Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Multiboot USB issues

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

How would you force such a background-OS not getting aborted as soon as some other environment gets chain-loaded? Let's say you boot-linux and call BartsPE, using grub. I suggest bartspe would just hard-reset linux as soon as it's graphical interfaces pops up. However you need to keep the network-connection in background, when bartspe-iso is streamed from a NAS.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,402 posts

How would you force such a background-OS not getting aborted as soon as some other environment gets chain-loaded? Let's say you boot-linux and call BartsPE, using grub. I suggest bartspe would just hard-reset linux as soon as it's graphical interfaces pops up. However you need to keep the network-connection in background, when bartspe-iso is streamed from a NAS.

Booting Linux to boot a BartPE from the network makes no sense, you can boot the BartPE locally instead of the Linux (though you can use the Linux to download *something* from the network, store it in a RAM area and then boot the *whatever* is in this RAM area).

We were talking of installing a NT based OS.

As said, the procedure in this case would be to make (which is BTW "good" practice) a "local" copy of the install files (still if we are talking of NT/2K/XP/2003, later systems may differ).

A minimal PE can access a "network drive" just fine, and a tool like WINNTSETUP:

http://www.msfn.org/...v33-v34-beta-1/

should work fine using as "source" a network drive.

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

You just wrote:

But again, most probably they do exist, in the form of a (minimal) OS, i.e. a PE or a Linux that can boot locally and access the (wi-fi) network.

Now you tell me:

Booting Linux to boot a BartPE from the network makes no sense,

It doesn't matter if booting BartPE makes sense or not. Problem is always the same: On a NAS, holding several Isos (e.g. WinXP, BartPE, PartedMagic, Ubuntu, Win7, Antivir-disk and whatever-else) none of them can be booted from a miniOS since they're all not be able to continue running from RAMDisk or holding the network-connection the miniOS created. As soon as a new OS-environment is loaded, all pre-configurations are forgotten. Exception is firadisk, though it's only for ramdisks.

The "good practice" you describe is very slow and not usefull for DVD-Isos. Only new computers have 4GB RAM or more. Loading/transferring-time was unbearable with pre-loading such an iso.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,402 posts

Well,

a good practice is a "good practice".

In the case of deciding to have not a PXE server (not a WinAoE, nor a iScsi one) in the network it becomes "only possible practice".

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

yes, seems to me as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN