It seems like everyone, before or later has written a tool to preview fonts.
The tool I am looking for should have the following characteristics:
- be able to run on XP
- allow comparison preview of NON-installed fonts (like - example - fonts in a given directory or set of font files manually added to a list or from a pre-made list)
- allow a custom text to be used for the preview
- NOT needing/using .Net
- possibly (but not vital) needing NO install
- Freeware (yes, I am cheap)
To try and explain better what I am after, what I did in the past with my dinosaurish approach (and still do for lack of a better method/tool) is/was:
- install all fonts
- open a spreadsheet
- type the string i want in a cell
- copy the cell down n times
- type in the near colums the font name and the actual filename of the font file
- apply to each cell of the first column the correspondign font formatting
- insert a column on the left
- insert in cells in this leftmost column ordering numbers (from a visual comparison)
- re-order the whole set along the order number
- loop to #8 until I find a set of thre or four "similar enough" fonts to make further experiments
- finally choose the "right" font among the few selected with the above procedure
If anyone knows of some tools capable of doing something *like* the above in a simpler way, I would be very thankful for any suggestion, as well if there is a completely different approach leading to the same final result, I am all ears.
Edited by jaclaz, 16 September 2012 - 04:48 AM.