Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

multibooting Win xp/7/8/Linux on UEFI system

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

x509

x509

• Members
  • 28 posts
I just finished scanning the multiboot sticky, but I didn't find any mentions of UEFI-based motherboards. And I can't find any commercial multiboot products that claim UEFI support. I'm interested in using a commercial product because I spent some time investigating GRUB and found it too much of a hassle just to save $30-$50.

In about a month (budget permitting :unsure: ) I plan to do a MAJOR upgrade to my main system, which runs Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. ASUS P9 X79 Pro, Intel 3930K, 16 or maybe even 32 GB RAM, and watercooled :thumbup . I organize my storage so that Windows and programs are installed on C: and my data files, music, pictures, downloads, and backup files are on three physical disks with partitions D, E, F, and H. From what I have read, Win 7 is smart enough recognize new devices and automagically install new drivers, so there is no need to re-install Windows. I recently bought an SSD from Corsair that included one-click software to migrate Windows from an HDD to an SSD. I did that for a recent laptop upgrade, and it worked perfectly. So the only real issue is that my current Windows drive is MBR-based.

When I upgrade to the new motherboard, which is UEFI, I want to simply plug in my boot drive and data drives. When I do this upgrade, can I still use a multiboot tool like Terabyteunlimited or Boot-US, to multiboot? I like using those tools because I can have totally independent Win 7 (or other) installs. I used an approach described on My Digital Life to install Windows without the extra 100 MB system partition http://www.mydigital...7-installation/ and that worked perfectly. that means that I don't have to edit the BCD file and that each Windows install is completely unaware of the others.

So what do I do going forward?:unsure: My objective is to multiboot a UEFI-based system with "hiding" all boot partitions except the one I'm interested in. I'll freely admit that I have no hands-on experience at this time with a UEFI BIOS. :D

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN