system restore to restore the computer to prior to this happening - this completed successfully, but still no change on the boot up speed.

I have used CCleaner to fix broken reg entries.... (no change)

I then downloaded and ran the Windows Assesssment console and have the logs, but am unsure really where to go with them.

Please help! Very annoying!! I have .etl log and also the summary.xml file

Thanks

btw system is:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bootvis, Performance, Boot, slow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users