Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

nLite puzzle

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

poodle78

poodle78

• 11 posts

Here is the BASE need winnt.sif file I use.

Please add your key and try it. (Just to rule out any thing nLite + WinXP 64-wise.

;SetupMgrTag 
[Data] 
    AutoPartition=0 
    MsDosInitiated="0" 
    UnattendedInstall="Yes" 

[Unattended] 
    UnattendMode=DefaultHide 
    OemSkipEula=Yes 
    OemPreinstall=no 
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS 

[UserData] 
    ProductKey=*****_*****_*****_*****_*****
    FullName="" 
    OrgName="" 

[Identification] 
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP 

[Networking] 
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
    msmsgs=off
    msnexplr=off

Dell drivers page. http://www.dell.com/.../us/en/19/Index

Thanks. Didn't work. Same blanks for cd key.

I put my cd key in with hyphens. Should I have used underscores, or does it matter?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,767 posts
hyphens are correct.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,209 posts
http://www.techtalkz...2k3-x86-cd.html

1 - DID YOU put the sample in the CORRECT FOLDER (above applies also to XP, BTW)
2 - (I asked this before...) DID YOU BOOT TO THE CREATED CD? (see my POSTS ABOVE!)

Do NOT tell me this DOES NOT WORK!

I ALSO stated that in order to install via WINNT32.EXE you MUST use the provided parameters (I gave links to the appropriate ones) and (not really sure about this) it MUST BE DONE FROM x64-OS/WinPE (x64 WILL NOT "UPGRADE" FROM x86)!

In addition, IF you use VMWARE, then it MUST be run on an x64 OS AND it must be set up AS an x64 Machine! PERIOD!

Do I REALLY have to load my Dell up to prove it (currently unhooked and loaded with OEM MCE)?

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

poodle78

poodle78

• 11 posts

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-server-2003/41270-unattended-winnt-sif-being-ignored-2k3-x64-cd-install-but-works-2k3-x86-cd.html

1 - DID YOU put the sample in the CORRECT FOLDER (above applies also to XP, BTW)
2 - (I asked this before...) DID YOU BOOT TO THE CREATED CD? (see my POSTS ABOVE!)

Do NOT tell me this DOES NOT WORK!

I ALSO stated that in order to install via WINNT32.EXE you MUST use the provided parameters (I gave links to the appropriate ones) and (not really sure about this) it MUST BE DONE FROM x64-OS/WinPE (x64 WILL NOT "UPGRADE" FROM x86)!

In addition, IF you use VMWARE, then it MUST be run on an x64 OS AND it must be set up AS an x64 Machine! PERIOD!

Do I REALLY have to load my Dell up to prove it (currently unhooked and loaded with OEM MCE)?

I am not now nor have I been mixing x64 with x86. I don't know how I am giving that impression. I thought I had been fairly clear about that. Everything at home is x64. Everything at work is x86. It the x86 that has not worked today. But to be very clear:

My work pc is a Dell Optiplex 620. It is running Windows XP Pro SP3 (x86) that was upgraded via download from a Windows XP Pro SP2 (x86) cd installation. The same cd I used to make the files I tried to slip the cd key into. These are the same files I substituted the WINNT.SIF that was attached above into. The cd key is not showing up when the installation in VMWare player gets to that point.

So, to answer your questions:
1. I haven't been trying it today with x64, so no, or I don't know.
2. I have been booting to the created ISO in VMWare, so no CD actually exists.

I didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it hasn't worked for me yet.

And no, you don't have to load your Dell up and prove it. Better you would load MY Dell up and prove it.

Edited by poodle78, 07 September 2012 - 11:31 AM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,209 posts

I am not now nor have I been mixing x64 with x86. I don't know how I am giving that impression.

I didn't say that.

Everything at home is x64. Everything at work is x86.

I'm fully aware of that (the "slipping" of an SP for EITHER CD was addressed based on that).

It is running Windows XP Pro SP3 (x86) that was upgraded via download from a Windows XP Pro SP2 (x86) cd installation.

You obviously (?) mean (1)Installed the CD-XP-SP2 then installed "WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" onto the Running System.

The same cd I used to make the files I tried to slip the cd key into.

"Make the files"? You mean SlipStream SP3 onto the SP2 CD-Image via nLite (assuming AT WORK on the x86)? That statement makes no sense... I must "assume" you mean the nLite "run" you did with the LastSession, which MAKES NO SENSE since the nLite "run" (LastSession) says the SOURCE was SP3, and NOT an "untouched" SP2 Source. I beleive you were told that you CANNOT NLITE FROM ANYTHING BUT AN UNTOUCHED (ORIGINAL) -OR- one that was MANUALLY SlipStreamed (on HDD - many references on how-to) and NO OTHER ACTIONS.

These are the same files I substituted the WINNT.SIF that was attached above into.

HUH??? How did you get a WINNT.SIF on it? Was that the one you "created"/slipped using nLite from WORK?

I can take that EXACT SAME WINNT.SIF, stick in into I386, burn a BOOTABLE CD/Image, and Install from Boot. The ONLY thing I see different is the quotes (") wrapped around the Key - maybe that's the problem?

One for my daughter (she's running it now) x86 -
Spoiler

edit - P.S. - same thing for VirtualPC (which is what I use) ;)

Edited by submix8c, 07 September 2012 - 11:47 AM.

Posted Image

poodle78

poodle78

• 11 posts
Update from the weekend:

I opened a virtual Windows XP x86 in VMWare player, and brought into it an ISO of Win XP x86 SP2 that I ripped with imgburn in WIndows 7 x64. I installed nLite in the vm, and slipstreamed the cd key into the ISO files, making a new ISO. I installed vmware player in the vm, and I attepted to install the slipstreamed Win XP into a vm inside a vm, bypassing the warning it gave. It did the exact same way every other attempt went...the cd key was not there. On the other hand, everything else was unattended.

So, I copied the slipstreamed ISO to a flash drive, and took it to my Acer Aspire One netbook (running Linux Mint x86), and installed it in virtualbox. At first, it wasn't as promising as the other attempts had been, in that I had to press f8 to accept, C to create a partition, and so on. But after the files copied and the vm rebooted, everything else was unattended and the screen with the cd key did not come up at all.

So I went back to my desktop, dragged out an old Windows 2000 cd and made a slipstreamed ISO out of it. Then I burned it to a cd and installed it in a very old Dell Latitude cp/i laptop. It went the same way as the virtualbox installation had gone at first, but once it rebooted, everything was unattended.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,209 posts
Well, it seems like your "problem" lies in VMWare Player and VirtualBox. Again, I have absolutely no problem in MS' Virtual PC 2007. There must be a "setting" you're failing to use. (VM inside VM? REALLY? Why not a NEW VM?)

BTW, in nLite Unattended, you will have to set the "OemSkipEula=Yes" (the selection is there).
And in the case of the Partition...
Autopartition=0
(also within nLite)

Try looking here (WINNT.SIF Reference). <-Maybe this will clarify your confusion.
Also, did you miss this Sticky? Some nifty Screenshots.

Edited by submix8c, 10 September 2012 - 09:08 AM.

Posted Image

mooms

mooms

Hello world !

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Hello here

nLite can be used in Windows 7.

I use it myself on Win7 64 bits, i just have checked the "Windows XP" compatibility on the nlite executable.

I think the only thing that must be done on XP/2003 is the slipstreaming of a service pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN