How do I exit nLite and edit the answers file (winnt.sif) to ensure th

william7

How do I exit nLite and edit the answers file (winnt.sif) to ensure that I'm not prompted for partition size when running the unattended disk later ? Apparently nLite doesn't allow you to do this from the software, so you have to do it manually. Can anybody show me how this is done or where I can get the necessary info?

Thanks! This was very useful information. I see right where to go to edit the file. Is there anyway possible you could show me a copy of how you edited such a file? My instructor wants us to make a full unattended install where we just boot the disk and walk away. I now have a good idea how to do this, but need to see an actual example of how this was accomplished.

The teacher already knows I'm here seeking information for the nlite assignment. I told him the other day I joined this forum and I've mentioned it in the pre-lab paper I'm required to submit. He wants us to go out and gather information on our own instead of relying on him for instruction. This is how it works in the real world he says. Can anybody show me that example of an nlite answer file?

Edited by william7

Why don't you create one with nLite? Just fill in some values and you will have an example.

Another way is to extract <CD>\SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB and run the setup manager. There is also a UNATTEND.TXT in your i386 folder. You can even Google "sample winnt.sif"

P.S. Tell your teacher that he shouldn't be teaching future techs to use nLite since it's not for corporate use. Personal use only on your home computer(s).

Edited by -X-

Thanks! That's a big help. You're showing me how I should be doing my research which is part of the assignment.

I did try editing the Winnt.sif file like shown at http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/19/. However, it stopped and required me to delete the partition and set up Windows on the new partition manually. Everything else worked unattended accept for the partitioning. What could I be doing wrong? This is why I would like to see somebodies successful answer file. I'm sure I could spot my mistake right off.

Edited by william7

Well, you'd better learn how UNATTENDED works first.

A smidgen of help here here.

On the XP CD in the Support\Tools folder is DEPLOY.CAB which contains "SETUPMGR.EXE" and great REF.CHM (help file). You can run the SETUP.EXE in that folder to install any/all necessary tools. At the LEAST extract REF.CHM and look it over. Check it out... ;)

BTW, the UNATTENDED link you got naturally assumes you know some about it (much info about WINNT.SIF was from the REF).