Windows 98 installation with updated drivers

Steven W

Hi all,

When I was attempting to install Win98 SE on my old eMachines PC, I had some updated drivers for it. I got them to install in safe-mode, but I once ran setup.exe from the CD, right over top of what was already installed. The OS seemed to "find" those same drivers. I'm curious if there is a directory where I can dump the extracted drivers and they would just install with the OS installation, specifically after copying the install CD to a directory on the hard drive. I did try to dig some for an answer to this and ran across an old post from Gape that mentions hot-fixes can be dumped directly into the same directory as you copy the installation to, but I did not see anything about drivers. Does anyone know? Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Edited by Steven W

I believe that if you copy the drivers to the same folder as SETUP & the .CAB files, then the installation will find and use the drivers.

This is how it works for updated HotFix files (ones outside the .CAB's will be used instead of those inside) but I've never tested it with drivers. :unsure:

Referring to MSBATCH.INF and Driver Folders?

The trick is getting the drivers (in this case) to the HDD. This was done using a BAT file invoked from a specialized CD Boot Image.

You'll have to figure it out from here...

edit - LoneCrusader's method MIGHT work...

MSBATCH.zip

Edited by submix8c