Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Multiboot USB issues

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

brenryan

brenryan
  • 1 posts
Possible noob question (Please don't flame me! You don't have to reply if you don't want to!)

Hi all,

I have been having some issues creating a multiboot USB, namely XP and Win7 will not install. Also having trouble booting Backtrack5 in live mode.

One of the problems is that there are just so many guides out there, I don't know where to begin! so hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.

I want to get a multiboot USB with the following features

XP Pro SP3 installation
Win7 Installation
Ubuntu live
Kaspersky Rescue
Clonezilla
System Rescue CD
Backtrack5
My companys proprietary installation CD (.iso)
Partition Magic
And Active@ file recovery

I tried using several applications to do this, xboot, sardu and YUMI with no success, XP and Win7 will not install.

I would like to end up using xboot as I can easily change the menu background image, but whatever works would be fine.

It's just that there are so many guides out there that I am having so much trouble. If somebody could please point me in the right direction and let me know what software and guide I should follow, I would be extremely grateful!

Many thanks,

And apologies for the noobish questions!!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

csmith

csmith
  • 1 posts
I have been running across the same issues. I can get 1 OS to boot (either XP, vista or 7), but not more than one at a time. My idea to proceed at this point is to attempt to create a multiboot disc and then copy to flash drive and possibly try an additional partition on the same drive if possible. I would really like to have a disc for an IT guy. You know, all OSs from XP-8 with Server additions and other useful utils. I will update with any progress.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,188 posts
Try looking around this sub-forum and use a different tool/method. You're currently looking/asking in the MultiBoot CD/DVD subforum and the one I gave the link to is specifically for USB. CD/DVD and USB work entirely differently. ;)

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Reboot.pro might have usefull informations for you.

They have a driver called firadisk. Grub4Dos can copy a whole ISO into RAM. It's slow but it works. However, when the Iso contains windows it will crash afterwards because windows don't know how to read the virtual-CD from RAM (only grub does). Firadisk is fixing this problem, helping windows to continue running from virtual disc in RAM, grub created. This is acutally meant for PE-discs like bartspe. But maybe it's possible to integrate the firadisk driver into XP-Setup somehow to run a whole installation from RAM.

Edit:

Here another link with a similar topic. Please post your attempts if you should try it.

Edited by whocares02, 04 April 2014 - 03:43 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,188 posts

More than one year later, whocares02 bumps a topic for no apparent reason. The OP has long since gone and undoubtedly won't respond back. :w00t:

(Are you stalking me? :ph34r: )

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

:lol: LOL, didn't see the date. Just postet in some threat with view answers! But yes, I recognized you are very active here as well.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

Additionally there are dedicated topics to install XP from USB that actually use a .iso image mounted through either Firadisk or Winvblock either as ramdisk or filedisk here:

http://www.msfn.org/...ndows-from-usb/

and on RMPREPUSB site:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

It's just an idea....wouldn't it be nice if such an iso-mount was combined with netboot? Just typed in "netboot" in forum-search, resulting:

No results found for 'netboot'.

Szenario could be: XP-ISO residing on a stick, plugged in a router of a home-network. Every computer in the house had access to the stick and  could get a fresh (unttended) setup, streamed over internal network. Never done netboot before. Not sure how realistic this is.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

It's just an idea....wouldn't it be nice if such an iso-mount was combined with netboot? Just typed in "netboot" in forum-search, resulting:

Which is "normal" :yes:, since the procedure is not called "netboot", but rather "RIS install" or "PXE boot" or "boot from LAN" (and you will find more info for this on reboot.pro, including a dedicated subforum), here:

http://reboot.pro/fo...-boot-from-lan/

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,188 posts

Diskless Workstation - an old concept and used at one time "back in the day".

http://www.webopedia...orkstation.html

http://www.computerh.../d/diskwork.htm

All the way back to Windows 3.x.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Diskless_node

You need a better terminology/synonym book.

Or maybe (after a google of "netboot") you confuse Linux terminology? :unsure:

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

@submix8c

But if the idea is to do a RIS install the "diskless" station must have a disk ;) on which you install the XP after having PXE booted to the server :whistle:.

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,188 posts

Referring not to Installs but Remote Diskless Workstations. Gave the "Win3.x" as an early (and used) example.

The MS KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/114425

Another example - http://www.netbsd.or...etwork/netboot/

Same concept, different end result.

Simply pointing out the "misnomer" that was given in the search for "netboot", of which I said googled. ;)

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Just found a few infos about PXE. It looks rather complicate. As far as I understood, someone needs to setup a Smb-Server, a special tftp-server, a special dhcp-server and provide a special folder-structure on smb-share with special file-modifications of setup-files. All this just to make possible a network-boot-disk might find the setup-files.

:unsure: ...doesn't sound straight-forward actually...

It's easier just inserting a CD than booting-up another PC in network providing all neccesary servers.

Edited by whocares02, 06 April 2014 - 01:54 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,188 posts

????

ONE server!

How do you come to the conclusions that you do (quite erroneously I might add)?

http://technet.micro...sktopfiles.aspx

Here - try this "simplified" approach (disclaimer - have NOT used this) -

http://www.rmprepusb...tutorials/serva

Also look here -

http://diddy.boot-land.net/pxe/

One Server, all Server Services necessary, PXE boot from Client to Single Server, and Go-Go! I do believe the NIC has to have PXE built into the Firmware as well. The newer built-in NIC has either RIS (older), or PXE (usually), or Both.

Generally in Corporate Environments it's a lot easier to set up the Server, go to each PC and PXE boot them. And it IS much faster than using a slower CD/DVD in this case. You can also, if the SIF/XML and Server is properly set up, just walk away from each one.

Edited by submix8c, 06 April 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Sorry, I don't get you.

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

More preferable was something like this:

grub4dos-cd -> som mini-linux -> usual access to router-shares -> booting iso (residing on router) with grub4dos and firadisk -> installing windows.

I know it's possible just using grub to boot something else direktly out of a running linux.
Problem is: connection might get lost doing so. RAMDisk might be the only option (if possible). However, large ISOs (DVDs) would take a lot of time until transmitted and loaded.

Edited by whocares02, 06 April 2014 - 02:16 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,188 posts

I give up! You even posted before my Edit was complete.

Fine - this is Burger King - Have It Your Way. ;)

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

:lol: What? I don't get anything. I'm talking about NAS: Network attached storage. I believe PXE-boot is technically interesting. However, when it's neccesary setting up another computer, working as server, the whole concept of NAS is lost. It's not a replacement for inserting a CD then.

Edited by whocares02, 06 April 2014 - 02:48 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

:lol: What? I don't get anything. I'm talking about NAS: Network attached storage. I believe PXE-boot is technically interesting. However, when it's neccesary setting up another computer, working as server, the whole concept of NAS is lost. It's not a replacement for inserting a CD then.

Well, if you take some time on the mentioned reboot.pro sub-forum, you may find out that there are other (faster) transfer protocols than TFTP, like - as an example - like http, or iSCSI or AoE.

Since in any case *something* must be "served" of course there must be a *server* running on the LAN.

A number of NAS devices/setups can obviously run such servers, though of course most "closed" commercial NAS units need to be modified in order to do so.

Your "new" idea:

More preferable was something like this:

grub4dos-cd -> som mini-linux -> usual access to router-shares -> booting iso (residing on router) with grub4dos and firadisk -> installing windows.

is more similar to the PING project (which is around since years):

http://ping.windowsdream.com/ping.html

Now, since a very good idea when installing a Windows is to have a local source, one could use a similar approach to download the.iso locally (or to make a local \I386 directory).

Alternatively one could "normally" boot a minimal PE from "local" and from it run either WINNT32 or - possibly - WINNTSETUP:

http://www.msfn.org/...winntsetup-v33/

Nowadays the limit is only the fantasy, though of course "complex" ways of booting install are "complex" and cannot be "simple".

"Simple" is booting from a USB stick and install from it (and it is normally much faster than CD/DVD), though stiil - personally - I like to have the "local" source, which BTW normally avoids (particularly on a machine that has not a CD/DVD drive the "Insert the Windows Install CD" message/show-stopper ;)).

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Ping looks interesting. Did I get it right that someone just needs to share an iso on network and ping finds it? Website doesn't provide too much informations. How is installation done? Does Ping copy the whole file first?

I think what I was actually looking for was some tool like firadisk but for network-connections. Makes no sense to me buying a Wifi-HDD to boot up another computer in addition. Why the Wifi-HDD then? Hard disk storage can be provided by some server as well.

Edited by whocares02, 07 April 2014 - 08:01 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

Ping looks interesting. Did I get it right that someone just needs to share an iso on network and ping finds it? Website doesn't provide too much informations. How is installation done? Does Ping copy the whole file first?

I think what I was actually looking for was some tool like firadisk but for network-connections. Makes no sense to me buying a Wifi-HDD to boot up another computer in addition. Why the Wifi-HDD then? Hard disk storage can be provided by some server as well.

The "Windows installer" is actually WINNER, same approach than PING:

http://ping.windowsd...com/winner.html

The procedure is simple enough (and also documented graphically):

http://ping.windowsd.../doc/using.html

http://ping.windowsd...doc/using2.html

You can most probably do a "hybrid" between the "local DVD "and the "PXE booting"

But, as said, if you don't want to PXE boot (for which a PXE server is needed) you can normally boot to *any* local media, and then run any *environment* - locally capable of downloading the .iso (or the sysprepped disk image or *whatever*) and run the install.

Of course this makes no or little sense, if you anyway boot from local, you can boot to *something* that also contains the install sources.

The only exception "target" may be an extremely small number of systems, without CD/DVD drive and that cannot boot from USB sticks bigger than 256 or 512 Mb, quite a rare case.

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Using winner means creating a custom winner-disk. No no no, I'm too lazy for this.

you can normally boot to *any* local media, and then run any *environment* - locally capable of downloading the .iso (or the sysprepped disk image or *whatever*) and run the install.

Correct me if I'm wrong but usually you can't, since many setups won't find the virtual-CD-source, especially when it's a network-share. Even when downloading an image to local disk before setup - let's say of linux - it should loose the grub-mount-point as soon as the kernel is loaded.

Stick as an alternative is a possible way of course. Just wanted to know if there was a network-way, usable as easy as plugging a stick.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

Stick as an alternative is a possible way of course. Just wanted to know if there was a network-way, usable as easy as plugging a stick.

And as said, there is, it is called PXE booting, it needs a PXE server, it is not the easiest thing in the world, but nowadays is doable with very little effort.

If you boot form a "local" device, you need a "local" device, if you want to boot from network (remotely), you need a server to serve the boot-image, you cannot expect that by sheer magic images are served through the network.

Nothing prevents you from making however a USB stick (or even a CD/DVD) to boot a minimal system with just a PXE server (on the "remote" machine), and then normally PXE boot the "local" machine, but again it is overkill.

Consider that any "other" machine in the network can be (even temporarily) a PXE server, i.e. you do not need to run a "dedicated" server, just a working TFTP+PXE+BINL setup on *any* machine on the network, you just start the TFTP32+BINL and/or "Serva" and/or (advised)  "Tiny PXE Server" program, then go to the machine to which you want to make the new install and PXE boot it.

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

No thank you. Seems what I was looking for doesn't exist. Seems I'm the only one missing a client-only based solution. Hoped for a discussion with other interested people.

ou cannot expect that by sheer magic images are served through the network.

well, I can...because with wifi-hdds they are served "magically" through a network. It just seems there's just no (TSR-) loader being able installing from them. It's not your fault jaclaz. It just didn't get developed up to now. I of course also can't expect tools like grub4d0s or firadisk. Nevertheless they do exist, hence my question.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,024 posts

No thank you. Seems what I was looking for doesn't exist. Seems I'm the only one missing a client-only based solution. Hoped for a discussion with other interested people.

ou cannot expect that by sheer magic images are served through the network.

well, I can...because with wifi-hdds they are served "magically" through a network. It just seems there's just no (TSR-) loader being able installing from them. It's not your fault jaclaz. It just didn't get developed up to now. I of course also can't expect tools like grub4d0s or firadisk. Nevertheless they do exist, hence my question.

But again, most probably they do exist, in the form of a (minimal) OS, i.e. a PE or a Linux that can boot locally and access the (wi-fi) network.

If you think about it (and supposing you are by now familiar with recent grub4dos releases), grub4dos is now a (very minimal) OS that can even run batch files and specific programs, and  even NTLDR or BOOTMGR are in themselves a (still minimal and additionally non-interactive) mini-OS.

So, the whole point only becomes the size of such minimal OS.

I would estimate it in around 30 Mb or so for a PE 1.x and in around 150 Mb or so for a PE 2.x/3.x/4.x/5.x, and possibly below the 30 Mb for a Linux.

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN