nLite "Official\Unofficial" FAQ*

Kelsenellenelvian

For the best nLite-ing experience please casually read through this FAQ as these are the most common issues people have with nLite:

Personal suggestion from Kelsenellenelvian:

I took my source disks along time ago and made "master" iso's of them on my PC.
The only thing I did to them is slipstream the service pack.
This way it only takes a couple of minutes to extract a fresh, clean source.
I suggest for the optimal way to nLite anything you do the following:
Install a bare, clean Windows (XP preferably since you are working in that era) in a virtual machine.
Once that is installed install only .net2 and nLite.
This will ensure that any variables that could be an issue are eliminated.

If you are having issues with Windows after using nLite and have come to ask for help, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance.

When posting the last_session.ini file send the one from the root of your processed OS disk folder or the one on the ISO that you have created, Also the last session file with the "U" on it can contain personal information and should not be shared...

The most important thing to remember with nLite is that you really should not run nLite multiple times on a single source.

Slipstreaming a service pack with nLite in Windows Vista\7 is a no go. If you do the key will not be recognizable. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950722 (Boils down to pidgen.dll file differences)

Using nLite to modify a 64-bit image while running under a 32-bit environment will for the most part fail. (32-bit OS's don't have the capability of handling 64-bit files properly)

As AV and anti-malware applications constantly scan files as they are being accessed you may see a rather large slowdown when nLite is doing its work. Some people have reported cab extraction errors also due to this. If you are having these issues try temporarily disabling malware and antivirus protections as they may conflict with nLite's processing.

The latest (and most likely last) Service Packs for the nLite supported OS's are:

Windows 2K - SP4 - http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=4127 (Unofficial SP5 = http://www.softpedia...icial-SP5.shtml ) &\or ( http://majorgeeks.co...l_SP_d4817.html )

Windows XP 32bit - SP3 - http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=24

Windows XP 64bit - SP2 - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=17791

Windows XP MCE - SP2 - http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=28 (nLite will combine the 2 MCE Cd's into 1 disk)

Windows XP MCE 2005 - Already SP2! (Yes you can SP3 it but only properly on a running installation.)

Windows 2003 - SP2 - http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=41

Windows 2003 64bit - SP2 - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=10018

XP & Service pack integration fact: See post #2 for greater details.
You can & it is a fine idea as it will be a cleaner slipstream go straight from a "Vanilla", "Gold" or "SP0" XP straight to SP3.

The main confusion is that MS says SP1a is "required" for SP3 they are talking about a running system. i.e. If you install a XP SP0 on a computer you cannot go directly to SP3 you have to install SP1a first.

There are many ways to update your disks. These are the most suggested ways:

The 2 biggest issues we have here are the fact that allot of people want to use nLite in a business setting. As we see here:

LICENSE AGREEMENT:

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

• nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.
  • nLite can only be distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.
  • nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.
  • Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.
  • nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.
  • MCDBNET2.dll is registered to the nLite author with the royalty-free license and can be distributed only bundled with nLite.
  • nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in any way or create a new installer for it.

This is forbidden in the license that you agreed to when you install it. At this point in time arguing this is not going to get you anywhere.

nLite website FAQ:

There is also a FAQ over at the nLite website for you to check if you need more information = http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html

Also No warez! Any ISO's of these OS's that were not downloaded from MSDN or TECHNET are illegal!

I will update this as much as is needed to add.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Service Pack slipstreaming and iso\folder size information:
For this tests sake the integrations were done on a fresh VMWare installation.
A base XP\SP3 OS was used and the only things installed are:
VMWare Tools
.Net 2
nLite v1.4.9.3
XP Gold Disk: (Offical msdn .iso)6,491 Files, 134 Folders484 MB (507,949,777 bytes)Resulting .iso size = 492 MB
XP SP1a Disk:6,625 Files, 157 Folders506 MB (530,877,016 Bytes)Resulting .iso size = 511 MB
XP SP1a + SP2b Disk:6,963 Files, 202 Folders588 MB (617,421,723 bytes)Resulting .iso size = 594 MB
XP SP1a + SP2b + SP3 Disk:7,147 Files, 202 Folders618 MB (648,563,296)Resulting .iso size = 624 MB
XP + SP3 Disk:7,116 Files, 179 Folders587 MB (615,677980)Resulting .iso size = 593 MB
So what does this mean?:
A "Step" XP is larger by the following:
31 Files, 23 Folders
31 MB Both iso and folder size.
(All of these are nul files\folders that are not used at all.)
There are no extra entries for the missing\old files because the core files for entries are all replaced and have been "cleaned" by MS (The hive files for registry, inf's, dosnet, sysoc and txtsetup). The only drawback to doing it this way is the fact of all the old junk that was removed\superseeded by the newer service packs is left over in your iso. Anyway this method even "might" be of a benefit would be on a running system as I have heard of a couple of very RARE apps that specifically look for something that would have been in sp1a but isn't in sp3. {That also is part of the reason you cannot take a running system directly from vanilla to sp3, you have to put sp1a in first}

Also you can manually remove allot from your disk pre-nLiteing.

Folders considered safe to delete in your Windows Setup Source are:

My source I did this with was a MSDN XP SP3 .iso

• DOCS, VALUEADD, DOTNETFX and SUPPORT Folders. This will free up 60.9 megs. (DOTNETFX doesn't exist on XP gold. None of these files or folders are used during a standard install)
  • SETUPXP.HTM
  • README.HTM
  • Let's go in further by navigating to the I386 directory with your Windows Setup Source. If you don't plan to use this CD to upgrade from a previous OS, you can delete the following folders:
  • WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG. This will free up 37.7 megs. These 3 folders are only needed is your upgrading or migrating from an older OS.
  • If you have a localized language version of Windows in your own language, then you can also delete the LANG folder. This will free up approximately 99 megs (This may vary) Also these files are so old by now you would be better off getting updated ones.

With all of this removed you clear up 197 megs.

My Bare sp3 disk size without updates? = 386 megs!

SATA mode and driver integrations:

Fixed\cleaned\update drivers for nLite and SATA:

Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers = http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/ NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers = http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/51140-integration-of-nvidias-nforce-raid-and-ahci-drivers/

When adding SATA drivers the most important things to check are:

You have the proper architecture of SATA drivers.

Your TXTSETUP.OEM file is in the same folder as the SATA driver (Sometimes it is in the folder before the actual driver files just move it.)

When you choose the SATA driver in nLite you will get this pop up:

post-6960-0-13802200-1385127596_thumb.pn

You need to select txtmode driver.

• 9 months later...

Two little additions:

the folder WINNTUPG is needed for installing XP from USB .

(Maybe not true for all USB prep utilities, I remember it was the case with WinSetupFromUSB) It weighs only 1 Mega anyway.

WIN9XMIG and WIN9XUPG can be deleted, but be sure to not tick manual install and upgrade in nLite if you plan to install from USB.

nLite works fine in Win7 x64 (you can even use it as portable app) if you launch it with XPsp3 compatibility (or with admin rights), but DO NOT slipstream any XP service pack with Vista/7/8, use only XP host for this. (You can use a VM)

• 4 months later...

There is mention that it is OK to slipstream direct from SP0 to SP3..but in my research and readings in the last few days..after 5 years Windows free living (went Mac) is that some times going direct can cause issues with other apps in future installs of other programs.

I can't give any details, but I am asking if this has ever been proved to be the case or if this was just supposition or a definite issue. It is icer to go direct 0-3 but if it does miss things out, then in stages 0,1,2,3 is the best option.

Yes there has been several years of tests actually.

As seen here:

XP Gold.iso size = 492 megsXP SP1a.iso size = 507 megsXP SP2.iso size = 582 megsXP SP3.iso size = 593 megsXP Gold + SP2.iso size = 576 megsXP Gold + SP3.iso size = 587 megsXP SP1a + SP2.iso size = 594 megsXP SP1a + SP2 + SP3.iso size = 624 megs

You are actually GAINING allot of left over files and crud going from one to another to another.

I have never seen or heard of any mention that not have the sp1, sp1a, sp2, sp2b, sp3 integrated causes any issues.

SP3 Contains everything that the previous sp's had in them when you go from gold to sp3 you don't have alot of extra files left in your disk. (like the driver cab files for sp1 and such.)

I will whip up some comparisons for you to look at with a list of what files would be left.

For this tests sake the integrations were done on a fresh VMWare installation.

A base XP\SP3 OS was used and the only things installed are:

VMWare Tools

.Net 2

nLite v1.4.9.3

XP Gold Disk: (Offical msdn .iso)

6,491 Files, 134 Folders
484 MB (507,949,777 bytes)
Resulting .iso size = 492 MB

XP SP1a Disk:

6,625 Files, 157 Folders
506 MB (530,877,016 Bytes)
Resulting .iso size = 511 MB

XP SP1a + SP2b Disk:

6,963 Files, 202 Folders
588 MB (617,421,723 bytes)
Resulting .iso size = 594 MB

XP SP1a + SP2b + SP3 Disk:

7,147 Files, 202 Folders
618 MB (648,563,296)
Resulting .iso size = 624 MB

XP + SP3 Disk:

7,116 Files, 179 Folders
587 MB (615,677980)
Resulting .iso size = 593 MB

So whats this mean:

A "Step" XP is larger by the following:
31 Files, 23 Folders
31 MB Both iso and folder size.
(All of these are nul files\folders that are not used at all.)

There are no extra entries for the missing\old files because the core files for entries are all replaced and have been "cleaned" by MS (The hive files for registry, inf's, dosnet, sysoc and txtsetup). The only drawback to doing it this way is the fact of all the old junk that was removed\superseeded by the newer service packs is left over in your iso. Anyway this method even "might" be of a benefit would be on a running system as I have heard of a couple of very RARE apps that specifically look for something that would have been in sp2 but isn't in sp3. {That also is part of the reason you cannot take a running system directly from vanilla to sp3, you have to put sp1a in first}

Years of testing is definitely correct. It's been so long that I, like you, can't point to the posts giving details, but it makes no effective difference to the end user which route you take to get there. As long as you end up with SP3, and the many, many updates since then of course, all OS commands, settings and programs will work exactly the same, all software I've ever heard of will install and operate the same, you will have no additional features or capabilities either way. As Kel explained, the difference is that when you go SP1a + SP2 + SP3, or any other path besides XP Gold + SP3 or XP SP3 directly, you end up with leftover files and registry entries that will never be used and serve no other purpose than make your installed OS and registry bigger and more bloated and possibly run infinitesimally slower, besides taking longer to install. Any post you read that said that some other software required you to go SP1a + SP2 + SP3 etc was just plain wrong. Probably because of some other issue they had when trying to do their install and some difference in their methods when they tried the two different approaches. [if you can find a link that says otherwise we might can try and refute it, or find other posts that contradict it.] Or as Kel mentioned above, they were talking about doing this on a running system. I assume, since you placed your question in this subforum and from your question, that you are talking about slipstreaming to create a new install source. It's a waste of time and disc space to do the intermediary steps and only leaves potential for future problems. Don't do it.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks guys.

I am doing this as I have used mac since 2008 plus various ubuntuu distros / FreeNAS/NAS4Free etc etc and only just came back to rebuild my rainwater / fog infected workshop XP machine. have looked at Win 7 / 8 ...no thnaks..going from Win2kpro to XP was bad enough..Win 8 and panels etc..no thanks.

thanks once again for the pointers

I have 5 weeks ' enforced confined to barracks ' due a tendon Op on my hand..so plenty of time to get it right.