Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to expand .in_ file?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
I think I used to use the expand command to get the .sys file from the .sy_ file. Today I cannot get it to work without specifying the output file name. So how do I expand an .in_ file? Is it a .inf or a .ini file? I know 7-zip works just fine but how does W7 do it? Thanks and enjoy, John.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-X-

-X-

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

I use this...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Expand]
"extended"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Expand\command]
@="expand -r \"%1\""

This...
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Expand]
"extended"=""

Makes it so that you have to press shift for the menu item to appear. You can leave it out but then your context menu gets kinda crowded.

To do the reverse....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Makecab]
"extended"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Makecab\command]
@="makecab \"%1\""

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Broken google? :w00t:

See:
http://www.computerh...om/expandhl.htm

The -r switch should work allright, and the -d will give you the info, example (XP):
expand -d usb.in_
Utilit… di espansione file Microsoft (R) Versione 5.1.2600.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1990-1999. Tutti i diritti riservati.

usb.in_: usb.inf

jaclaz

gunsmokingman

gunsmokingman

MSFN Master

• Super Moderator
  • 2,421 posts
  • Joined 02-August 03
I made Vb.Net app that Expands abd Compresses files using MakeCab,
just drag and drop the file on to the app.. You could also put this into the
SendTo Folder to have it work from there.
MakeCabAndExpand

GunSmokingMan

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Thanks, all. All good information. jaclaz, I doubt Google is broken. I found many pages with information and used MS Technet/MSDN. I saw the -r switch but did not understand that it would do what I wanted and do not remember using it in XP. Why does the command description not say "Rename output file to original name"? Also the command description says the -r switch is only valid when the file is compressed with the -r switch. I assumed (erroneously) that it wanted a name (supplied my me) and that was what I was trying to avoid. Most of the pages specifically said to rename the output file in the command line. I assume when Windows expands files (such as drivers) this is the method used. Thanks much and enjoy, John.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,379 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Methinks you misunderstand -

COMPRESS [-r] [-d] [-z] Source Destination
COMPRESS -r [-d] [-z] Source [Destination]
-r Rename compressed files.

The link doesn't explicitly say that but...

edit - found in various Resource Kits (as well as old DOS).
Article with link to 2K3 RK...

Edited by submix8c, 09 September 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Different versions have different syntax. The one you most likely have is in WinXP normally in the \i386 folder and has this /? help ...

Spoiler

As well as using the command line, there are a few other ways to accomplish this.

For example, if you happen to have WinRar, you can just drop them into an open WinRar window to see what's 'inside' and 'extract' ( expand ) it if you wish.

You can create a context menu EXPAND item as X described.

My current favorite alternative is assigning all those compressed cabinet extensions to something like WinRar. Unfortunately there is no wildcard allowed ( e.g., .??_ or .*_ ) so each individual extension would need to be associated with the main class. At last count I had 114 extensions.

My current list of compressed cabinet archive extensions ...

Spoiler

Anyway, I created a new main class called: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\_MsCab] with all the subkeys needed to execute WinRar when one of those extensions are opened. So if you doubleclick one, like I mentioned above it opens in a WinRar window like a ZIP or RAR might ( obviously an illusion since they are not archives ). But it is good because I get to see the original file name/date/time/size in the WinRar window and then decide whether to 'extract' ( actually 'expand' ) the file or not. Never did get the dragdrop handler working though. :angry: That is the gold ring I think, being able to dragdrop and expand multiple files. Another benefit is that since they are associated, in a file manager window they get assigned a proper icon and description.

Obligatory Rant: Microsoft COMPRESS/EXPAND has been a royal PITA since, well, almost forever. Many different incompatible versions, differing syntax and only a few with identifiable signatures to determine which one can be used to decompress a given file. So it was almost always trial and error to get them expanded ( not with WinXP as in your case, but in previous years ). The dumbest idea ever was an /i386 folder with almost 6,000 compressed *.*_ files in a single directory. Yes, some minor amount of disk space is saved in total for larger files but it is eaten away by the numerous files with slack that were originally below or compressed below the minimum file size using 4KB clusters ( yeah I know NTFS has an MFT exception for really small files but that is only ~700 of the 6,000 ) . For some reason they simply refused to incorporate a monolithic archive strategy, that is until much later when they came to their senses and used the WIM idea which they could have done all along with ARC or ZIP or RAR or others.

EDIT: arrghh! I thought this was in the WinXP forum. Strike those "WinXP" references. :lol:

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 10 September 2012 - 09:26 AM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,379 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

EDIT: arrghh! I thought this was in the WinXP forum. Strike those "WinXP" references. :lol:

Don't think it matters much...
http://technet.micro...9(v=ws.10).aspx
"The song remains the same". ;)

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Well, I was replying (mainly) to this question:

Is it a .inf or a .ini file?

The part that IMHO is not clear at all in the syntax is that the -d switch will normally work also for "single" files (and not "only" for "multifile" .cab or whatever).

jaclaz

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Thanks again, all. I am not sure what I misunderstood except how the -r switch works on the Expand command. My system (W7 x64) does not have a COMPRESS command. What I was trying to understand was how Windows expands driver files of the form .xx_. I ran into a problem with the Catalyst video driver files using some compression technique that Windows did not understand and I could not inject the driver into W7 install image. Thanks for all the suggestions and references - all good. Enjoy, John.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

Is it a .inf or a .ini file?

johnhc,

What is the source of this file? Is it of recent vintage? If it is, it will likely be using the cabinet format since about WinXP, and the original filename will be encoded.

Do you have WinRar installed? If you do, all you have to do is open WinRar and then drag and drop the xyz.in_ into the GUI. The GUI then changes to the 'contents' of this xyz.in_ file, and if it is a recent MsCab you will see the real filename and other details. From here you can extract it also. NB: this file is not an archive, it just looks that way. Don't try to add files to it!

Examples from WinXP(sp3) found in the \i386 folder dropped into a WinRar window ...

-- Information on Disk --- Information shown when dropped into WinRar GUI
FILENAME ........ SIZE --- FILENAME ........ SIZE .... PACKED .... DATE
Adcjavas.in_ ..... 387 --- adcjavas.inc ..... 629 ...... ? .... 2008-04-13
Adm_Mult.in_ ..... 879 --- adm_mult.inf ... 2,620 ...... ? .... 2001-08-17
System.in_ ....... 319 --- system.ini ....... 219 ...... ? .... 2001-07-21

Perhaps you have 7-zip instead. It can do much the same. However there are quirky differences in it's GUI compared to WinRar. Forget about drag/drop into 7-zip ( unless there is some setting I missed ). You can however just open the GUI and go to the folder with the files and right-click one and select 'Open Inside'. Now you will see the same information with one difference, it will show the packing method.

-- Information on Disk --- Information shown by 'Open Inside' the 7-zip GUI
FILENAME ........ SIZE --- FILENAME ........ SIZE ... METHOD ..... DATE
Adcjavas.in_ ..... 387 --- adcjavas.inc ..... 629 ... LZX:21 .. 2008-04-13
Adm_Mult.in_ ..... 879 --- adm_mult.inf ... 2,620 ... LZX:21 .. 2001-08-17
System.in_ ....... 319 --- system.ini ....... 219 ... LZX:21 .. 2001-07-21

NB: In 7-zip don't double-click the file or right-click it and select 'Open' even though they are functionally equivalent at this step. IMHO you should never execute a file 'inside' an archive because generally that means to extract it to temp and then run it according to system file associations. This is a dangerous practice. 7-zip GUI seems to have 'Open' ( execute outside ) rather than 'Open Inside' ( view inside ) as the default for double-click in most circumstances so I play it safe and then right-click and select the 'Open Inside' choice.

EDIT: clarity, typos

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 10 September 2012 - 06:31 PM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,379 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
"COMPRESS.EXE" doesn't exist (AFAIK) on any OS by Default. You need to get the Resource Kit Tools. A search reveals that the latest one is from the Server 2K3 (link I gave). I might (wrongly) assume that it may work on Win7/2K8 x86/x64. However, I found this which indicates the Tools do indeed work.

Catalyst Drivers Packages are InstallShield "packed" with NSIS AFAIK. Different beast. Yours?

Here is an interesting notation by Trip on "including" an EXE (undoubtedly how the Drivers are downloaded).

edit - You can use Universal Extractor to "unpack" it, then you have to use it AGAIN to get the DATA1.CAB unpacked (provided the NEWEST InstallShield wasn't used) inside the Driver folder AND use the appropriate INF's from (maybe) a DIFFERENT folder. This is ONLY the Drivers and NOT the CCC... At least this is how it's done with an OLDER version of Catalyst (+CCC).
From AMD link above -

Package contains...
Display Driver
OpenCL™ Driver
AMD Integrated Driver
Catalyst Control Center

"Combo" Packages...

Edited by submix8c, 10 September 2012 - 09:48 AM.

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
The Catalyst drivers are different! You should have said that you want to unpack them in the very beginning of the topic!

I've got no time now to explain more but there are several packed files there, like *.*_ and if you unpack them using "expand -r" they will still unpack to *.*_ !!! After unpacking you need to rename them manually, ex. .dl_ should become .dll, etc..

post-47483-1123010975.png

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
The usual couple of loosely - but not much - related links:
http://www.msfn.org/...compress-files/
http://www.msfn.org/...etc/page__st__8

jaclaz

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
I asked a simple question:

I know 7-zip works just fine but how does W7 do it?

I solved the Catalyst problem (not injectable via DISM) some time ago with a small script file (roots found on MSFN) and an important hint from a thread on the AMD forum. The hint was that 7-zip (v9.20) would extract the .xx_ files in the Catalyst drivers. My small script used 7-zip to extract all files and makecab to compress them again. Injection works fine and driver works fine. When I processed a new driver, 12.8, I was surprised that my output files when extracted by expand command still had the .xx_ name. Thus my post. I still suspect that XP expand does not need the -r switch and thus my error. Now it seems the latest Catalyst drivers no longer use the strange compression and they inject without my running the script against them - still trying to figure out how to test them. Thanks to all. I learned a lot and this is always good. Enjoy, John.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

When I processed a new driver, 12.8, I was surprised that my output files when extracted by expand command still had the .xx_ name. Thus my post. I still suspect that XP expand does not need the -r switch and thus my error. Now it seems the latest Catalyst drivers no longer use the strange compression and they inject without my running the script against them - still trying to figure out how to test them. Thanks to all. I learned a lot and this is always good. Enjoy, John.

It is possible that this applies :unsure: :
http://www.computerh...om/expandhl.htm

Automatically rename expanded files. Only valid for files compressed with -r switch.

Would it be possible that those files are actually compressed with COMPRESS.EXE but without the -r switch?

Since I presume that the whole lot of Catalyst files is huge, could you post just a single (smallish) .in_ file (inside a .zip archive) so that I can have a look at the binary?

jaclaz

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08

Since I presume that the whole lot of Catalyst files is huge, could you post just a single (smallish) .in_ file (inside a .zip archive) so that I can have a look at the binary?

I have none of the older Catalyst files and the 12.8 has no .in_ files in it. Attached is a driver (7-Zipped). Using expand with the -r switch extracts and restores the original file name. I infer that the file was compressed with the -r switch. Enjoy, John.

Attached Files

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I have none of the older Catalyst files and the 12.8 has no .in_ files in it. Attached is a driver (7-Zipped). Using expand with the -r switch extracts and restores the original file name. I infer that the file was compressed with the -r switch. Enjoy, John.

Well, this doesn't "count". :w00t:
I am still after the specific .in_ file about which you startefd the thread (or any similarly behaving file).

I mean, if the file attached is renamed correctly with the -r switch of EXPAND.EXE, yes, it means that it was compressed with the -r option with COMPRESS.EXE or other equivalent tool.
I have plenty of files that are actually renamed properly with the -r switch of EXPAND, I was looking for one that DID NOT behave like that.

Possibly tomasz86 will be so kind as to provide one. :)

jaclaz

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
Sorry, jaclaz, did not know what you were looking for. I DLed a couple of old Catalyst drivers and cannot find a .xx_ file that does not yield the correct name when 'expand -r' is used. What I do not know is if the older drivers will inject. If it is really important to you, I'll see if I can find the AMD forum thread to determine the exact driver version I had a problem with. I cannot say with absolute conviction that it was the name problem that kept the driver from injecting. I can only say when I used 7-Zip (v9.20) to extract the files, I could inject them. Enjoy, John.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

Possibly tomasz86 will be so kind as to provide one. :)

Oops... I confused AMD and nVIDIA drivers :blushing:

It's nVIDIA drivers that behave like that. Download 301.42-desktop-winxp-32bit-international-whql.exe, run the installer and unpack it, go to Display.Driver and try to unpack the *.*_ files using "expand -r". The filenames won't be correct after doing so. On the other hand, 7-Zip can extract them correctly.

1. Original files:

nv4_disp.dl_
nv4_mini.sy_
nvapi.dl_
nvcompiler.dl_
nvcuda.dl_
nvcuvenc.dl_
nvcuvid.dl_
nvdrsdb.bi_
nvoglnt.dl_
nvuninst.ba_
OpenCL.dl_

2. After unpacking with 7-Zip:

nv4_disp.dll
nv4_mini.sys
nvapi.dll
nvcompiler.dll
nvcuda.dll
nvcuvenc.dll
nvcuvid.dll
nvdrsdb
nvoglnt.dll
nvuninst
OpenCL.dll

1. After using "expand -r *.*_"

nv4_disp.dl
nv4_mini.sy
nvapi.dl
nvcompiler.dl
nvcuda.dl
nvcuvenc.dl
nvcuvid.dl
nvdrsdb.bi
nvoglnt.dl
nvuninst.ba
opencl.dl

post-47483-1123010975.png

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
jaclaz, attached are all three versions of two files from tomasz86's nVidia driver. The xx_ is the original, the xx file is the "Expand -r" and the last is the 7-zip extracted. One 7-zip extracted with no extension (nvuninst). Enjoy, John.

EDIT: tomasz86, have you tried to inject this nVidia driver into an image - results?

Attached Files

• Attached File  What.7z   67.88KB   3 downloads

Edited by johnhc, 10 September 2012 - 03:38 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Good. :)
Strangely enough ;) the posted semi-random links had some merits. :whistle:

The "normal" files compressed with compress have the MSCF header (MicroSoft Cabinet File?).
The ones in What.7z have the SZDD one. <- this is the "older" format.
See also:
http://www.msfn.org/...-szdd-archives/

The EXPAND in XP seemingly cannot get the actual "full name" on the proposed files.
But 7-zip can see the "full name/extension" of one (OpenCL.dl_ ->OpenCL.dll) but not of the other (nvuninst.ba_->nvuninst).
The expanded nvuninst is clearly a .bat or .cmd file.
Most probably the nVIDIA installer keeps "somewhere" a list of "original names".

I can reproduce the compressed archives using the version 2.00 (1992) of COMPRESS.EXE, using the -r switch with OpenCL.dll, and NOT using the -r switch with nvuninst.bat).

If i compare the results of:
COMPRESS.EXE nvuninst.bat nvuninst.ba_ <- this is identical to the original file
with
COMPRESS.EXE -r nvuninst.bat
the only difference between them is byte @0x09 which in the first is 00, whilst in the second is 74 (please read as "t"), which is allright:
http://www.cabextract.org.uk/
http://www.cabextrac...waj_format.html

It is very possible that later versions of COMPRESS.EXE do exist that allow to have the same results, but it would be strange since the new, "approved" header is MSCF since at least Win 95 times, even diamond.exe uses this format, so it's queer that the good nVidia guys used such an old compressor :unsure: .

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 11 September 2012 - 02:52 AM.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
jaclaz, I agree this is really strange. I do not understand why a vendor would release SW that uses some 'different' compression technique that the average user (even enthusiast) cannot extract. It looks like AMD has quit but not nVidia. They may have a name list or their own internal extractor SW. The latter is my suspicion. Thanks for all the work, adding to my knowledge base. Enjoy, John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users