Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

'Only' 750,000 since Windows 8 got launched.

Pretty impressive!

Does Classic Shell make it possible for the user to disable showing desktop applications in the Start Screen, and/or to disable Metro apps in the Start Menu? That's what @ozaz wanted to know a few posts back.

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
Desktop apps aren't disabled on the Start screen but it has a separate Apps menu in the Start Menu, distinct from Programs so Metro apps always remain separate. The idea is that even if you use Metro apps, you never actually use the Start screen. :D :lol: The Start Menu does everything the Start screen does except Live Tiles. If you really find Live Tiles that useful, you wouldn't be installing a Start menu in the first place. :)

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

ozaz

ozaz

• 15 posts
  • Joined 22-December 12

If you really find Live Tiles that useful, you wouldn't be installing a Start menu in the first place. :)

I disagree. Whilst I think the start screen will never make sense for desktop apps (poor for efficiency to have the desktop app launcher outside of the desktop environment), I do think it has its merits as a launcher for metro apps (one of which is live tiles) and I think it will evolve into something better. I also think I will like having the 2 environments completely separate. However, I come to that opinion after less than 2 days use of StartIsBack (so not sure if it is just a transient opinion) and I have not tried Classic Shell. Is there a screenshot of the Classic Shell metro app menu somewhere?

Cheers

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
The Classic Shell metro app menu, when I saw it at a neighbor's, is just a simple alphabetical list of all the metro apps. In the area where the "All Programs" link is, is another parallel link for "All Apps". When clicked, the alphabetical list flies out, similar to the All Programs list.

Classic Shell is easy to try and remove if you desire. It can also be used in conjunction with StartIsBack. And in all cases, you always have access to the Start Screen if you prefer to use it as a metro app launcher. Access to it is not blocked.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

If you really find Live Tiles that useful, you wouldn't be installing a Start menu in the first place. :)

I disagree. Whilst I think the start screen will never make sense for desktop apps (poor for efficiency to have the desktop app launcher outside of the desktop environment), I do think it has its merits as a launcher for metro apps (one of which is live tiles) and I think it will evolve into something better. I also think I will like having the 2 environments completely separate. However, I come to that opinion after less than 2 days use of StartIsBack (so not sure if it is just a transient opinion) and I have not tried Classic Shell. Is there a screenshot of the Classic Shell metro app menu somewhere?

Cheers

Here's a screenshot.

Posted Image

Of course, it is just a menu. On the desktop, the purpose of "Live Tiles" is already served for the past 17 years by the notification area/system tray and Vista onwards by gadgets. In fact, the beauty of gadgets or tray area is that they can notify you while you are multitasking with other apps. Whereas, you have to specifically open the Start screen from any app to see the Live Tiles, They are tied to the screen. Unlike gadgets which for example you can have "Always on top" tucked away in a corner while you multitask, you can't see Live Tiles without showing the screen screen. I personally consider Live Tiles pretty distracting and for the fraction of a second my Start screen is suppose open, I have no time to scan across them to see if there's anything new. Plus if you really do like Live Tiles, the Start screen is just a Shift+click or Shift+Win key away. Access to it is not prevented by Classic Shell. :)

Of course, I did purchase StartIsBack as well because it can co-exist with Classic Shell. Win key opens Windows Start Menu. Mouse click opens Classic Start Menu. I am just not sure the evil things Microsoft won't do in future versions. They may take out the Start Menu code entirely including the jump list code and replace it by something "simplified".

Edited by xpclient, 24 December 2012 - 07:08 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

the beauty of gadgets or tray area is that they can notify you while you are multitasking with other apps.

This is a mantra that Steve B. and Julie L.-G. should be required to repeat every time they answer the office phone, as a condition of receiving their stock options.

I've always been dubious about the official "security" reason for abandoning Gadgets. All of a sudden, after all these years they discover a vulnerability that can't be fixed?? And just as Windows 8 is getting released??? Methinks it has more to do with promoting Win8 with its live tiles...

--JorgeA

oldwindows

oldwindows

• 10 posts
  • Joined 08-November 12
XPClient:
Are you the creator of Classic Shell? Just want to say that I really like it. Please do not stop developing it :). It's great!

Edited by oldwindows, 24 December 2012 - 11:46 PM.

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
^^ No Ivo Beltchev is. :) It's thanks to him that it's so good. It's like this. Ivo Beltchev first created the Up button, copy dialog replacement and basic Start Menu. Then I liked the project so much that I joined him and started giving him feature suggestions and ideas about new features and how to improve the UX, feedback around how it should be designed, and did the testing and attention to fine details and usability. Together we make a nice team. :)

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,814 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Unrelated - when I try to view page 3 of this thread, my browser (google chrome) gives the following malware warning:

In the future, if you encounter this type of message again anywhere on MSFN, report it here:
http://www.msfn.org/...e-forum-issues/
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Help! I've got Windows 8 and I miss my Start menu! ( Ars Technica 2013-01-14 )

Start is back! ( The Verge 2013-01-14 )

Head to head review of five Start Menu restorers: Start8, StartIsBack, Classic Shell, Pokki and RetroUI at Ars Technica. The 2nd link at The Verge is a commentary on that review.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Help! I've got Windows 8 and I miss my Start menu! ( Ars Technica 2013-01-14 )

Start is back! ( The Verge 2013-01-14 )

Head to head review of five Start Menu restorers: Start8, StartIsBack, Classic Shell, Pokki and RetroUI at Ars Technica. The 2nd link at The Verge is a commentary on that review.

See my reply over in the "Deepr Impressions" thread...

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
There was another review posted a month ago ...

9 Windows Start menus for Windows 8 ( InfoWorld 2012-12-12 )

This one covers: Classic Shell, Start8, StartMenu8, Power8, Pokki, StartIsBack, RetroUI, ViStart, and StartW8.

A little less in-depth compared to the previously mentioned review, and no winners are picked. Just a broad overview.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
RetroUI for Windows 8 gets updated; new menu and 'SuperSize' Start screen ( NeoWin 2013-02-04 )

An update to one of the more interesting Start Menu restorers. Worth a read and definitely watch their video. Ignore the NeoWhiners who can't stomach any customization that affects their Romper Room Tiles interface. :lol:

sgj

sgj
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06

One more Start Menu from Poland:

http://www.sgjps.com...StartForDesktop

This link is incorrect.

English version: http://www.sgjps.com...StartForDesktop

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12

One more Start Menu from Poland:

http://www.sgjps.com...StartForDesktop

This link is incorrect.

English version: http://www.sgjps.com...StartForDesktop

I was wondering if or when another start menu might be discovered. Good find SGJ. Did you happen across StartForDesktop or were you looking for start menu's?

regards,
Laurence

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I was wondering if or when another start menu might be discovered. Good find SGJ. Did you happen across StartForDesktop or were you looking for start menu's?

Hey, Laurence! :hello:

I think that @sgj may actually be the creator (as opposed to the finder) of this Start Menu replacement. :thumbup

Now that it's available in English, we can add it to the list. (Not that I have anything against the Polish language, of course -- Spanish is my native tongue, and I wouldn't list a Start Menu that was available only in Spanish, either. The idea is for as many people as possible to be able to use it and know what's going on with the utility.)

--JorgeA

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12

Hey, Laurence! :hello:

I think that @sgj may actually be the creator (as opposed to the finder) of this Start Menu replacement. :thumbup

Now that it's available in English, we can add it to the list. (Not that I have anything against the Polish language, of course -- Spanish is my native tongue, and I wouldn't list a Start Menu that was available only in Spanish, either. The idea is for as many people as possible to be able to use it and know what's going on with the utility.)

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

Whoops! My Bad. :blushing:

I can only lay rightful claim to having an understanding of English. But if I could, I wouldn't mind knowing a programming language! If only I had of been taught Assembly, Basic, C and C++, etc. beginning from my earliest days - look out Microsoft. :ph34r:

JorgeA I hope you have been and remain well.

regards,
Laurence

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Two more reviews ...

StartisBack 2.0 Windows 8 Start menu program released ( NeoWin 2013-03-04 )

The first time ( I think ) that Tiihy's utility has been featured at NeoWin. Naturally the MetroTards are less than happy.

Stardock Start8 vs. Classic Shell ( Maximum PC 2013-03-12 )

Very thorough comparison. The comments are a hoot ( remember that MPC is the opposite of NeoWin ).

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
That Maximum PC comparative was generally fair, I thought, although I'll be curious to hear what @xpclient has to say about it.

Good idea to report reviews and reports of entries on our list. (Nice to see that a project launched on MSFN got featured on another big website, too.) Maybe we can start doing that (linking to reviews of Start Menu replacements) on a regular basis here.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Reports are coming in that the "legacy" code supporting Start Menu replacements has been taken out of Windows Blue:

Confirmed the leaked version of Windows blue dont support StartIsBack even Start8 dont's work Microsoft eliminates all code, change kernel and explorer is a bad news.

A couple of posters in the StartIsBack thread says that some replacements work and others don't.

Anybody care to try out all the items on our list in the leaked Windows Blue?

Thanks to @CharlotteTheHarlot for bringing this to attention in the "Deeper Impressions" thread.

--JorgeA

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12
In one of the threads of the Stardock Start8 forum, I see that "Start8 1.14 beta now available": it has "Updates for Windows® "Blue" compatibility testing"

It will be interesting to see how many of the now available Start Menu's, which presently do not work as advertised (or at all) in the build of Windows "Blue" floating around in the wild, receive updates so that they do. We now know of one. As long as they work in the officially released Windows version, that's the main thing.

regards,
Laurence

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
Classic Shell 3.6.6 works with the leaked builds of Windows 8.1 aka 'Blue'. :thumbup Get a sexy looking skin for it here: http://winaero.com/b...-classic-shell/

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

In one of the threads of the Stardock Start8 forum, I see that "Start8 1.14 beta now available": it has "Updates for Windows® "Blue" compatibility testing"

It will be interesting to see how many of the now available Start Menu's, which presently do not work as advertised (or at all) in the build of Windows "Blue" floating around in the wild, receive updates so that they do. We now know of one. As long as they work in the officially released Windows version, that's the main thing.

Hi Laurence,

Yes, that's is the next logical step for this thread. Windows 8 will soon morph into Windows Blue, and unless we update it for Blue the list will get increasingly less useful over time.

Any volunteers out there to install Windows Blue and start trying out these Start Menu/Button alternatives? I could expand the list with a separate section specific to Windows Blue (or 8.1 or whatever they end up calling it).

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Classic Shell 3.6.6 works with the leaked builds of Windows 8.1 aka 'Blue'. :thumbup Get a sexy looking skin for it here: http://winaero.com/b...-classic-shell/

Excellent! I'm very happy to hear that Classic Shell works on Blue. :yes:

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,150 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I have tried Start8 and Pokki. Both of them are awesome. Pokki is a much more better option to replace the start menu. There are plenty of things you can do with it. Thank you guys for providing other options. I'll check out some other software too.

Glad to be of service!

Are you trying these on Windows 8, or on Windows Blue? (Just curious.)

--JorgeA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN