Need Help Loading XP PRO into laptop

AlfromMd

Hi Folks,

My name is Al, I'm new here and was referred by a friend.

I have a Dell Latitude D830 laptop which I purchased used about 2 years ago. It was then loaded with Windows XP PRO. About 2 months ago I ran my regular defrag and the results were to the effect of: System32/DLLsomethingorother - Windows crashed. I did not have XP on a back up disc and my only solution (without purchasing Windows 7) was to find another copy of XP with a valid key - I did.

I was unsure of how to completely erase my old hard drive - which I suspect has some nasties in it so I purchased a new WD Scorpio Blue Internal Hard Drive.

Upon attempting to install XP. I am now faced with the following issue: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (OXC0000005, 0XF76130BF, 0XF7A5F208, 0XF7A5EF080

*** pci.sys - Address F76130BF base at F760C000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

My question here is this: I am not tech savvy at all. Is there somewhere that will show me step by step instructions on how to remedy this situation, or will I need to resort to having it repaired or replaced?

Thanks!

Al

Can you boot in safe mode?

How exactly are you installing the XP?

From CD?

Is it an original (hologram) CD or a "burned" one (possibly with Service Packs integrated? (it could be simlpy a "bad burn" of the CD)

Have you integrated the specific drivers for that machine?

jaclaz

I cannot boot in safe mode.

I am trying to install the XP from a burned CD and I need to ask the source if the Service Packs have been included.

The drivers have not yet been integrated, can that be done without an existing OS?

Thanks!

Al

To make it simple - you probably need to integrate the mass storage (SATA) drivers. You can do it on a different computer and then burn the new XP CD with the drivers integrated. Use nLite to do it.

You should be able to find the drivers on the laptop manufacturer's website.

Thanks for the suggestion!

To do that, do I find the drivers I need and download them to the existing XP disc I have?

Or do they need to be in any specific loading order on the disc?

Like I said earlier, I'm not tech savvy - the drivers that I need to download, is that for wireless, mouse, sound, etc?

Thanks!

To do that, do I find the drivers I need and download them to the existing XP disc I have?

The idea is to use your current CD as "source", copy it (on a working machine) to a hard disk directory, "integrate" to it the drivers and burn a new install CD.

Since you are "new" to the specific chore, I would suggest you to leave alone (for the moment) the manufacturer's drivers (that may be more complex to be "integrated" and use instead the "drivers" pack:

http://driverpacks.net/

the 0x0000007E error is not necessarily connected with Mass Storage drivers missing (0x0000007B is).

What you actually *need* to have the PC booting is normally:

1. Chipset drivers
  2. Mass Storage Drivers

no need for graphics drivers (at the most you will have a low resolution), maybe you might want to have also the LAN drivers (but if the XP boots, you can still add them later via another CD or USB stick should the Lan card not be supported by the built-in XP drivers).

Once you have the laptop boot, then you can update the drivers from the manufacturer's site.

jaclaz

I've downloaded the XP disc into my C drive.

The chipset and mass storage drivers are telling me "This DriverPack can only be downloaded via BitTorrent". Is this another file I need to d/l before I can proceed?

Find and install (e.g.) Vuze or BitTorrent. As you can see folks retain the DriverPacks on their HDD and "seeders" means # of sources / "leechers" means # of folks downloading. This is a P2P sharing mechanism. Perfectly safe. Get the P2P Torrent software directly from the Official "maker". What you download from DriverPacks is a "xxx.torrent" file usable by the software to "interface" with the "seeders" for download of the actual Pack.

edit - please note that many "warez" sites use this mechanism. DO NOT use it for illegal purposes!

Edited by submix8c

I've downloaded the XP disc into my C drive.

The chipset and mass storage drivers are telling me "This DriverPack can only be downloaded via BitTorrent". Is this another file I need to d/l before I can proceed?

Well, due to the success of the thingy (and the huge bandwidth used) the good guys turned to use bittorrent which is an alternate approach, technically "peer-to-peer", depending on the browser you are using it may have a bittirrent client (Opera comes to mind) or you might need a specific bittorrent tool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

jaclaz

I have copied the chipset and storage drivers to cd along with Windows XP.

The laptop will not boot from cd. I've tried the F12 and asked to boot from cd - nada.

I also tried the Windows XP only cd - won't try to boot from that either.

I need to put this away for now and head out to work, back on it tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the input - I really appreciate it!

Al

I have copied the chipset and storage drivers to cd along with Windows XP.

...and thus most probably made a non-bootable CD....

I also tried the Windows XP only cd - won't try to boot from that either.

Well, it must have booted before to allow you the now botched install :unsure:

Try again, after having READ what to do and how to do it:

http://driverpacks.net/docs/beginners-guide-windows-xp

nlite (as in the above) is possibly the easiest tool to create the CD image, which can also be created manually, in any case IMGBURN is advised to actually burn to CD:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325399,00.asp

I need to put this away for now and head out to work, back on it tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the input - I really appreciate it!

NO prob :).

jaclaz

jaclaz,

Thank you for pointing out the article to read - I am now searching for my original XP disc.

And, in answer to: Well, it must have booted before to allow you the now botched install

That was with the old install on the hard drive I have replaced.

Al

Edited by AlfromMd

And, in answer to: Well, it must have booted before to allow you the now botched install

That was with the old install on the hard drive I have replaced.

I am not sure to understand (actually I am sure I don't understand :w00t: ), you posted:

Upon attempting to install XP. I am now faced with the following issue: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

In that occasion HOW (which media if not the CD) did you use to attempt installing the XP? :unsure:

But what I meant was that it is possible that you have "other" issues with booting from CD (such as BIOS settings, a "bad" drive or bad cable/connection) but that right now the culprit sounds being the non bootable CD, as that PC can boot from the CD device (if bootable media is used), and you actually booted from it recently, didn't you?

jaclaz