XP CD with integrated SATA drivers FAILS to install

surfing69

I am trying to upgrade a 7 year old IDE based system that is running XP home to a SATA 2/3 based system – still running XP Home.

All my old components i.e. ODD’s and HDD’s are IDE.

The new Asrock mobo has ONLY SATA 2/3 connectors and (as with most new mobos) is without a floppy disk controller.

To enable me to use my old IDE ODD’s and HDD’s I decided to get a PCIe 2xIDE controller card – http://uk.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/2-Port-SATA-II-and-2-Port-IDE-PCI-Express-Controller-Card~PEXSAT2IDE2 (with its own driver CD) which is inserted into the new mobo. At this point only ONE of my ODD’s is attached to the PCIe card. My intention is to boot the XP CD-ROM from this ODD.

I also got a new SATA 3 HDD to install a fresh copy of XP Home ed.

According to the Asrock manual, before I can install XP in AHCI mode I need to create a driver diskette. However as there is NO floppy disk controller on the new mobo, I couldn’t create a driver diskette.

When I contacted Asrock they advised that I could still install XP without creating a floppy diskette by going into BIOS and changing the SATA settings from AHCI to IDE. I did this but when I tried to install XP, I got the BSOD code 0x7B stop error when the process got to the point ‘starting windows’.

I was then asked by Asrock if my CD was AHCI or IDE. When I checked in BIOS, I found that the IDE CD and therefore the PCIe card it was attached to was in AHCI mode. However unlike for the SATA drives, the IDE mode was NOT available. If I cannot change the CD/ PCIe card to IDE mode, it always reads as AHCI and therefore I suspect that it is the PCIe card that is the cause of the BSOD code 0x7B stop error because it is running in AHCI mode and NOT IDE.

Asrock then suggested that I could use nLite to create a custom XP CD with the SATA drivers integrated into it.

When I created a CD with XP and the SATA HDD drivers integrated into it and tried to install XP, I still get BSOD code 0x7B stop error.

No of questions:

1. will I need to integrate the drivers for the PCIe card in addition to the SATA drivers for the SATA HDD with the custom XP CD?

2. if I have successfully integrated the drivers within the custom XP CD, what should I expect to see when I try and install XP? At the moment I am still seeing ‘Press F6 to load third party drivers’ when I start the install and when I do press F6, the installation is asking me to insert a diskette or quit or continue. When I press continue I get BSOD code 0x7B stop error.

I am think that maybe the easiest route might be to purchase a SATA ODD and try and load XP in IDE mode and then try and set the SATA HDD to AHCI mode???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The new Asrock mobo

Which mobo do you use?

To enable me to use my old IDE ODD’s and HDD’s I decided to get a PCIe 2xIDE controller card

There are IDE SATA adapters too. This approach uses chipset drivers.

ONE of my ODD’s is attached to the PCIe card

1. will I need to integrate the drivers for the PCIe card in addition to the SATA drivers for the SATA HDD with the custom XP CD?

Yes, you have to integrate drivers relating your boot media. That's the PCIe card in that case

2. if I have successfully integrated the drivers within the custom XP CD, what should I expect to see when I try and install XP?

Yes, this should work.

I am think that maybe the easiest route might be to purchase a SATA ODD and try and load XP in IDE mode and then try and set the SATA HDD to AHCI mode???

It's possible to switch IDE mode to AHCI mode, however you have to provide details first.

There is install from a USB stick too. Can be tricky too.

Integrate PCIe card drivers first and try installation.

Edited by cdob

1) Yes you need to integrate the drivers of the both controller or use another support like an usb device to install XP from it.

2) No you don't need to press F6.

As in the past, i sometimes had problem integrating mass storage driver with nlite, i'd recommend to use (or to check with) this tutorial.

thank you for your contributions.

However I am a bit of an nLite novice and will probably need a simple step by step approach. Should I integrate the drivers for the PCIe card first and then the SATA drivers before burning the CD? And can I use a RW CD? I have already wasted about 5 CD's in my failed attempts to load XP.

The mobo is an Asrock H61DE/S3 . I am very unhappy with Asrock for advertising the mobo as being suitable for XP but not providing the means i.e. floppy disk controller to be be able to install it. The manual for the mobo states "" Please use USB floppy or floppy disk". However despite requesting from Asrock what 'USB Floppy' in this phrase actually means, i.e. is it an external USB floppy disk drive or a USB pen drive? - they have failed to respond.

I really dont understand how this mobo is being sold as XP compatible when it doesnt have the means to install this OS on a SATA HDD.

With regards to using a SATA ODD I was hoping that it would have the option to toggle between AHCI and IDE in BIOS. I dont currently have an IDE option for the PCIe card - it is locked in AHCI mode. I dont have a SATA ODD so I dont know if this will work.

And even if I were to install XP using a SATA ODD in IDE mode, I will then, according to Asrock, have to fiddle again to change to mode from IDE to AHCI. Unbelievable.

I am struggling and feel a bit out of my depth.

Semi -random thought (particularly directed @cdob :thumbup ):

Wouldn't a grub4dos emulated F6 floppy do (and possibly be a little easier)? :unsure:

And/or, instead of initiating from CD, maybe an install from USB with either of these approaches:

@surfing69

Usually you need a "real" USB floppy, and it can also be an issue (depending on the actual floppy drive) see:

Generally speaking (and IMHO), integrating the DriversPack Mass Storage drivers:

http://driverpacks.net/

is easier that using nlite

If you have an "expendable" (in the sense of losing the data on it as it will be re-partitioned/re-formatted) USB stick, you could, after having integrated the DriversPack, try with the "generic" WinsetupFromUSB tool here:

and should it not work for any reason, we have still the more "manual" ways by cdob before mentioned .

jaclaz

Should I integrate the drivers for the PCIe card first and then the SATA drivers before burning the CD?

Integrate both drivers.

And can I use a RW CD?
A reliable CD-RW is fine.

Use a reliable ODD and burn application too. A new SATA drive may be nice...

The mobo is an Asrock H61DE/S3 . I am very unhappy with Asrock for advertising the mobo as being suitable for XP but not providing the means i.e. floppy disk controller to be be able to install it. The manual for the mobo states "" Please use USB floppy or floppy disk". However despite requesting from Asrock what 'USB Floppy' in this phrase actually means, i.e. is it an external USB floppy disk drive or a USB pen drive?

It's XP restrictions.

It's a USB floppy drive supported by XP. Be aware: XP support only basic floppy drives out of the box.

Super floppy drives requires a patch

With regards to using a SATA ODD I was hoping that it would have the option to toggle between AHCI and IDE in BIOS. I dont currently have an IDE option for the PCIe card - it is locked in AHCI mode.

There are two mass storage controllers http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Specifications&Model=H61DE/S3

A Intel chipset and a ASMedia.

Connect a SATA ODD and SATA HDD to ASMedia ports at mobo. Use ASMedia IDE mode and Intel AHCI mode.

Install a default XP (without drivers added). Finish XP installation: install e.g. Intle AHCI drivers.

Shot down machine.

Connect a SATA ODD and SATA HDD to Intel ports at mobo.

Boot.

XP uses Intel AHCI drivers now.

Use a reliable ODD and burn application too. A new SATA drive may be nice...

Are you referring to a new SATA ODD or HDD?

It's XP restrictions.

It's a USB floppy drive supported by XP. Be aware: XP support only basic floppy drives out of the box.

Super floppy drives requires a patch

wow - this is beyond and above my head ! :-)

There are two mass storage controllers http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Specifications&Model=H61DE/S3

A Intel chipset and a ASMedia.

Again - this is a bit beyond my expertise - Asrock's latest email states

"The driver for blue ports is in below folder: "D:\Drivers\Serial ATA For Floppy Disk\Intel\1.0.1.0.1008_PV\"

And the driver for white ports is in "D:\Drivers\Serial ATA For Floppy Disk\ASMedia\1.1.7.110G\"

Please choose textmode."

Connect a SATA ODD and SATA HDD to ASMedia ports at mobo. Use ASMedia IDE mode and Intel AHCI mode.

Install a default XP (without drivers added). Finish XP installation: install e.g. Intle AHCI drivers.

Shot down machine.

Connect a SATA ODD and SATA HDD to Intel ports at mobo.

Boot.

XP uses Intel AHCI drivers now.

This would mean purchasing a new SATA ODD instead of using my old IDE ODD which would have been connected to the Sata/ide PCIe card?????

Would you recommend going down the route of buying a new SATA ODD rather than buying an off the shelf USB floppy drive ?

I hoped to complete the OS install without buying another ODD - I already have 2 perfectly good IDE ODD's which I hoped would do the job for me via the PCIe card. Again, the purchase of the card resulted from recommendations from PC supply shops. I did tell them what I was trying to do - did they offer me bad advice?

As for the advice from Jaclaz - this is way above my head. As I stated in my previous message, I require someione to hold my hand and guide me through the process with clear and SIMPLE instructions.

Semi -random thought (particularly directed @cdob :thumbup ):

Wouldn't a grub4dos emulated F6 floppy do (and possibly be a little easier)? :unsure:

And/or, instead of initiating from CD, maybe an install from USB with either of these approaches:

@surfing69

Usually you need a "real" USB floppy, and it can also be an issue (depending on the actual floppy drive) see:

Generally speaking (and IMHO), integrating the DriversPack Mass Storage drivers:

http://driverpacks.net/

is easier that using nlite

If you have an "expendable" (in the sense of losing the data on it as it will be re-partitioned/re-formatted) USB stick, you could, after having integrated the DriversPack, try with the "generic" WinsetupFromUSB tool here:

and should it not work for any reason, we have still the more "manual" ways by cdob before mentioned .

jaclaz

thank you for your advice and your time which is appreciated - however having looked at the various links, i think that it would be easier for me to teach myself mandarin! :-) This is way over my head and as I explained to cdob if help is given I will need someone to hold my hand and walk me thru the process in simple, digestible steps.

Edited by surfing69

Again - this is a bit beyond my expertise - Asrock's latest email states

"The driver for blue ports is in below folder: "D:\Drivers\Serial ATA For Floppy Disk\Intel\1.0.1.0.1008_PV\"

And the driver for white ports is in "D:\Drivers\Serial ATA For Floppy Disk\ASMedia\1.1.7.110G\"

Read the manual too. SATA port locations are described.

This would mean purchasing a new SATA ODD instead of using my old IDE ODD which would have been connected to the Sata/ide PCIe card?????

Yes, this relates to your previous question: Use a default XP CD and purchase a SATA ODD.

Would you recommend going down the route of buying a new SATA ODD rather than buying an off the shelf USB floppy drive ?

Use a USB floppy drive, if you can get a old one for free. Do not buy a new one.

Which old IDE ODD drives do you use? Any special hardware? C1 error reading?

I hoped to complete the OS install without buying another ODD - I already have 2 perfectly good IDE ODD's which I hoped would do the job for me via the PCIe card. Again, the purchase of the card resulted from recommendations from PC supply shops.

Well compare prices yourself. A new SATA burner is about £15.

A old IDE HDD reminds to a lot of noise. I would prefer a new HDD, less noise.

clear and SIMPLE instructions.

Buy a SATA ODD.

Use a USB floppy drive, if you can get a old one for free. Do not buy a new one.

what about this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320955739340#ht_1466wt_1059 ?

Which old IDE ODD drives do you use? Any special hardware? C1 error reading?
i have 2 x sony optiarcs - firmware fully updated.

[

old IDE HDD reminds to a lot of noise. I would prefer a new HDD, less noise.

i have 2 old IDE HDD's as backup and 1x old SATA 1 which has my current XP installed on it - i purchased a WD SATA3 HDD to install XP onto with the new mobo.

clear and SIMPLE instructions.

Buy a SATA ODD.

guess i will have to dig deep to find the pennies

what about this one

May work as for XP F6 drivers, or may fail too. At current information: a waste of money

i have 2 x sony optiarcs
Which ones do you have? Name the model.
i have 2 old IDE HDD's as backup
Which ones do you have? Name the model.

Return the PCIe controller.

Purchase a USB IDE adapter, connect the old IDE HDD's to backup data.

And disconnect the USB IDE drive after backup.

Get money back:

Return the PCIe controller.

Use the same USB IDE adapter, connect the IDE ODD to USB.

Connect the new SATA HDD to a port at IDE mode.

Install XP from USB ODD. Finish XP installation, add missing drivers.

Switch then new SATA HDD to a port at AHCI mode.

Or dig out that old 1gig USB stick you bought 6 years ago and (forget about teaching yourself mandarin) try any method of installing XP from USB. Jaclaz already provided few links, here is a related step by step/video tutorial. The set of install file (here resulting in an ISO) would still have to be previously processed to include your mobo's SATA text drivers.

@ surfing69:

According to my knowledge you will have the best chances to get Windows XP installed in AHCI mode, if you do it the simpliest way.

If I understood your posts correctly, you want to install XP onto your new SATA3 HDD. So I assume, that this HDD will be connected to one of the white ASMedia 106x SATA3 ports of your ASRock mainboard.

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Download the latest 32bit ASMedia 106x AHCI driver from >here< and unzip it into a separate folder (not on the desktop!).
  2. Copy the content of your original (= untouched) XP CD with integrated SP2 or SP3 into any separate folder (example: C:\XPCD).
  3. Run nLite, don't load any INI of a previous nLite processing and let nLite do just the following tasks:
    • integration of the Service Pack 3 (if not already included in your XP CD)
    • integation of the just downloaded 32bit ASMedia textmode driver (don't use the multiple driver integration option)
    • creation of the ISO file

[*]Create a bootable CD or USB stick containing the just built XP image with integrated AHCI driver.

[*]Remove ore unplug all mass storage drives except the SATA3 HDD.

[*]Boot off the media (CD or USB flash drive) with the XP image.

[*]Install Windows XP. Don't hit F6 when prompted!

[*]Once XP is up, you can reconnect all other drives and install the appropriate drivers.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

however having looked at the various links, i think that it would be easier for me to teach myself mandarin! :-)

If you go to China, you need to either learn some mandarin or pay for an interpreter.

If you want to do an "unusual" install on "unusual" hardware (let's call this "advanced") you will need to either learn a few tricks of the trade or buy the suggested hardware, or pay for a PC technician... :whistle:

Seriously the idea of both the driverspack and of the WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI (and similar fully automated or semi-automated tools) is EXACTLY to allow this kind of installs to the "average Joe", or however we are talking of tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands by now) "normal" people that used successfully these tools.

A number of members will try and help you if you have issues, but you shouldn't be afraid to dirty your hands....

...and of course the real fun is doing it by hand, why in my day ....;)

http://tinyapps.org/blog/misc/200702250700_why_in_my_day.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Seriously the idea of both the driverspack and of the WinSetupFromUSBwithGUI (and similar fully automated or semi-automated tools) is EXACTLY to allow this kind of installs to the "average Joe", or however we are talking of tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands by now) "normal" people that used successfully these tools.

I think that I must lie at the extreme LHS of the distribution curve for your definition of 'average joe' in this context. I am a chemist by trade and I have to wonder where you would sit on the 'Average joe' curve if I questioned the extent of your knowledge of my idea of colloquial chemistry .

A number of members will try and help you if you have issues, but you shouldn't be afraid to dirty your hands....

I am never afraid to 'dirty my hands' provided that on balance i have a reasonable idea of what I am supposed to be doing - otherwise it would be a complete waste of my time and resources which would be better spent paying a 'pc tech'.

I really get quite frustrated with people giving, in my opinion, 'advanced' advice and then feeling a bit miffed if I cannot understand it. I point you to the maxim 'its always easy when you know how'

Surfing69