Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07
which of those work with win8.1 ?
i just looking for something that can disable metro

Edited by aviv00, 30 June 2013 - 08:21 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Joined 15-May 05
ClassicShell works very well in Win8.1 and you can disable metro.

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07
thx works gr8

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Start Buttons in the news:

'Start' button devs say Windows 8.1 doesn't put them out of business

A lively comments section, too...

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Lenovo has reached an agrement with one of the Start Button/Menu replacement providers on our list, to factory-install it on their computers:

Full Pokki Suite Will Be Preloaded on All Lenovo PCs, With Native Windows App Support in Store

Lenovo has agreed to preload onto all of its new PCs the full range of SweetLabs’ Pokki software, which tweaks the Windows operating system, the companies announced today.

Discussion of the pros and cons of this move should go in the Deeper Impressions thread. ;)

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Jorge, you can add one more way to get the Start Menu to the list ... get a Mac ! :lol:

I really can't believe I just said that.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Jorge, you can add one more way to get the Start Menu to the list ... get a Mac ! :lol:

I really can't believe I just said that.

:w00t:  :D

Yeah, really!! It does tell you something when an Apple OS starts looking like a friendlier computing environment than Windows.

But we'll leave that discussion for "over there"... ;)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 01 September 2013 - 11:30 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Tihiy, the developer of StartIsBack, was the subject of an interview on Neowin last week where he gives some of his professional background and the motivation for creating this Start Menu replacement. Well worth reading!

Thanks to @CharlotteTheHarlot for the tip. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 20 October 2013 - 10:26 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Now that Windows 8.1 has been released, time permitting I will go through the master list and try to determine which of them also work on Win8.1, or have separate new versions that do.

If you've tried any of the Start Button/Menu replacements on the list, please let us know if they did (or didn't) work on Windows 8.1, and preferably if they've put out a version that does work there.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Also via @Charlotte, Neowin has also published a new interview with the creator of Classic Shell, Ivo Beltchev, on the Windows 7-style Start Menu and other program features introduced with their recently released version 4.0. Another good, short read.

--JorgeA

polar

polar
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 15-October 13

Start Menu 8 for me. I don't want to pay a dime for an app that is not requisite. 

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

InfoWorld has a page with descriptions and brief reviews of several Start Menu replacements that are said to work on Windows 8.1.

I'll be using this as the starting point for indicating, on our list, Start Menu replacements for Win8.1.

If an item on the list is reported or confirmed to work on this newest version of the OS, it will be marked with "8.1" at the end of the listing for quick identification.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 08 November 2013 - 10:40 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

It's starting to look like the ultimate Start Menu replacement might be put out by... Microsoft itself:

What might a new Windows Start Menu look like?

Since [Paul] Thurrott's initial December 10 report on the return of the Start Menu, I've heard from my own contacts that this is highly likely to happen. Microsoft is, indeed, highly likely to bring back Start Menu. Supposedly it's being called internally "mini-Start," (as it won't be a full-screen Start Menu like in Windows 8), one of my contacts said.

Microsoft may opt to introduce this new Menu as part of the "Threshold" Windows wave in the spring of 2015 or possibly before that, via some kind of Windows 8.1 update. I've heard there is an "Update 1" coming for Windows 8.1 in the spring of 2014, but no word as to how many subsequent updates may be in the pipeline.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 11 December 2013 - 10:48 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

A brief rundown of some of the major (free and pay) Start Button/Menu replacements:

Don’t wait for Windows 'Threshold', get a Start button and menu in Windows 8.1 NOW

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

By now, most Windows 8 (8.1) users know that Microsoft intends to bring back the Start Menu in substantially (though not exactly) the same form as it existed in Windows 7. This could happen as early as this summer.

If and when the official Start Menu with a proper Start Button comes back, this thread will lose its purpose -- mostly, but not entirely: if you look at the image in the linked article, it appears that the revived Menu may feature some sort of integration with Metro apps (unknown at this stage whether users will be able to banish them from the new Menu), so users who'd rather have nothing at all to do with Metro might still want to choose from our list. Assuming that it's possible to override the default Start Menu.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Almost two years into Windows 8 RTM, there's still enough interest out there in Start Menu alternatives to justify articles about them on significant websites:

How to bring back the Start menu and button to Windows 8

StartIsBack and Classic Shell both get nice writeups in there.  :)

--JorgeA

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

still enough interest out there in Start Menu alternatives to justify articles about them on significant websites

Well yeah, considering 90% of Windows users haven't yet touched Windows 8. 

The loss of the functionality the Start menu provided is real, and every single one of them is going to go "what the..." when they first see Microsoft firing a .454 Casull on its own foot.

-Noel

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

LOL  :D    :angrym:

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,476 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

The loss of the functionality the Start menu provided is real, and every single one of them is going to go "what the..." when they first see Microsoft firing a .454 Casull on its own foot.

... and they did it in C#/.NET :w00t: :ph34r:

This would probably need to be updated:

http://www.toodarkpa...lf-in-foot.html

C#
You shoot yourself in the foot, but first have to switch to unsafe mode.
You forget precisely how to use the .NET interface and shoot yourself in the foot. You sue Microsoft for damages.

unless of course they will sue themselves too. ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 07 July 2014 - 03:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users