Do You have the latest Intel Chipset Driver (esp. for P965)?

ragnargd

Dear Fellows,

on the "Compatible Hardware" thread, the P965 chipset is named.

However, i cannot seem to find a motherboard with that chipset, that also has "official" drivers for W98SE.

1. Do you know of any motherboard with that chipset, that does have official drivers for W9X?

So, consequently, but unfortunately, i'm not able to find the "latest" Intel Chipset Installation Utility, that supports that chipset for W98SE.

2. Do you have any such Intel-Drivers?

(I have policy-based, limited internet-acces from here, so i might have missed some sources - just in case i overlooked something that you might have in plain sight).

If noone is able to answer these questions, we might remove that chipset from the list, or mark it as "yeah, we guess so"... ;-)

Regards,

Ragnar G.D.

I really don't know, but on this page (Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:40 AM)

Intel 900 Series with socket 775 MOB no longer supports Windows 98/ME/SE

Intel infinst_autol.exe or intelata_enu.exe did work with Win 9X until 2006

When you try to install newer 9XX chipset.inf file today “infinst_autol.exe or intelata_enu.exe”, they refuse with “Operating System not supported” or even “rundll32 export failure” messages. If you carefully extract the file content to many of *.cat file level and examine them carefully.

it implies that an older version might have them in spite of the first post (edited by galahs: 01 October 2010).

edit - I have an "800 series" that includes 915/915M data approx 2004 (downloaded approx 2007) .

another reference here here here here here here (implies a 945 worked) here.

Edited by submix8c

There was a post in another thread by LoneCrusader mentioning the existence of chipset drivers for i925 usable on Win9x.

I downloaded the package but did not get a chance to play with it yet. I'm not saying they exist for 965, but there might be a little hope.

Thank You for that hint. I downloaded, but it wouldn't even run...

At any Admin looking into this thread:

On the sticky thread about compatible hardware, any reference to W98SE working with any Intel chipset beyond x915x is, at the moment, wrong.

There is no proof, well, there is not even a hint on the internet. MSFN is the only source for this assumption.

MSFN is a kind of reference for people on the internet on this subject.

So i politely request any admin to edit and correct that first entry, even if this means editing a user-made entry AS AN EXCEPTION, and to remove any reference to those other chipsets.

Regards

Ragnar G.D.

Edited by ragnargd

So i politely request any admin to edit and correct that first entry, even if this means editing a user-made entry AS AN EXCEPTION, and to remove any reference to those other chipsets.

You can post on that thread yourself, it's not locked. That's one way to maybe get some discussion going about the Intel 9xx series chipsets with Win9x!

Most of the "sticky" threads are active. The one that you mention is one of galahs's threads, which get lots of good information in the comments.

Usually the mods don't manage the content of the thread topics. That's for us to hammer out. :thumbup

Mmmm... sadly, the INF's in the package are all 2K and up (depending on the INF). Whether they could be "modded" and used is apparently still up for debate. It would have to be done by someone who has one of said chipsets.

The question that comes to my mind is how do "we" define compatible. "Working" and having proper drivers for the chipset designed for a particular OS can be two different things.

FYI, my Intel 945GCT-M3 motherboard is working just fine (98SE) with the only exception being the soundcard. I did not mention that I found a driver for the NIC card in the post linked to. I have to use Bearwindows VBEMP 9x driver for the video card and the hard drive is in compatibility mode (which could be remedied with Rloew's SATA patch or an IDE hard drive). IMO, that's compatible.

Edited by Steven W

Hmmm... you never did give a COMPLETE step-by-step over there. Which INF's did you install and in what order? I have that thread marked as "watch" so I wouldn't have to repeat your trial-and-error (having the same board).

note: It APPEARS that the INF's are "altered" to work with 98SE. I say that because the "set" looks eerily familiar. If so, it may be POSSIBLE to do the same for the 965 (by comparisons)?

Note: It APPEARS that the INF's are "altered" to work with 98SE. I say that because the "set" looks eerily familiar. If so, it may be POSSIBLE to do the same for the 965 (by comparisons)?
xrayer's driver supports ICH7 chipsets 945/946/975/955/31/41. He added driver for ICH10 chipsets, but it can be that the driver doesn't work correctly. I've tested successfully the driver for G31, G41, i945. The intel onboard graphics and sound aren't supported by the driver.

Weeeeell,

it seems things are never as clearly cut as they seem in the dark of night...

Sorry to all, (and esp. Galahs) that i have been so fast with my opinion, sometimes to have a thread stay and mature for some days can do wonders...

So, what i said is and remains true regarding the official drivers, but i see that the tech whizkids already solved the problem for some chipsets... ;-)

Take care, and just go on like this!

Regards,

Ragnar G.D.

The question that comes to my mind is how do "we" define compatible. "Working" and having proper drivers for the chipset designed for a particular OS can be two different things.

FYI, my Intel 945GCT-M3 motherboard is working just fine (98SE) with the only exception being the soundcard. I did not mention that I found a driver for the NIC card in the post linked to. I have to use Bearwindows VBEMP 9x driver for the video card and the hard drive is in compatibility mode (which could be remedied with Rloew's SATA patch or an IDE hard drive). IMO, that's compatible.

IMO there should be two separate categories here. One for "working" hardware that can run, but doesn't have a full set of drivers, and another for "compatible" hardware that has a full set of drivers.

I would consider having to use the VBE9X driver a serious limitation. It's a good driver, and has many uses, but the lack of being able to use non-full screen DOS boxes is an irritating problem.

(Sorry I don't have more to add at the moment guys, I need to see if I have any hardware laying around that uses these chipsets and find the time to do some testing. :wacko: I've been content to build all of my 9x systems with 845/865/875 chipsets so I haven't looked into the issue before.)

Edited by LoneCrusader

IMO there should be two separate categories here. One for "working" hardware that can run, but doesn't have a full set of drivers, and another for "compatible" hardware that has a full set of drivers.

I would consider having to use the VBE9X driver a serious limitation. It's a good driver, and has many uses, but the lack of being able to use non-full screen DOS boxes is an irritating problem.

(Sorry I don't have more to add at the moment guys, I need to see if I have any hardware laying around that uses these chipsets and find the time to do some testing. :wacko: I've been content to build all of my 9x systems with 845/865/875 chipsets so I haven't looked into the issue before.)

I agree. You can see in that post that I'm having issues with Firefox 10.x ESR, although I suspect part of that is poor coding on Mozilla's part. A Google search backs up that assumption (hardware acceleration isn't being truly disabled). I suspect other issues would come up for graphic intensive games, and serious high-res videos. That's not to mention the sound card, even though hdaudbus.sys is working, the sound card still isn't even detected. Even if it were detected there'd still be that matter of drivers. So yeah, it's not perfect.

There was a post in another thread by LoneCrusader mentioning the existence of chipset drivers for i925 usable on Win9x.

I downloaded the package but did not get a chance to play with it yet. I'm not saying they exist for 965, but there might be a little hope.

Mmmm... sadly, the INF's in the package are all 2K and up (depending on the INF). Whether they could be "modded" and used is apparently still up for debate. It would have to be done by someone who has one of said chipsets.

I extracted the package with Universal Extractor on an XP machine. submix8c is right, all of the .INF files have "Signature="$Windows NT$"" and the package makes no mention of 9x/ME anywhere inside. :(

However... :unsure:

It looks like all this package (and the last working package for 9x) contains is a bunch of .INF and .CAT files. Unless I'm missing something here, all one should have to do is modify the .INF's to be 9x-compatible (as xrayer has done), because the only purpose they are serving is to specifically identify the devices on the motherboard. I'm not seeing any .SYS files or the like that would require Windows 2K/XP for compatibility. The real problem would seem to be finding drivers for video, sound, ethernet, and other integrated devices that actually have driver files other than .INF's.

(Or am I REALLY missing something here?? :ph34r: )