Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

Island Dog

Island Dog

• 27 posts
  • Joined 17-January 07
Start8 works with any of the 8.1 builds just fine. :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Here's another one to add to your list, and it's free! START MENU REVIVER

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Here's another one to add to your list, and it's free! START MENU REVIVER

Cheers and Regards

Nice find! With "Blue" coming up, I didn't think anybody else would take a chance on creating a Start Menu that may turn out not to work in just a few months' time.

I'll add it to the list.

Next on tap will be to review all the existing links and fix or clean them up.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 15 May 2013 - 10:21 PM.

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

I just tried all the links and most all are still working as advertised, except for Lenovo QuickLaunch and Toshiba Desktop Assist. And perhaps those two apps might still be found on their respective sites - someplace.

Ah hah, so another start button/menu (i.e. Start Menu Reviver) joins the ranks eh. Welcome to the party. :-)

I'm not sure why. . . (scratching head and wondering to self) but I am looking forward to the release of Windows 8.1. And I say I'm not sure why, because the way I have my Win8 set up I very seldom see or use any of its new metro interface (unless I have specifically chosen to do so). Still, fixes, and worthwhile enhancements or 'renovations' will be accepted; here, all improvements are welcome, all other is not.

All the best to you JorgeA.

regards,
Laurence

Laurence

Laurence

• 48 posts
  • Joined 31-October 12

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

I just tried all the links and most all are still working as advertised, except for Lenovo QuickLaunch and Toshiba Desktop Assist. And perhaps those two apps might still be found on their respective sites - someplace.

Ah hah, so another start button/menu (i.e. Start Menu Reviver) joins the ranks eh. Welcome to the party. :-)

I'm not sure why. . . (scratching head and wondering to self) but I am looking forward to the release of Windows 8.1. And I say I'm not sure why, because the way I have my Win8 set up I very seldom see or use any of its new metro interface (unless I have specifically chosen to do so). Still, fixes, and worthwhile enhancements or 'renovations' will be accepted; here, all improvements are welcome, all other is not.

All the best to you JorgeA.

regards,
Laurence

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Wow Laurence, thank you -- you saved me a ton of work!! :thumbup :thumbup I wish there were an official way to give you Kudos, as in some forums.

Yes, we sensibly hope that an updated product will mean improvements. We shall see. The drum's rolling...

Great to hear from you again! :hello: All the best to you too.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Odd. Lenovo's page for Windows 8 support still lists the QuickLaunch button, but when you click on the link, the result says that "the document is not available."

A search on the Toshiba site for Desktop Assist yields nothing (literally a blank page for me).

We'll remove both of these. Too bad.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
News is that Windows 8.1 ("Blue") will feature a revived Start Button in the Taskbar.

The question, as asked over in the "Deeper Impressions" thread, is whether this new button -- which reportedly cannot be disabled and only brings up a Metro-style full screen -- will make it impossible to use existing third-party Start Button/Menu replacements. Anybody who knows or can figure out whether we'd still be able to install our own, please let us know.

If the new Start Button can't be disabled or replaced, it might make this whole sticky pointless.

--JorgeA

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

News is that Windows 8.1 ("Blue") will feature a revived Start Button in the Taskbar.

The question, as asked over in the "Deeper Impressions" thread, is whether this new button -- which reportedly cannot be disabled and only brings up a Metro-style full screen -- will make it impossible to use existing third-party Start Button/Menu replacements. Anybody who knows or can figure out whether we'd still be able to install our own, please let us know.

If the new Start Button can't be disabled or replaced, it might make this whole sticky pointless.

--JorgeA

At the end of the day, 8.1 is only available through the windows store, it's not coming through windows update, so it's entirely up to you if you want to use it, I am sure there will continue to be security updates for the 8.0 release, so if the 8.1 release brings nothing that anybody wants and only continues to lock down the OS even more then we can just skip it all together.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

At the end of the day, 8.1 is only available through the windows store, it's not coming through windows update, so it's entirely up to you if you want to use it, I am sure there will continue to be security updates for the 8.0 release, so if the 8.1 release brings nothing that anybody wants and only continues to lock down the OS even more then we can just skip it all together.

Well the Store for updates, yes, but it will be coming on new systems pre-installed. I imagine a lot of hapless victims of Windows 8 Blew will look at their brand new system and hit Google, try to install one of these utilities in order to repair this Microsoft bug and be out of luck!

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Removing Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8 from the list, as Tihiy has replaced that project with StartIsBack (already listed).

--JorgeA

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,037 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Mark Russinovich also uses a Startmenu in Windows 8:

http://channel9.msdn...bid=Pa0ls4wnMJj

Posted Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

Removing Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8 from the list, as Tihiy has replaced that project with StartIsBack (already listed).

Obviously I am very familiar with StartIsBack, but I think I still occasionally see someone mention that they are still using Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8. But of course, if Tihiy no longer supports the project, and/or it is no longer available for download, and if Tihiy agrees that it should be removed from the list, then that would take priority over any other opinions.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Obviously I am very familiar with StartIsBack, but I think I still occasionally see someone mention that they are still using Windows 7 Explorer for Windows 8. But of course, if Tihiy no longer supports the project, and/or it is no longer available for download, and if Tihiy agrees that it should be removed from the list, then that would take priority over any other opinions.

Cheers and Regards

Yeah, I removed it because over in the StartIsBack forum they're telling people that Win7Ex4Win8 is no longer in development and to use SiB instead.

What do you think, should I post a question in there as to whether to de-list Win7Ex4Win8 from here?

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Wow, that really says something! :D

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Removing Revel Software's BringBack from the list, as the developer has decided to focus on other projects and the program is no longer available for download.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 12 June 2013 - 12:22 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Does anybody know if StartIsBack will play nice with WindowBlinds?

--JorgeA

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

I removed it because over in the StartIsBack forum they're telling people that Win7Ex4Win8 is no longer in development and to use SiB instead.

What do you think, should I post a question in there as to whether to de-list Win7Ex4Win8 from here?

I didn't think it was being developed any further, but I thought I had seen that there were people still using it, either in the SiB thread or in BigMuscle's Aero Glass for Win8 thread, I'm not sure which. I would send a PM to Tihiy and ask him and his decision should rule. Without input from him, I'd say that if the DL link still existed and was active, and I just checked and it is, then leave it listed. If Tihiy didn't want it used any more then I assume he would take the link down and post a notice to use SiB instead. Don't get me wrong, I have no idea at all why someone would want to use Win7Ex4Win8 instead of SiB, and I don't think they should, but I'm just saying ...

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I removed it because over in the StartIsBack forum they're telling people that Win7Ex4Win8 is no longer in development and to use SiB instead.

I didn't think it was being developed any further, but I thought I had seen that there were people still using it, either in the SiB thread or in BigMuscle's Aero Glass for Win8 thread, I'm not sure which. I would send a PM to Tihiy and ask him and his decision should rule. Without input from him, I'd say that if the DL link still existed and was active, and I just checked and it is, then leave it listed. If Tihiy didn't want it used any more then I assume he would take the link down and post a notice to use SiB instead. Don't get me wrong, I have no idea at all why someone would want to use Win7Ex4Win8 instead of SiB, and I don't think they should, but I'm just saying ...

That sounds good, I'll PM Tihiy.

The most recent post on the Win7Ex4Win8 thread was back in February. I posted the question there last night and nobody (yet) has replied.

I read somewhere that using Win7Ex4Win8 you can eliminate Metro completely -- as in, it will never show up and you can't call it up until you uninstall Win7Ex4Win8. Does StartIsBack have this capability too?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 13 June 2013 - 08:36 AM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

I read somewhere that using Win7Ex4Win8 you can eliminate Metro completely -- as in, it will never show up and you can't call it up until you uninstall Win7Ex4Win8. Does StartIsBack have this capability too?

To my knowledge, no.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,037 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Wow, that really says something! :D

yeah and he is using all 3 tools from Stardock (Start8, Decor8 and ModernMix):

Posted Image
Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,872 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

That sounds good, I'll PM Tihiy.

The most recent post on the Win7Ex4Win8 thread was back in February. I posted the question there last night and nobody (yet) has replied.

In any case, esp. since Tihiy's kept mention to it in his own signature, I'd advise to keep Win7Ex4Win8 in the list... I do think here is one case where erring on the side of most inclusiveness is preferable than the reverse. Just my 2¢, of course.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,888 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Have any of you read this? [Exclusive] Windows 8.1 Features List

Just to start out with 2 I despise of Win 8

1. Windows 8.1 will come with good old Start button in Taskbar. It'll launch Start Screen upon clicking. Currently Windows 8 users need to use 3rd party software to get Start button and Start Menu back as mentioned here.

2. Windows 8.1 will allow users to direct boot into Desktop. Users will be able to select whether they want to go to Start Screen or Desktop after login. Windows 8 users need to use extra software for such essential functionality as mentioned here.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Yes, but note your (1) says that the Start button will go to the Start Screen, NOT the Start Menu, so it will be a pointless change.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Have any of you read this? [Exclusive] Windows 8.1 Features List

Just to start out with 2 I despise of Win 8

1. Windows 8.1 will come with good old Start button in Taskbar. It'll launch Start Screen upon clicking. Currently Windows 8 users need to use 3rd party software to get Start button and Start Menu back as mentioned here.

2. Windows 8.1 will allow users to direct boot into Desktop. Users will be able to select whether they want to go to Start Screen or Desktop after login. Windows 8 users need to use extra software for such essential functionality as mentioned here.

Thanks for the link!

I agree with @bphlpt, though. The revived Start Button only takes the user to the Metro Start Screen. Although we did name the thread "Ways to get back the Start Meny/Button in Win8"...

Meanwhile, it's up in the air as to how many of the Start Buttons and Menus on the list will still work after Windows 8.1 comes out. If it makes it impossible to use at least some of them, then we'll have to decide what to do with the list. We could leave it as a list of what works in Windows 8.0, or we could update it for 8.1. Another way to go would be to create a separate list for 8.1, or maybe to state in each listing whether it also works on 8.1.

Maybe somebody here (with the time to try out the official preview of 8.1) can test the listed items and report back as to whether they work or not.

--JorgeA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN