my pc broke - system service exception

colore

Hello!

After trying to move, merge, delete, etc some partitions in my system, using EaseUS, I got a bsod (maybe Avast prevented it and it crashed? who knows)

After reboot, my winxp in windows explorer, shows my disk with wrong total size and in disk manager, winxp shows the disk with the wrong total capacity in the list, but with the correct capacity in the graphical appearance at the bottom, however all blue and without any unallocated space!

Moreover, after reboot and some seconds after winxp logon, i get a bsod saying system "service exception"

In safe mode, the system seems stable, but it also reports incorrectly the total disk size

what can I do?

Thanks!

For now, go to the movies, or do anything else, but keep your hands out of the machine and wait.

Give people at least 24h for posting and suggestions, before deciding what to do.

Cool heads and good planning are always a sound strategy. And Murphy's Law, one's worst enemy.

On Sat 9/29/2012 5:34:53 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: D:\(System)\Desktop\Mini092912-06\Mini092912-06.dmp

uptime: 00:01:52

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x2E890)

Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800012A1FD9, 0xFFFFFADF891C0D90, 0x0)

Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

file path: C:\WINNT\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff558949(v=vs.85).aspx

I would do as previously advised and check the disk for errors.

Click Start > Run > chkdsk /r

A command window will open asking you if you want to check the disk the next time the system restarts . Press Y

Reboot

If all else fails, do a full format(not quick) on the entire disk (deleting any partitions) and reinstall and then use your backup to restore any files you need.

Edited by -X-

Are those 195GB the actual size of your C: drive before you "tried" whatever you tried (by the way, "after trying to move, merge, delete, etc some partitions" is quite a poor description of what happened or did not happen). :}

you have disk issue:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in. Typically caused by
a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - A device which does not exist was specified.

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7a_c000000e

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7a_c000000e

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

MODULE_NAME: hardware_disk

IMAGE_NAME: hardware_disk

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

MODULE_NAME: hardware_disk

IMAGE_NAME: hardware_disk

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

the system service exception happen when opening a regiustry hive on the HDD. So this is also an hardware issue

Run chkdsk as suggest and also run a diagnostic tool from your HDD manufacture and also backup all personal data asap !!!!

NO.

First thing is to IMAGE or CLONE that disk on another disk or however backup the DATA (unless you have a proper backup of all the valuable DATA on it)

I don't want to scare :ph34r: you, but you have to understand the risks involved.

By running CHKDSK /R you have very good chances to fix the issue :thumbup , BUT since you don't know:

1. how many bad sectors you have
  2. what caused them (some hardware faults may cause the number of bad sectors to "spread")

Every single boot, access, every single second the disk is powered on may reduce chances of recovering data from it. :w00t:

ONLY IF and WHEN you have your DATA safely backed up, proceed with CHKDSK /R (and with checking the disk with the Manufacturer utility)

jaclaz

running chkdisk has stopped the bsod, but the wrong size indication in explorer is still there!

Are those 195GB the actual size of your C: drive before you "tried" whatever you tried (by the way, "after trying to move, merge, delete, etc some partitions" is quite a poor description of what happened or did not happen). :}

no, the actual size of my drive is 500GB and it appeared like that previously

as for what actually happened: I tried to delete a partition and then resize my primary partition to include all the disk size, with EaseUS

after it freezed and I killed it, I got that bsod and errors