Do You have the latest Intel Chipset Driver (esp. for P965)?

ragnargd

However... :unsure:

It looks like all this package (and the last working package for 9x) contains is a bunch of .INF and .CAT files. Unless I'm missing something here, all one should have to do is modify the .INF's to be 9x-compatible (as xrayer has done), because the only purpose they are serving is to specifically identify the devices on the motherboard. I'm not seeing any .SYS files or the like that would require Windows 2K/XP for compatibility. The real problem would seem to be finding drivers for video, sound, ethernet, and other integrated devices that actually have driver files other than .INF's.

(Or am I REALLY missing something here?? :ph34r: )

Well, since I never used an Intel board with 9x/ME (it's been a long time since I moved on to AMD and VIA/SIS/nVidia), I hadn't realised that to be the case, but if the package is just a bunch of .INFs and .CATs, then it's simpler still: while editing to make it compatible with 9x/ME, remove all mentions to the .CABs, and they may be left out alltogether, too. That would create an easy-to-extend-and-to-maintain .INF-only generic package for Intel chipsets.

The real problem would seem to be finding drivers for video, sound, ethernet, and other integrated devices that actually have driver files other than .INF's.
That's what I have been able to "deduce". Video seems to be "circumvented" with (is it called?) VBEMP (See the eMachine thread)? Ethernet (may) be ok depending on the manufacturer. Sound also UNLESS HDaudio. SATA - see rloew's site and MSFN comments. The remainder(?) - dunno. "Generally" that would be it(?).

There was a post in another thread by LoneCrusader mentioning the existence of chipset drivers for i925 usable on Win9x.

I downloaded the package but did not get a chance to play with it yet. I'm not saying they exist for 965, but there might be a little hope.

Mmmm... sadly, the INF's in the package are all 2K and up (depending on the INF). Whether they could be "modded" and used is apparently still up for debate. It would have to be done by someone who has one of said chipsets.

I extracted the package with Universal Extractor on an XP machine. submix8c is right, all of the .INF files have "Signature="$Windows NT{:content:}quot;" and the package makes no mention of 9x/ME anywhere inside.  :(

However...  :unsure:

It looks like all this package (and the last working package for 9x) contains is a bunch of .INF and .CAT files. Unless I'm missing something here, all one should have to do is modify the .INF's to be 9x-compatible (as xrayer has done), because the only purpose they are serving is to specifically identify the devices on the motherboard. I'm not seeing any .SYS files or the like that would require Windows 2K/XP for compatibility. The real problem would seem to be finding drivers for video, sound, ethernet, and other integrated devices that actually have driver files other than .INF's.

(Or am I REALLY missing something here??  :ph34r: )

ICH8 Update for xrayer's driver. Unfortunately I can't test it. I added Q963, Q/P/G965 to the "945.inf" file and 925X/XE to the "915.inf file". I hope somebody check it out. I really can't say if it works. I haven't such a board.

I had forgotten the ICH8 SMBus Controller. I added it on Wednesday the 21. November 2012.

Ich8.zip

Edited by schwups

ICH8 Update for xrayer's driver. Unfortunately I can't test it. I added Q963, Q/P/G965 to the "945.inf" file and 925X/XE to the "915.inf file". I hope somebody check it out. I really can't say if it works. I haven't such a board.

As i usually don't use onboard sound/lan, but use triple-boot-compatible addon-cards, it might work for me. it will take some days to try out, though, as my 965-board is still some kilometres away. for now i bought a 4coredual-sata2 r2.0, and a q6600, and an audigy. i'll try my freshly gained hot skillz on those first... B-)

Edited by ragnargd

• 1 month later...

Hello schwups,

can you please add ICH8USB stuff, I have a bunch of "STANDARD UNIVERSAL PCI TO USB HOST CONTROLLERS" that I would like to use to their full potential...

Other than that, great work! However all my 9xx based boards are a pain to set up because the SETUP.EXE does not do what it's supposed to, I have to install every device by hand.

Is this fixable?

All the best,

Eric

Hello schwups,

can you please add ICH8USB stuff, I have a bunch of "STANDARD UNIVERSAL PCI TO USB HOST CONTROLLERS" that I would like to use to their full potential...

Other than that, great work! However all my 9xx based boards are a pain to set up because the SETUP.EXE does not do what it's supposed to, I have to install every device by hand.

Is this fixable?

All the best,

Eric

1. Yes I could add ICH8USB, but USB works on my ICH7 machines with xrayers driver in USB 1.1 mode. Therefore I installed on each of my ME systems the MS ME USB 2.0 driver. You could try NUSB for your 98SE. 

2. I also install them by hand.