Need Help Loading XP PRO into laptop

AlfromMd

Just bear this in mind (post#12). It refers to an OEM install. There's a little more to it if it's a Retail Full or Upgrade, but the "basic" rules remain the same (except pre-activation).

Come back when you get past the "glitch" for more precise help on that matter.

Also check Ebay for any Dell XP Pro recovery disk, I see one here (in Belgium..) for 1cent, you might get lucky as well.

Not that easy IMHO.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Dell-Windows-XP-Professional-Service-Pack-2-Reinstallation-CD-SP2-

There are at least three of them (green ones):

• U957G
  • UT993
  • U5183

and dont' think there is info to know if a given P/N is suitable with the D830. :unsure:

And yes, they may have slipstreamed different SATA drivers, see:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19258369/19430194.aspx

If the case it would be a better idea to contact Dell directly:

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form%20

(though cannot say if they still provide those discs and at which cost)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Well, FWIW, here is the Drivers/Software (same list is apparently here). I have an original Dell XP MCE Restore DVD that MIGHT help isolating what's changed "manually".

I was unsure of how to completely erase my old hard drive - which I suspect has some nasties in it so I purchased a new WD Scorpio Blue Internal Hard Drive.
If you still have the original HDD, it MIGHT be possible to "reconstruct" an OEM CD/DVD from some of its contents (plus the one you haveas a "base") using e.g. a BartPE or LiveXP. It won't be an "exact" OEM CD/DVD but it would suffice with minimal drivers integrated. Note that my DVD is one of a two-part "set", the first being a more-or-less "Dell generic" and the second being the remainder of the Drivers/Software. This seems to be the way Dell went for XP Installation CD/DVD's supplied with PC's. I'm "somewhat" versed in Dell's since these are the majority I've had to work on (aside from Acer/HP/eMachines).

I've noted that Dell doesn't (apparently) pre-install XP 64-bit so you should be good on that.

For the record (pertaining to your CD's/DVD's you have) a "straight" Retail/GenericOEM (unaltered by the Manufacturer) has these as dates for ALL Folders/Files.

RTM 08/23/2001

SP1 08/29/2002

SP1a 03/31/2003

SP2 08/04/2004 <-Flyer says this (or optionally Vista, probably Business)

SP3 04/14/2008

The first task, though (as stated), is to ensure that your "source" CD's/DVD's are good (unaltered?) and readable via a VM. Without a good (clean) source you will be snookered. Note that a REAL OEM CD/DVD like mine is, however, good as a starting point - see link given by jaclaz to assist in recognizing one. They do NOT look the same as directly from MS. (ServicePack Level is irrelevant).

This is doable - follow instructions though...