Mouse drift

west117wolf

I have had a problem with my mouse pointer drifting to the top of the screen and then I cannot control it. I have a logitech mouse and have contacted them and they were not able to resolve the issue. They had me install previous software but that did not help nor the updated current software did no good. If I restart the computer it fixes for a short time but then it occurs again. I also did a system restore to the earliest point I could restore to, but I find that it has started occurring again. I know it is not the mouse because I have tried other mice incuding a new optical microsoft mouse and it still happens.

Some have suggested that this is a Windows 7 problem. Can any one help me with this problem??

West

Ummmm. that doesn't say whether it's a Notebook with a Touchpad or not.

Doesn'it? :unsure:

If you read it like this (as I do) it seems to me that it isn't a laptop:

KY: No I have a Dell Core i7 CPU, 920 2,67 GHZ, 64 bit, Windows 7 Home Premium.

West

:whistle:

I checked a bit around about this issue and apart the usual senseless advice about using last drivers (which could make sense if a change occurred in hardware and/or the behaviour only happens when using a specific newly installed app, but that is otherwise apolite way to say "I have no ideas, so, since I cannot refrain to say something, I advise you to update the driver, it won't hurt") and other meaningless replies, there is nothing much.

Since the behaviour happens with also other mice, the only two possibilities are IMHO:

1. a hardware issue (on the motherboard/USB/bus/*whatever*) :ph34r: (presuming it is USB)
  2. *something* in the Registry (more likely)

If the motherboard has a PS/2 port, I would try with a PS/2 mouse and completely uninstall the whole set of USB connected drivers, and clean USB related key in the Registry.

Or, even easier, boot *any* "live" system, like a Linux or a PE of some kind and see if the behaviour continues.

Some more details won't be completely unuseful, like knowing WHEN (in which occasion) it started happening (like if any card or other hardware was added/removed) if the behaviour is "all round" or only happens when some particular other acivity is performed on the PC, etc.

As an example - on a COMPLETELY UNRELATED report - I found traces that this behaviour happened/happens in Ubuntu when wireless network is used heavily :w00t: :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/334957

jaclaz

To be more specific my computes is a desktop.

Dell,Studio XPS435T

My driver is up to date

Dont know what a "Linex" or "PE" is???

My system is not wireless

Behavior occurs with any program.

I have no clue re making changes to the registry.

Thanks

West

PS: Behavior may occur 1 hour after starting computes or 30 minutes or 5 minutes and sometime it does not occur at all.

Edited by west117wolf

Dont know what a "Linex" or "PE" is???

Linux.

It is another Operating System (of which there are tens of distributions), that is normally available also in a "live" version (i.e. that does not write anything to the hard disk and can be booted from a CD/DVD or USB stick).

PE is short for Pre-installation Environment it is a sort of mini-OS that can be XP, Vista :ph34r: or Windows 7 (and now Windows 8) based that has more or less the same feature of the above (can be booted off a CD/DVD or USB stick).

The idea is that IF the issue is in *any* way connected with hardware by doing a "burn-in", let's say 24 hours, running another OS, the same issue is likely to occur as well.

(it may well be specific to Windows 7 only, so a PE 3.x, i.e. a PE built form Windows 7 would be the most suited).

On the other hand, if the behaviour does not present itself when running the PE, it is more likely that it depends from your Windows 7 environment/install, typically by a *somehow* corrupted driver or registry entry or by a conflict of some kind between running drivers and services.

Before that, as said, I would try (if possible) to uninstall and re-install the whole set of USB related drivers.

Please answer these questions:

1. Is the "problematic" mouse (mice) USB?
  2. Does that motherboard have a PS/2 connector/socket?
  3. If yes, do you have a PS/2 mouse (or can you borrow/buy/steal :w00t:) one?
  4. Or - together with one of your mice do you have a USB to PS/2 adapter?

(something looking like the image)

ADA-USB-PS2-unit.jpg

jaclaz

Jaclaz: Thanks for the reply; however, for the past 2 days (knock on wood) the mouse has been behaving...so unless it starts up again I will not trouble anyone further with this problem, but if it returns, I will return. Thanks.

West

Forget the above....the evil drift has reappeared its ugly head. I go back and answer the questions you requested

Edited by west117wolf

1.Is the "problematic" mouse (mice) USB?

2.Does that motherboard have a PS/2 connector/socket?

3.If yes, do you have a PS/2 mouse (or can you borrow/buy/steal ) one?

4.Or - together with one of your mice do you have a USB to PS/2 adapter?

1.Yes

2.No

3.Yes

4.Yes

West

2.No

Then, no need to reply to #3 and #4.

The plan (failed) was to connect a PS/2 mouse and completely uninstall (and later re-install) anything USB related.

Do you have another PC (and a home network)?

If yes, you can try Sinergy (still with the idea of having "something else from USB" pilot the mouse on screen, and thus allowing safelu the uninstall of the USB drivers):

http://synergy-foss.org/

jaclaz

No, I have no other computer.

I have found that if i reduce the speed of the mouse under pointer settings that this stops the drift along with ensuring that the Logitech mouse is selected under hardware. So I guess I will go with this fix unless there is another remedy. Thanks for the help.

West

along with ensuring that the Logitech mouse is selected under hardware

You mean that there is something else to be selected? If yes and if it is incombatible with the Logitech mouse then this can be the whole of the problem (it being selected instead of the Logitech mouse), the speed of the mouse may be irrelevant.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this: What about your mousepad? Have you tried changing it/cleaning it? I've seen different mice "disagreeing" with particular kind of background (light, dark, glossy, matte etc.) while working perfectly on another type. And yes, one of the symptoms is drift.

GL

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this: What about your mousepad? Have you tried changing it/cleaning it? I've seen different mice "disagreeing" with particular kind of background (light, dark, glossy, matte etc.) while working perfectly on another type. And yes, one of the symptoms is drift.

GL

I would be surprised :w00t: if such a mousepad capable of being incompatible with BOTH a Logitech and a Microsoft mouse (please read as "two of the most common make/brands) has ever been produced and sold in more than 2 (two) units....

I know it is not the mouse because I have tried other mice incuding a new optical microsoft mouse and it still happens.

OP would have been really UNlucky to find one of such specimens..... :ph34r:

But yes :thumbup , testing on a plain A4 shet of paper would be also a good idea.

jaclaz