Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

A few more. . .

Hi Laurence,

Wow, keep this up and pretty soon you'll have found more than I did to get the list started. Thank you! :thumbup

JorgeA, from what I read online Samsung and Toshiba are offering a Start button and menu of their own (at least with particular models); although I did a quick search on their sites I came up empty.

Great, we already have an HP Start Menu replacement on the list and you just contributed the Lenovo one. Let's keep an eye out for Samsung and Toshiba versions. (Screenshots of a Samsung start menu had appeared a couple of months ago, but I haven't heard anything new as to whether they'd gone ahead with it.)

I haven't been able to get the DeviantArt link to work for the Windows 8 Start Menu toggle (or anything else there), maybe the server is down for maintenance on Thanksgiving.

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
Hi JorgeA.

I just downloaded the Windows 8 Start Menu toggle from the deviantART site now, and gave it a go, however it looks like it does not work on the Win8 final version from MS. It must have only been for the Developer Preview. Looks like I was too quick on the draw with that one. Sorry about that.

regards,
Laurence

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,564 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Great, we already have an HP Start Menu replacement on the list and you just contributed the Lenovo one. Let's keep an eye out for Samsung and Toshiba versions.

Some Toshiba info here:
http://news.softpedi...nu-300238.shtml
http://www.cerneawor...o-prepares.html
Possibly it's this one:
http://www.csd.toshi...ue&soid=3520679
though from the info around it seems like a "more complex" app than a simple Start button replacement.

As well the Samsung one is seemingly contained within the "Easy Settings" app:
http://www.samsung.c...XE500T1C-A01US?

I have no idea if either is "locked" on specific manufacturer's hardware or can be used on other PC's. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 22 November 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
@ jaclaz,

Thanks!

The Samsung one will not install on my computer (not a Samsung): it begins the installation process then faults out with an error stating "This setup is only available on Samsung Computer" and then rolls back what it had begun.

The Toshiba one on the other hand installs without any (known) problem, and my computer is not a Toshiba. The Toshiba Desktop Assist does not offer to bypass the Metro/Modern screen; however once in the Desktop UI there is an Desktop Assist icon on the desktop and one pinned to the Taskbar (which of course can be dragged to where the Start button used to be, if so desired); here is a link to an image of Desktop Assist.

regards,
Laurence

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Joined 15-May 05
This is like a linux world right now. There are 2 good programs that bring up the Start Menu in Win8 - StartIsBack and ClassicShell, but people keep bringing up same stuff packed in a different way.
It's gonna be a hell out there when M$ will buy Tihiy's start menu to incorporate into Win8SP1. :D

colore

colore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
which is the best???

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
StartIsBack and Classic Shell can both be used at the same time to give you the best of all options and configurability, IMO

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 23 November 2012 - 07:49 AM.

Posted Image

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
Yet another:

StartW8

It is free, boots directly to desktop, provides a Start button and menu, very minimal customization available, no RMB context menu in the menu.

regards,
Laurence

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

The Samsung one will not install on my computer (not a Samsung): it begins the installation process then faults out with an error stating "This setup is only available on Samsung Computer" and then rolls back what it had begun.

The Toshiba one on the other hand installs without any (known) problem, and my computer is not a Toshiba. The Toshiba Desktop Assist does not offer to bypass the Metro/Modern screen; however once in the Desktop UI there is an Desktop Assist icon on the desktop and one pinned to the Taskbar (which of course can be dragged to where the Start button used to be, if so desired); here is a link to an image of Desktop Assist.

Thanks, Laurence, for testing these (and @jaclaz for digging them up).

We'll take a pass on the Samsung one, as their Start Menu appears to be only one part of the Easy Settings program and installing this program could introduce more confusion than it resolves.

Based on your report, though, it looks like we're good to go on the Toshiba offering.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

which is the best???

That's what this thread is for! :) I'm hoping that people who have tried one or more of these, will come back and tell us how they worked out for them.

Myself, I'm happy with Start Menu X, although that shouldn't be taken as an endorsement over any other entry in the list. My Win8 installations are not on my main PC (I wouldn't dare take the chance!!) and I don't use them heavily, so I haven't had a strong reason to experiment with other start menus. I simply found, early on, something that worked for me and I've stayed with it.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Yet another:

StartW8

It is free, boots directly to desktop, provides a Start button and menu, very minimal customization available, no RMB context menu in the menu.

Hi Laurence,

Great, I've put it on the list.

I'm thinking of reorganizing the list a couple of ways. First it would be put in alphabetical order, and then sometime later the entries would be classified along the lines described earlier (by feature or purpose of the method/application). Hopefully these changes won't screw up anybody who's been trying these out in the order that they're now listed...

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 23 November 2012 - 11:41 AM.

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12

. . .

I'm thinking of reorganizing the list a couple of ways. First it would be put in alphabetical order, and then sometime later the entries would be classified along the lines described earlier (by feature or purpose of the method/application). Hopefully these changes won't screw up anybody who's been trying these out in the order that they're now listed...

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

What you are proposing to do sounds good. And it certainly could prove to be a real help to anyone who is thinking about giving one or more of those programs a "try and see" for their selves. I know the one I had settled on does mostly what I want it to do; one thing I like about it is that it is actively developed, with bug fixes and enhancements (so after a little while may do all I want). And although I'm not saying it is the "best" but it "works for me"; as to the best, I'd have to have tried and compared all of the programs in their feature-set, ongoing development, active support, cost, etc. - but nonetheless in the end it would still be 'in my opinion. . . .'

regards,
Laurence

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
Hi JorgeA,

Here is another one: Win8Starter

It comes in a paid version ($5.99 USD), and a Free version. On their website it says, "Restrictions of the free version: no settings; no automatic adjustment of menu color; no possibility to add your own shortcuts."

Upon install the Start Button icon is placed on the Taskbar but must be dragged to the left hand corner of it, well as close as the Win8Starter button allows that is. . . also during Windows boot-up, Logging off and Logging back in, etc., it first goes to the Metro/Modern start screen, and if you wait for a bit (!) it will then proceed to the Desktop UI.

regards,
Laurence

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Hi Laurence,

Thanks very much! I'll add Win8Starter right away.

I just realized that I never did put the Handy Start Menu on the list, so I'm doing that as well.

Finishing up a big project at work this week, then I'll alphabetize the list items.

Best Wishes,

--JorgeA

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
Another very simple (and free) Start Menu can be found here:
W8SM (Windows 8 Start Menu)

Edited by Laurence, 28 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Hi Laurence,

Excellent! On the list now. :)

--JorgeA

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
And another can be located here (price $4.99):
Classic Start Button

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
And another one can be found here (free):
Classic Start 8

regards,
Laurence

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12

Hi Laurence,

. . .

Finishing up a big project at work this week, then I'll alphabetize the list items.

Best Wishes,

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

I hope that project at work turned out well for you.

When you alphabetize the list items, are you going to include the company name of all the programs (that is, if there is a company name), as presently you do with some but not with all (or perhaps just remove all company names)? And will you be changing some of the listings URL's? The reason I ask is that most of the programs do have their own home sites from which to download the program (though granted, not all).

I see that the link for Ezy Start Menu for Windows 8 listing no longer works, and doing a few quick searches did not reveal an alternative working link. Also just in case you miss it when changing things around, what you have presently listed as "WS8M (Windows 8 Start Menu)" really ought to be "W8SM (Windows 8 Start Menu)".

Thanks JorgeA.

regards,
Laurence

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
And another (free). . .
Taskbar Classic Start Menu

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Hi Laurence,

Wow, your research is amazing!

Sorry about the typo on the "Windows 8 Start Menu" application -- that's what happens when I'm in a rush. :blushing:

I'll be done with my project tomorrow and then I'll fix that and also add the new ones you keep finding. :thumbup Then I'll put them in alphabetical order.

Your suggestion to add descriptions or brief company info and various other fixes is good, and I'll do that step by step. It's also sensible to check all of the links every so often and make sure they still work.

Gratefully,

--JorgeA

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
Here is another (30 day trial, then pay $):

Aston Menu

(Although it does not mention Win8 in its requirements, it installed on my Win8 machine without making any change.)

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

And another (free). . .
Taskbar Classic Start Menu

Hi Laurence,

Do you know if this one works on a Win8 system? The website says that it requires Vista or Win7, but I couldn't find any mention of Windows 8 specifically.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I see that the link for Ezy Start Menu for Windows 8 listing no longer works, and doing a few quick searches did not reveal an alternative working link.

I just looked into that and got the same (lack of) result as you. References to the Ezy Start Menu have disappeared from the author's website, so it looks like it's been withdrawn.

Taking it off the list. One less alternative to try out, for those who are feeling overwhelmed by the mountain of choices. ;)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 01 December 2012 - 07:21 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Here is another (30 day trial, then pay $):

Aston Menu

(Although it does not mention Win8 in its requirements, it installed on my Win8 machine without making any change.)

Great! I've added in to the list.

--JorgeA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users